Crotch strap irritating for older boys?

bnsnyde

Just wondering if anyone ever noticed a crotch strap being irritating for a boy? We have the Radian XTSL and it's FF. He's almost 6, 47.5 inches and 53 lbs.

He went to the Dr. today with what I thought might be in infection, um, down there. But it's just irritation. He's only been doing biking, swimming and sports everyday since it's summer now, lol. So maybe that's it.

But...he mentioned it hurt while he was in the carseat.
Wonder if the Frontier would give much more depth with the crotch strap as he's not booster ready. He's actually a wiggle worm now that he's next to his sister!

Or maybe the seat doesn't really add to his discomfort. Just kind of thinking through options... He'd never complained before about the strap on that seat.

ADS

christineka

You can get a longer crotch strap. I automatically got one when I bought a radian for my then 6 yo son. The frontier gives much more room and has an even longer strap, though.

mama23boyz

No experience w/radians, but my ods started complaining of crotch strap irritation at about 3 1/2-4yrs in his nautilus...got a fr85 & haven't heard a peep since! And he's now (newly) 6, 47.5in, 52lbs. He's on the furthest crotch strap and is very comfy in his fr85! HTH :)

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
He's almost 6, 47.5 inches and 53 lbs.

He must be all legs. DS2 is just 5 and 42" and roughly 40lbs and he's pretty much outgrown the Radian. Just depends on the vehicle, as I'm not comfortable using it over the top slots. I can't imagine a kid that much taller and heavier then Patrick fitting in it, though I know his older sibling fit at 7yrs.

mama23boyz

He's on the 2nd to last slot/position...I've just been told by someone here that it will probably last him another year or two...:)

bnsnyde

He still fits. :) Not even with the top slot yet. I too prefer to use it just until that point.

On the other hand, the headrest slips down so sometimes I look back and I think Oh, he's outgrown it! But no.
I am annoyed enough at the headrest slippage to be ready for a new seat soon. I push it up each ride, just about.

CuddlyMonsters

My son who is 3 year old complained about the crotch strap on the Radian XTSL, we now have him in a Frontier85 and he has not complained once. He was getting rashes down there before, but has not gotten any recently. He also likes it more as it is more like a big goy seat to him but yet he is still 5 point harnessed.

christineka

My son outgrew the radian about 6 months ago. (Coincided with switching to the frontier) He was 9, 58 pounds, 18.5 inch torso. He's now in the frontier on the top harness position. He likes it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC