Reassure me that 3rd row is safe in no back booster

mlohry

So middle DS is almost 8 and is just about outgrowing the HB TB. He was riding with a friend the other day and I didn't want to mess with the HB so I took it off and he's been using the TB without it. Problem is I don't like it. He sits 3rd row in our Ody and those Ody seats head rests are skimpy back there. Oldest DS has sat 2nd row in an Amp for quite sometime, but those head rests support and cradle the head better. It never bothered me in the 2nd row. I can't switch middle DS to 2nd row as he drives his sister nuts and older one actually helps her. I've tried other boosters in that 3rd row, but just don't like them, except for the FR 85 in booster mode, but not sure I can justify that seat back there...what to do, what to do. I need reassurance that he's safe. I worry about his head in a rear end crash, he just doesn't seem as protected back there.

ADS

bnsnyde

I was going to suggest the Frontier85 in booster mode...but I see you considered that. :) If you wanted to keep a highback that would be an option. Might give you peace of mind that you seem to be seeking and very good head protection, from what I can tell about the seat. And if you do all you possibly can, well, you can't do any better than that.

Our Odyssey has massive headrests (so they seem) back there but maybe a different model year.

mlohry

bnsnyde said:
I was going to suggest the Frontier85 in booster mode...but I see you considered that. :) If you wanted to keep a highback that would be an option. Might give you peace of mind that you seem to be seeking and very good head protection, from what I can tell about the seat. And if you do all you possibly can, well, you can't do any better than that.

Our Odyssey has massive headrests (so they seem) back there but maybe a different model year.

It's an 05, what's yours? Maybe we need to upgrade :) that will go over well, ha!

bnsnyde

2011. We took most of our headrests out and never use the others due to carseats, etc. But in my opinion they are all huge things that block my vision, lol. (maybe the 3rd row middle isn't such a big one...not remembering.)

I won't look forward to the day we use them and they are all up! My kids are going to be tall. Dad is 6'4"! Uh oh!

mlohry

bnsnyde said:
2011. We took most of our headrests out and never use the others due to carseats, etc. But in my opinion they are all huge things that block my vision, lol. (maybe the 3rd row middle isn't such a big one...not remembering.)

I won't look forward to the day we use them and they are all up! My kids are going to be tall. Dad is 6'4"! Uh oh!

Well that's good to know they made them a little beefier :) I know the newer vans get a good rating for head protection in those rows, and ours just gets acceptable, probably part of my concern.

Pixels

mlohry said:
Well that's good to know they made them a little beefier :) I know the newer vans get a good rating for head protection in those rows, and ours just gets acceptable, probably part of my concern.

Who rates back seat head protection?

Kat_Momof3

well, the important thing is that it's tall enough to offer proper crash protection. as long as the tops of his ears aren't over the top of the headrest, he's fine.

Is it always ideal as newer cars constantly are improving headrests? no, but it's safe.

MommyShannon

Eek, I didn't know our '06 had those ratings for this. I wonder if they just don't all go high enough to do well for the height they are testing. I know the back ones go high enough for me but I'm short.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Eek, I didn't know our '06 had those ratings for this. I wonder if they just don't all go high enough to do well for the height they are testing. I know the back ones go high enough for me but I'm short.

That's kind of how I have to think about it for my own sanity, that they just aren't high enough for tall guys, and my kids are 'fine' back there :eek: (Too bad there's probably no profit in them inventing new ones to retrofit in old cars, I'd spend a fortune on them in a heartbeat...)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC