Double bike trailer that converts to single

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I'm looking for a bike trailer that can be a double this summer, but a single next summer. I want the single child to sit in the centre of the seat, not off to the side as I won't ever be using it as a double again. I see that several have the seat divided so that when you put a single kid in, they just sit on one side.

The Burley D'Lite instructions seem to show that when a single child is in, you must put them in the centre. And you don't have to make adjustments, you just use the inner harness strap from each of the outer position. This simplicity is what I need as this summer I can see the baby going in on the way there, then TechnoKid needing a ride on the way back.

I think the Chariots have the divided seat so a single rider sits to one side? Can anyone confirm?

Are there any other options I should consider? I prefer the higher end trailers and will definitely need a stroller accessory and likely an infant insert/snuggler for this summer.

ADS

bccrst

you can put a single child in teh centre of a double chariot, no problem. I'll see if I can find a pic of DS in ours to give you an idea.

bccrst

Hmmm, I can't seem to find a picture (I know the exact pic I'm looking for, but can't find it on the computer...grr!) but all you do is unclick the harness from the sides, and redo it in the centre. Hopefully that makes sense? It's super easy to do :)

bccrst

It was a Cougar2. I loved loved loved that thing. So much that after I sold it, I turned right around and bought a single (I didn't think I needed it anymore, but missed it so much after I sold it, that I bought another, LOL). They hold their value EXTREMELY well, and are pretty quick to sell when you're done using it.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I just found a video on their site with how to switch from double to single. I'm not sure why I thought they had a separate seat that didn't allow this.

So at least I have the option of Chariots or Burleys now! Cool!

Now to talk DH into it. He seems to think our single is fine even though I'd have to try out different manufacturers infant inserts for it to work with the baby and TechnoKid will have to walk home which is sometimes tiring after a kind day at the beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Okay, can you get deals on Chariots in Canada? Pretty sure they won't allow their U.S. dealers to ship to Canada, and I'm not sure if the pricing is that much better in the U.S. anyway. But I can see a light in DH's head that says he knows a double would be useful for us, but he doesn't think it's useful enough to spend that much money on a Chariot for the few times we'll need it as a double.

Used yes I know, but here the used ones are several years old and I'm just not good with used unless it's barely used and same as the current models...although I'll go check Kijiji just in case.

Anyone know anything about the Burley D'Lite's reclining seat? I think that feature would be so useful, I hated when TechnoKid fell asleep in our single, as trailers tend to have such upright seats.

ETA: nothing local to me except a couple older Cheetah 2's which I don't want or a CX for $1200 and doesn't even have the bike attachment.

bccrst

It's really ahrd to get a "deal" on a Chariot in Canada, from what I remember. AFAIK (and maybe it has changed since 2 yrs ago) Chariot sets the pricing, and dealers aren't "allowed" to sell for less. I did manage to get 30% off the pod and all the attachments when I bought our single in 2010, but that was due to the store switching out all their summer stock for winter stuff (it was a bike/snow shop). I remember wondering at the time if they were actually allowed to do it, since everywhere else had been very firm in their pricing.

I think I remember someone in the US getting one at REI with a coupon, so maybe that's a possibility, if you have a way of getting it back here?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Urgh. Ya that's what I thought. And they are so expensive. I know they're good, but if I didn't need/want a double for this summer, what we have is a good one too so it's a lot of money to buy one to use for a few trips as a double stroller! :ROTFLMAO: Next summer it would be used a trailer but I think TechnoKid will be too tall for it so only the baby will use it. Heck, TechnoKid might be too tall for it already. I'll have to go to some bike stores this week and see. Every bike store in this city was closed today. GRRRR.

I have a U.S. forwarding address I can use, but by the time I paid the forwarding fees, shipping, tax, etc. I'm sure I'd negate any savings.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
It looks like the BabyJogger Pod would work for me too. I wonder if I could get a better deal on that somewhere?

ETA: Maybe not, no infant accessory. Also seems you have to rethread harness to turn into single, not quick buckles like Chariot. The handle height adjustment is annoying too, you have to flip it over. Not quick for DH and I to swap out who's pushing.

Last edited:

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I got my Cougar 2 with the REI 30% off coupon. And then brought it to Canada. Otherwise, you're pretty stuck with Canadian pricing.

-N.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC