Outgrown the Frontier before five years???

julia94115

OMG! I just happened to look at my daughter (4yrs 9 mos) in the Frontier 80 today and realized, "Oh, I guess I need to move the straps up" as she is close to even with the current slots. I struggled with moving the headrest up and couldn't do it at the time. I decided to wait until we got home and I had more time.
So, I just got back in from attempting to raise the headrest and she is AT THE TOP CLICK!!! Has anyone else's child outgrown the Frontier harness close to (not even) five years old???? :eek:
Now what do I do? She's very good in the few times I've had her in a booster but I need to do three across and a booster is a huge pain.

I took photos and will attempt to post them.

ADS

julia94115

She is about, less than 1/2" to even with the slots. Maybe she'll make it to five? (in 3 mos)
Gee whiz!!!

Aurezalia

Frontier 80, not 85, right? Yeah, the harness isn't quite as high - about the same as the Nautilus, I think. 18" or so. The Frontier 85 would give you 2 more inches.

Kegracin

The FR85 has taller harness heights if you had another child to pass the seat down to it might not be a bad option for you. Darren's review has the 80 at 18.25 and the 85 at 20 for the top height of the harness. I know right around K/1st grade my son with a huge torso started growing legs....if that's any help to you.

julia94115

Yep, it's the 80....
2 inches more in the 85?
Hmmm, well that should give her another 5 months (just kidding- hopefully more!)

Wow- guess I'll spring for an 85..... *sigh*....... :(

Any deals anywhere? Anyone?

julia94115

The FR85 has taller harness heights if you had another child to pass the seat down to it might not be a bad option for you. Darren's review has the 80 at 18.25 and the 85 at 20 for the top height of the harness. I know right around K/1st grade my son with a huge torso started growing legs....if that's any help to you.

No one to pass it down to but I don't mind. I wonder how long 1.75" would give me....

Kat_Momof3

she's sooo close to being 5... I might wait and see if it will last her till then and transition it to a booster at that time. Not ideal, but sometimes has to be done.

However, if you can afford to get the 85 with no budget issues, then I would.

essnce629

I sold my FR80 on Craigslist to fund my FR85. DS1 was 6 though when he was close to outgrowing it and I knew that DS2 was going to be taller so I wanted the extra height of the FR85. DS1 will be 9 in August and still fits in the FR85 in harness mode (although we switched it to booster mode a few months ago).

mommyfrog

Also, the actual harness slot in the plastic might be a little higher than the slot in the fabric. Yesterday I stuck my ds in his Frontier 80 and thought I had to move the harness up again. I stuck my finger through the fabric and it turned out I didn't need to yet. The cover has just slid down a little and the two holes aren't aligned. But, wow!! My ds is not much younger than your dd and still has two more clicks to go, although he is close to needing it moved up.

julia94115

Also, the actual harness slot in the plastic might be a little higher than the slot in the fabric.

Yeah- I did check that. There was a teensy bit of height in the fabric but not much. I just keep looking at her every day in that seat and really can't believe it. I keep checking everything possible that I may have missed fit-wise. I need to get to a store to see if a Frontier 85 will fit there in my three across....:(
Just when I had everything fitting so well. I thought I was set for a while. (And since, the baby on the other side of the Radian (FF in center) has outgrown his Cocorro so I am waiting for our new Roundabout 55 to arrive and see how THAT fits!

Geez, I really just need a mini van.....

ed_tricia

The cheapest I saw (just a quick check, so someone might know of something better) is $212.49 on Amazon with free shipping and no tax, in Rushmore.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I've been having the same worry about my 6 year old outgrowing our old FR 80, she just seems too small to be out of it :eek:
I wouldn't really bother keeping the original for booster use, it's crazy super insane tall, like my 5 foot tall almost 12 year old was nowhere near being too tall for it in booster mode, he'd still have fit in the FR85 which is only a tad shorter (well, maybe if you have a car with low bench seats and need head support and will still be driving it in 5 years, the FR80 would be good to keep, that extra smidge of room might make some difference, but for general highback purposes, the 85 is beyond adequate in most cars, even for tall kids).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC