Question quick- which is better?

ginny4

DD is going in my friends car for a girl scout event. She has a small sedan. Not sure what kind. The seatback is lowish. I don't think if she used a backless that she have head protection. The Monterey would have to be adjusted all the way up to fit & it may jot allow for that adjustment in her car. I have no idea if she'll 5 step but will check in the morning. DD Is newly 8, 78lbs, 54"
So my question is...
If the Monterey doesn't fit & doesn't 5 step
1) use a backless without head support OR
2) use just the seatbelt with a poor fit?

ADS

amelia222

The Monterey needs headrest support behind it. I'd try her in just the seatbelt first (if your local laws allow her to be out of a booster) and go from there.

Do you think she'll be ok sleeping and staying in position without the highback?

ginny4

She fits the law here.
I just saw another post about Monterey needing headrest. Where did that come from. I have an original one & I read that manual a billion times. No headrest issue.
Shes somewhat OK without highback for sleeping. Not perfect. Just concerned that she'll be so tired. Kwim?
They are gonna think I'm nuts checking this all out. I just want to do the best i can in the situation.

amelia222

In the warning section is says "Child is too tall if the tops of the ears are above either the top of the booster headrest or raised vehicle seat headrest" so it's almost hidden but its there.

If you are left with a choice of option 1 or 2 I would see how she fits in with the seatbelt only vs backless booster and have to make a parental decision. Is getting a lower backless booster like a harmony an option? That might be a good compromise. How close is she to 5-stepping is your vehicle?

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
If you search for "Monterey issue" you should find the huge thread on it.

Unless she fits the seatbelt well, I would use the hbb if it fits, realizing that it would be parental decision. My reasoning is that she has to impact the seatbelt before she'd need head protection on rebound. Then, even if the Monterey were to provide inadaquete head protection, it would be better than NO head protection.

If the HBB doesn't fit, and she doesn't fit the seatbelt well, I'd go backless unless it raised her head way, way above the seatback. If it did, I probably wouldn't let her go (unless a thinner booster with less lift was an option.) But I'm mean like that.

ginny4

Oh yeah we do have the harmony one though not her favorite. We'll see soon enough what ends up working.

ginny4

Lucked out. She just barely fit with her backless. The one she wanted. Thank goodness.

I did check her fit in our van. She just 5 stepped in Capt chair. I'm keeping her boostered anyway though.

Kat_Momof3

I would, too... "just" five stepped is different from a definite 5-step :) and at her age, she's safer with the booster supporting her hips and such until she hits puberty, unless she outgrows it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC