Headrest support for booster

tl01

I remember a recent discussion about headrest support for some boosters that we hadn't previously thought needed support. Besides Dorel, which others need support? I don't recall reading about a change for the parkway sg... Bur I want to confirm that it is true that it does not need support.

ADS

Brianna

The Monterey does. No head support required for the Parkway.

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

bnsnyde

Vivo does? :(
Then it wouldn't be an option for a big van with no headrests.
Ahhhhhhhh!

What about Cybex? That's our other booster.
Have to have something on hand for a camp trip...if this works out.

Never used either yet. Oh, and we have the Britax SGL at a relative's house!

Kat_Momof3

parkway, oobr, graco boosters, and evenflo boosters don't need support (I don't think the tomy/firstyears/compass ones do, either, but not 100% sure)

I don't really understand why the monterey & recaro ones don't allow them used without headrest support as they have metal reinforcements, but there we are.

hboo22

We have a Vivo (07) and the manual doesn't say a thing about it needing a headrest behind it. Wth??

Baylor

I emailed them and asked about the Probooster. I received an email saying both the vivid and pb needed head support.

auto correct hates me

VoodooChile

We have an Oobr and a Turbo with SS. Neither require head support, but we have headrests that don't interfere with the boosters so I raise them up. Figure it can't hurt.

christineka

We have a Vivo (07) and the manual doesn't say a thing about it needing a headrest behind it. Wth??

Yes, it says nothing, which recaro pointed out to me in their email. They never said you could remove the headrest in the vivo manual. I think they did in the prosport manual. A number of us contacted the other booster manufacturers after the diono fiasco.

tl01

Thanks all for the info. I had a feeling there were a few is them but didn't remember which ones specifically. I'll keep the list handy for future reference when helping other and when making purchases.

tl01

Yes, it says nothing, which recaro pointed out to me in their email. They never said you could remove the headrest in the vivo manual. I think they did in the prosport manual. A number of us contacted the other booster manufacturers after the diono fiasco.

This seems ridiculous to me. Manufacturers need to be crystal clear about installation instructions and should never leave a parent to make such inferences.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member

Yeah, it doesn't say you can remove it, but it also doesn't say NOT to use in a position without head support. Are they aware how many seating positions are out there with no headrests in the back seat?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Originally the whole point of high-back boosters was to provide head support for children in seating positions where there wasn't any. It's ludicrous for a company to require support without putting it in the manual. (Actually, it's ludicrous to require it at all, but that's a different rant.)

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
I can't speak for Recaro or Diono but I do know that in Dorel's case it's because they do rear-impact testing and we can all imagine what that must look like when there is only a piece of plastic supporting the head and neck. Since rear-impact testing isn't required, I think some other manufacturers just chose to look the other way and ignore the issue rather than limit their market by requiring head support from the vehicle.

Unfortunately, the flip side is that we have more and more rear head restraint designs that angle forward and really need to be removed in order for the booster to fit properly in the seating position. In those cases I feel like it's a lose-lose scenario.

FYI - You can add the Chicco Strada to the list of HBB that do NOT require head support from the vehicle. The Strada manual specifically tells you to remove the headrest if it interferes with the fit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC