What seat would YOU get in this situation?

K's Mama

DD is 6 1/2 and weighs 39lbs fully clothed. She sits really well in her seat and rarely falls asleep. She is currently riding in our truck in a July 2006 Marathon - so it is expiring right away (not sure if that is end of July or beginning of July though?). We are going camping next week and will be taking the truck so she needs something new ASAP. What would you buy???

DH thinks that either the Marathon is safe enough to use through August or she can go into a booster - I don't agree with him but need an inexpensive option that will work for now. Oh - and something that will fit forward facing in a Dodge Dakota. Tether strap needs to have a small enough adjuster/buckle that it fits through a teeny tiny webbing stap.

Life would be so much easier if she would just gain a couple of pounds in the next week :rolleyes: and we could put her in a booster.

ADS

amyd

Britax is 6 years to DOM so it's good until the exact day it was made. I'm assuming she's fairly short (or at least has a short torso) if she's still in a Matathon, so I'd probably get a Graco Nautilus. She should have lots of time left in it, both harnessed of you or she prefers and as a booster.

Nimommyof2

Honestly I'd be fine with a Parkway/Graco Turbo booster. Maybe your scales wrong and she weighs 41lbs? Those are the only two boosters I really know anything about so maybe someone else has some different recomendations

bubbaray

I would weigh her in winter clothes/boots and I'd bet she's over 40lbs. I would be very comfortable either using the MA (assuming it still fits her) OR buying a booster. If she has a short torso, I'd recommend the HBTB. The PW is also nice and will last her longer but the HBTB fits smaller kids better.

K's Mama

Ugh - just checked the seat and it actually expired June 8 (she hasn't used it in a couple of months)... So not really an option for this trip. I'm inclined to just get a booster but not 100% comfortable with that.

tiggercat

If you weigh her over the course of a few days, what would the average be?
I would not be comfortable moving to a booster under 40lbs, we have the lower limit for a reason and 39lbs isn't "close enough".
I would get her a Graco nautilus or a Britax frontier.
Edit: could you just move the frontier over from the other vehicle? FTR, if your frontier is Canadian, it is a FRXT not FR85 ;)

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

K's Mama

She's pretty solidly a 39 lbs (and has been for a few months) - weight was taken at the Dr's office on Tuesday using a weighted scale.

The Frontier is just a real PITA to install in the truck b/c of the V shaped top tether - it takes forever to get it in because you aren't doing a straight back tethering - you are tethering at a 90 degree angle - switching it back and forth just isn't going to happen. That being said we'll probably just move it to the truck and make that our primary vehicle for the summer. I hate driving the truck around the city but I just can't justify spending a lot of $$ on a new seat for her that we really only need for July and August.

Nimommyof2

Well if she's short enough to fit in the marathon what about the generations? Or what about the new Harmony V7 since you could install it with the latch and I think that way is supposed to be good if you have to install it with the seatbelt it might not work.

tiggercat

Nimommyof2 said:
Well if she's short enough to fit in the marathon what about the generations? Or what about the new Harmony V7 since you could install it with the latch and I think that way is supposed to be good if you have to install it with the seatbelt it might not work.

Good ideas, just make sure the OP keeps in mind the latch limit of her vehicle and seats in question. And the Maestro only harnesses to 47lb and doesn't last long as a booster, so it doesn't seem worth it.

tiggercat

K's Mama said:
She's pretty solidly a 39 lbs (and has been for a few months) - weight was taken at the Dr's office on Tuesday using a weighted scale.

The Frontier is just a real PITA to install in the truck b/c of the V shaped top tether - it takes forever to get it in because you aren't doing a straight back tethering - you are tethering at a 90 degree angle - switching it back and forth just isn't going to happen. That being said we'll probably just move it to the truck and make that our primary vehicle for the summer. I hate driving the truck around the city but I just can't justify spending a lot of $$ on a new seat for her that we really only need for July and August.

Something like the Nautilus would work both now and in booster mode, though, and it isn't that much more expensive than a "good" booster. Remember, you did ask what I would do :p
Ok, does she for FF in your true fit and do you have a spare for your little one? Could you swap that one around more easily?

K's Mama

We did buy a Maestro at one point and there was no way that we could get the top tether to work - the adjuster mechanism was huge and wouldn't fit through the webbing loop that the tether is routed through.

Something like the Nautilus would work both now and in booster mode, though, and it isn't that much more expensive than a "good" booster. Remember, you did ask what I would do :p
Ok, does she for FF in your true fit and do you have a spare for your little one? Could you swap that one around more easily?

What's classified as a "good" booster then? A Nautilus is $200+ and a Turbo Booster is only around $60 - huge price difference for a sometimes seat. Since she has the Frontier as her main seat I thought a TB would be a good seat - maybe not?

No spare seats. Just the Frontier and TF now that the Marathon is expired. DS is still RF'ing so it is an easy switch to move his seat back and forth.

Just finished talking to DH and he absolutely refuses to buy her another car seat. He'll only agree to a booster so I guess we'll just move her Frontier for the summer and I'll have to drive the truck - seems to be the only safe compromise. Thanks for the ideas though!

K's Mama

So get her a booster. Either a HBTB or PW

We're going to go ahead and buy a booster and hopefully by August she will be 40+lbs. I'm just too nervous to put her in it before hand - especially on the highway. We may start with a few city drives before hand. She's not a big kid so we;ll probably just go with a TB.

By the way - where did you find a purple with pink hearts HBTB? DD has always had gender neutral seats, but she will not be outgrowing her booster before her brother needs one so I want to go girly and she LOVES purple!

canadiangie

Walmart has pink/purple hearts.

We're going to go ahead and buy a booster and hopefully by August she will be 40+lbs. I'm just too nervous to put her in it before hand - especially on the highway. We may start with a few city drives before hand. She's not a big kid so we;ll probably just go with a TB.

By the way - where did you find a purple with pink hearts HBTB? DD has always had gender neutral seats, but she will not be outgrowing her booster before her brother needs one so I want to go girly and she LOVES purple!

bubbaray

I got out HBTB at Walmart Canada. Not sure if they have it in the USA

[ame="http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00846FG60"]Graco TurboBooster Booster Car Seat in Wild Hearts:Amazon:Baby[/ame]

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC