BabiesRUs selling old floor model...........Canada

LoveMyBoyOB

Hi,

Last night my sister and I were at Babies R Us (St. Laurent in Ottawa, ON) and they were selling a FLOOR MODEL Evenflo carseat (the beige one with flowers on it). It is an older model, as I believe I saw it when my son was an infant........ 2 years ago. We asked to see the manager and told her it was illegal to sell a floor model, and she was snotty and said it wasn't. She stated that as long as they had the warranty (?) and all pieces for the seat, it was okay. So I said well how do you know its okay? Someone could do something to it as it has been a floor model for two freaking years. She says 'it is hard to tamper with a car seat, the only way you could do so was to smash it to the ground'. Ahem, I could go cut the straps at the back if I wanted to and noone would know. (Not that I would) I just can't believe that they are doing this..

Is it not illegal? I was 90% sure it was.... however, I'm not exactly sure the reasons to it.? I would NEVER, EVER buy a car seat from them. They had a sign that said "To return carseats, you need a recipet and a manual" UMMMMMM WHAT?!!!????!

ADS

amyd

It's not illegal to sell a floor model, no. But if the seat is really that old, it probably isn't 2012 compliant so would be illegal to sell on that basis.

Baylor

It's not illegal as far as I know. I don't have a big issue with floor models if the tags are there and I inspect it.

auto correct hates me

G

guest1

Re: BabiesRUs selling old floor model...........

Pretty sure it's legal. We bought my daughters seat there and we were considering buying the Britax Boulevard and the lady told me that if I wanted that seat I had to buy the floor model as that was all they had. I wasn't comfortable wtih that so we bought something else but yeah BRU definitely sells floor models.

jacqui276

Re: BabiesRUs selling old floor model...........

Lots of retailers sell floor models, so I am fairly certain that it is not illegal. I second the 2012 compliant issue though, which would make it illegal.

Our BRU (in NFLD) sells floor models. I've discussed in general conversation with them how they are instructed to judge whether or not the seat is ok to sell after being on the sales floor ( I was curious :p ) and their response was;
so long as the seat is not visibly damaged, known to have been mistreated, missing any parts or has been on the shelf for an extremely long time (months I guess) then they sell them. Not nice of that lady to be what sounds like defensive if you where only concerned for a child's safety though!

new2009

The Bay doesn't sell floor models, a few salespeople have told me on different occasions. Personally, I don't think it should be legal to sell floor models b/c you don't know whether it has been dropped or roughed around in the store.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Different BRU stores have different policies on selling display models, but it isn't illegal to sell a display model.

However - I am wondering about what the seat was? The system wouldn't actually allow a non-compliant seat to be sold - the number required to put it through the system simply would come up and the sale would have no way of being done. (That comes up on things that aren't recalled sometimes and we can't sell the item until the flag is removed by head office.)

I'd suggest going back to the store, and finding out the exact model # and date of manufacture of the seat. Some seats were replaced in identical fabrics from non-compliant to compliant seats, so the fabric itself really doesn't mean anything when it comes to the Evenflo seats. But I'm not actually sure what seat you're describing based on flowers - none of the Evenflo seats have had true flowers on them.

eta: If the store does have a non-compliant seat on the shelf, call the 1-800 toysrus number and talk to them there. I work at BRU and I know the number of stock checks that were done prior to January 1st and again when the new year hit. Every display and every box had to be checked. Some seats were compliant at the end of 2010, so perhaps it's a mix-up somewhere. Whatever the case may be, the system wouldn't let it be sold at the til, and you can bet that store would be contacted by head office very very fast if they do have a non-compliant display they're trying to sell.

bbartlettnfld

Our BRU here in St. John's has a floor model Breakers Nauti on for $159. I could see the floor model seats being damaged possibly in our BRU as they on on a high shelf which means that they are above virtually everyone's head!

I know Zellars was one place that didn't sell their floor models. Neither does Sears I don't think as I had to order an infant seat for my SIL and there was one on the floor.

BethAnn

jacqui276

I know Zellars was one place that didn't sell their floor models. Neither does Sears I don't think as I had to order an infant seat for my SIL and there was one on the floor.

BethAnn

I bought a floor model seat from Zellers not overly long ago. However, it was tied down to the shelf so people wouldn't have been able to throw it around much.

FrauDrA

new2009 said:
The Bay doesn't sell floor models, a few salespeople have told me on different occasions. Personally, I don't think it should be legal to sell floor models b/c you don't know whether it has been dropped or roughed around in the store.

Do some Bay stores still sell carseats? The stores in Vancouver (and Richmond) stopped a while ago :-(

amyd

FrauDrA said:
Do some Bay stores still sell carseats? The stores in Vancouver (and Richmond) stopped a while ago :-(

Ours does. Although the last time I looked there was a Dorel something or other with an 06 DOM :eek:

new2009

No, unfortunately, the Bay got out of the baby gear business last year I believe. That's when I saw some floor models on a great sale and they told me that they don't sell floor models.

I do wonder what stores do when customers return car seats. BRU has 45 day return policy so technically they could resell a car seat that was returned. How do we know that the car seat hasn't been tossed around?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC