lap belt vs. untethered carseat?

Nimommyof2

I know that the untethered carseat would be illegal but do you think a child would be safer in that than a lap belt? If you had no choice but a lapbelt or the carseat untethered what would you choose?

ADS

Nimommyof2

To add I have no intention of doing either but someone else is putting their five year old in only a lap belt and I just feel the carseat untethered would be safer and suck up the ticket. Plus maybe at some point they would get a tether. Also from reading on here the lapbelt is definitly better without the booster right? Is it illegal in Canada?(the lapbelt with booster)

Nimommyof2

I think its an old car with only lap belts from what I read on the post, I am pretty sure there is just the one kid so thats the only thing that makes sense. They said the front only has lap belts too so it kinda made me wonder if the seatbelts were even safe at all the whole situation seems unsafe but it got me wondering what would be the less dangerous I guess. I had orginally recomended putting the child in the passenger seat with it back as far as could be and put the adult in the lap belt but the said the passenger seat was lap only belt as well.

jacqui276

I don't know if it is illegal or not to use a lap belt only with a booster, but my understanding is that it is safer to use just a lap belt over a lap belt with booster.

I would get a tether anchor installed (a lot of dealerships here in Calgary will do it for free on cars that don't have them) and put the kid in a harnessed seat that is tethered.

...or a new inexpensive car that can safely transport their child? :shrug-shoulders:

tam_shops

You mean a 5yo that should be in a booster, which is illegal anyway, in nothing but a lap belt right? And, could result in a ticket.

So, the alternative would be something like a Graco Nautilus or a Evenflo Maestro w/ no top tether until one could be added, right? Also illegal until top tether can be added and could result in a ticket.

The only safe legal option would be a RF Radian if the child is under 45# and short enough.

Personally, if it were my kid, I'd have him in the 5pt no top tether, though I'd try to figure out a temporary tether until one could be added.

tam

Nimommyof2

sorry I am confused by your five year old illegal part Tam?? Is it illegal in alberta for a 5yr old to be without a booster? I thought it was 40lbs or 6yrs old whichever comes first.

Well I know what we would all do but thats not what I am asking

katymyers

A lap belt is super dangerous in any situation. Yes no tether is illegal in Canada but that would be the ONLY safe option in this situation. Adding a tether anchor ASAP should be a priority, or if the child is mature enough for a booster, three point lap-shoulder belts can be retrofitted in outboard seating positions. And just for reference a booster can NEVER be used with a lap only belt.

Nimommyof2

I did say very strongly that lap belts were one of the most dangerous belt situations for child or adult. I also said if they chose to go that route absolutely don't use the booster seat. It just really got me thinking of which would be safer since I know in the US they don't tether. Thanks nothing I can really do about it but info passed on.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The head excursion would still be greater with a lapbelt as compared to an untethered harnessed seat, correct?

Ultimately it's always the parents' decision, but my mantra is this:

SafER not safEST.

You'll never see safest, short of a technician's car. And, yes, safety trumps legality, but you can never advise a parent to do something illegal over something legal. If you educate, they will hopefully come to their own conclusion based on what they are comfortable with.

-N.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
QuassEE said:
The head excursion would still be greater with a lapbelt as compared to an untethered harnessed seat, correct?

Ultimately it's always the parents' decision, but my mantra is this:

SafER not safEST.

You'll never see safest, short of a technician's car. And, yes, safety trumps legality, but you can never advise a parent to do something illegal over something legal. If you educate, they will hopefully come to their own conclusion based on what they are comfortable with.

-N.

Not necessarily. Depending on the child's height the head excursion may be less with a lap belt, but head excursion isn't the only factor. A noose would get excellent head excursion, but would still be deadly. A harness seat will better distribute force, and increase ride down more than a lap belt and give the child a better chance in a crash.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
But we're not talking about a noose. Yes, there are other variables--but likely ones that would be to the detriment of the lapbelt occupant.

-N.

tam_shops

sorry I am confused by your five year old illegal part Tam?? Is it illegal in alberta for a 5yr old to be without a booster? I thought it was 40lbs or 6yrs old whichever comes first.

Well I know what we would all do but thats not what I am asking

Sorry, you are right and I am wrong! Alberta is 40# OR 6yo. I thought it was 40# AND 6yo, which was bad enough! I'm sure you'd do the same, just always make sure to give *all* the options, especially the legal and safe one, so if the reader opts to take one of the illegal (but safER) ones, that'd be a personal choice I have no control over!

tam

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC