data to back me up on no booster lap belt

Nimommyof2

So head against wall here having a discussion on another site about lapbelts and according to one person whose cousin is a cop you are supposed to wear a lap belt with a booster till you are the correct weight.

Anyone have some more info on the dangers?

Also would it be safer front seat with booster/airbag or back seat lap belt?

ADS

bubbaray

Every dedicated booster on the market in North America prohibits use with a lap only belt. Cop is right only if he means lap/shoulder belt. Most jurisdictions also have a proper use clause and using a booster with a lap only belt is contrary to the manual (& very dangerous).

Personally I would put a child in the front seat in a LBB before I put a child in a lap only belt.

ETA. See this link for never use booster with lap only belt. http://www.icbc.com/road-safety/safer-drivers/child-seats

Nimommyof2

I said the same thing about the front seat but a couple people were like air bags kill children:) Which I replied so do lap only belts. I copied and pasted the link from Alberta health services that said all booster seats have to be used with lap/shoulder belts in Canada but the one person said it doesn't say you can't just use a lap belt.

So fustrating that cops will give out misinformation, what started the discussion was one person asking my advice as they know I'm a carseat fanatic and than another person said check with your local police fire station, and than today said she asked her cop cousin said you have to use a lap be with the booster, they said a weight which i want to know what weight they are talking about since you don't have to weigh a magic weight to outgrow a booster seat.

Shanora

*bang head on wall*
Tell them to read the manual for their booster seats. They can ONLY be used with a Lap/Shoulder Belt. Also its illegal in Alberta for a child who is under the weight limit to use a booster seat.

Shanora

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3KXZQu4niA"]booster lap only - YouTube[/ame]
this is Canadian. http://www.cps.ca/English/surveillance/cpsp/studies/lap-belt_syndrome.htm 25% of paraplegia among patients with lumbar spine fractures in lap-belt syndrome.
http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/4921.asp

Most of Section 65 of the Alberta traffic act is below. Note the differences in age and weight.

65(1) In this section,
(a) "child" means a child under the age of 6 years whose
weight does not exceed 18 kilograms;
(b) "motor vehicle" does not include a motor cycle or moped;
(c) "seat belt assembly" means a device or assembly that
(i) is securely fastened to a motor vehicle,
(ii) is composed of straps, webbing or similar material
and includes a pelvic restraint or an upper torso
restraint, or both,
(iii) is capable of restraining the movement of a person in
order to prevent or mitigate injury to the person, and
(iv) meets the standards prescribed under the Motor
Vehicle Safety Act (Canada).
(2) No person shall, on a highway, operate a motor vehicle
registered under the Motor Vehicle Administration Act in which a
child is a passenger unless
(a) the motor vehicle is equipped with the prescribed child
seating assembly,
(b) the child seating assembly is properly installed, and
(c) the child is occupying and is properly secured in the child
seating assembly.
(3) Where a motor vehicle is operated on a highway and it is
equipped with a seat belt assembly
(a) in the seating position that is occupied by the driver, the
driver shall wear the complete seat belt assembly, and
(b) in a seating position that is occupied by a passenger over
the age of 15 years, the passenger shall wear the complete
seat belt assembly.
(4) No person shall, on a highway, operate a motor vehicle in
which a passenger
(a) who has attained the age of 6 years but is under the age of
16 years, or
(b) who is a child weighing more than 18 kilograms
occupies a seating position for which a seat belt assembly is
provided unless that passenger is wearing the complete seat belt
assembly.

Page 12 - http://www.albertaseatbelts.ca/files/AORP Instructors Manual FINAL June 06.pdf

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
booster lap only - YouTube
this is Canadian. http://www.cps.ca/English/surveillance/cpsp/studies/lap-belt_syndrome.htm 25% of paraplegia among patients with lumbar spine fractures in lap-belt syndrome.
http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/4921.asp

Most of Section 65 of the Alberta traffic act is below. Note the differences in age and weight.

Page 12 - http://www.albertaseatbelts.ca/files/AORP Instructors Manual FINAL June 06.pdf

The code has all changed and the numbers are different, but the basics are much the same.

Also - all boosters have warnings on the stickers ON the seat itself to not use with a lap-only belt. The person on the board needs to find out what kind of training the police officer has and whether he is actually certified or just was taught what sections of the act to write tickets under...

I believe I've quoted the current highway traffic safety act in posts before, but you can find it on the Queen's press. The current act has the information start at 80 and runs through until the end of 83.

Specifically Alberta proper use can be found here:

82 (1) A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle in which a child who weighs 18 kilograms or less is a passenger unless:
(a) the motor vehicle is equipped with a child restraint system,
(b) the child restraint system is properly installed, and
(c) the child is properly secured in the child restraint system.

and

(3) A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle that has a seat belt assembly in the passenger seat position unless the passenger in the seat is wearing the complete seat belt assembly if the passenger

(a) is 6 years old or older but under the age of 16 years, or
(b) is a child who weighs more than 18 kilograms
(4) A person who is required to wear a seat belt assembly under subsection (2) or (3) shall wear the seat belt assembly properly adjusted and securely fastened.

If a booster seat is being used in Alberta, it must be used correctly. We don't have a booster seat law in Alberta, but they do issue tickets for incorrectly used booster seats. And depending on jurisdiction, they also issue tickets for seatbelts which don't fit properly. A seatbelt which is not properly adjusted or securely fastened can also be ticketed for.

What type of vehicle is this that doesn't have any lap/shoulder belts in the backseat? You have to go back to a pretty old vehicle to run in to that problem, so is it mostly theoretical, or are they trying to put a child in the middle?

eta: I don't have the #4 on my powerpoint instructor slides - I tried to condense the actual law in to a manageable number of slides. There is likely slight wording changes in there and the act number itself has changed, but the basics are still going to be the same. It's worth pointing out that the date on that link is from 2006 - I didn't open it to see what other information is in there, but much of it could be very outdated now.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC