SK Radian labels falling off, need some help

Janaya

So I've read a little on here in the past few months after realizing how bad the issue was with DD's Radian.
The seat is in my ex's vehicle so I have rarely seen it in the past year. We bought the seat Jan 2009, installed late March 2009 and

April 2nd I called Diono, explained the problem, provided the model #, DOM, my name, phone number (possibly gave serial # cant remember now). I was told I would get a call back.

April 19th No call back yet so I emailed this:
My daughter has a Sunshine Kids Radian XT Model # CA19500 Serial # 06090170003419 Date of Manufacture 06/09.

We purchased this seat from TJ's Kids here in Victoria BC January 2010 and installed and began using it late March of 2010. Last spring (March 2011) A small piece of one of the labels was found on the vehicle seat. I saved this in the stroller and recently found it again. This prompted me to check the seat, it is in my ex's vehicle so I have not personally looked at the seat in many months. I discovered that the label on the side of the seat with the weight & height limits has completely fallen off. any pieces of that are missing, most likely vacuumed up in a vehicle cleaning.

I have attached photos showing the labels still on the seat but bubbled, partially off, and completely fallen off (glue visible in photo this is the label with all the RF/FF weight & height limits).

Monday April 2nd I called Diono regarding this problem and am still awaiting that promised call back. This is NOT acceptable customer service.

As we purchased the seat with the intent that our daughter would use it until she had outgrown it this is not acceptable to labels to have come off as they had at the one year of use mark. Some searching on the internet has indicated that this was a well known problem in 2009 & 2010.

I expect this to be dealt with in a timely manner with either replacement stickers OR a seat that meets standards since a seat without these stickers in non compliant.

I then got the automated "we've received your email"

April 27th got an email that they where working on getting the correct stickers for my seat.

May 18th I replied to the email as a follow up as it had been 3 weeks of no contact and nothing in the mail. I immediately got a phone call and was informed that they needed to know the weight limits for my seat. Apparently they could not tell that from the DOM, model number and serial #. I told her that I would need to get the manual from my ex's vehicle and could send a photo of the relevant pages.

May 22nd after the long weekend I emailed the photo.

late May an envelope arrived in the mail. Once I thought I'd have a chance to get the car seat out, put them all on and reinstalled I opened it up. The Limits on the labels where WRONG. They showed a 30lb RF limit and 45lb FF. My seat is 35lb RF & 65lb FF. Needless to say I was beyond frustrated at this point.... I emailed back to Diono June 6th and attached a photo of the stickers sent.

June 15th After no contact back from Diono I called the defect # at Transport Canada. I was passed onto someone who quite honestly seemed to know very little about car seats. He didn't know that Sunshine Kids is now Diono... He told me it didn't matter that the stickers where off and that there was really nothing TC could do about it... He did take my name and number, I thne offered to email him the info as well with the photos. I sent that and now a week later surprise no contact back.

I'm sick and tired of the time I've wasted so far. I feel like no one gives a damn whatsoever. From things I've read here the labels/stickers are supposed to be permanetly attached? I'm not 100% clear on what the laws/regulations & responsibilities are for myself as the consumer, Diono as the manufacturer (under SK) or TC as the regulating body.

What do I do now?

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Hi Janaya,

I have 2 suggestions. The first is to go to the TC website and file a defect complaint on there. That will at least get it sent to somebody in the defect division rather than somebody answering the phone who doesn't have any training in child restraints.

It IS a compliance issue as labels are required to be permanently affixed to the child restraint by CMVSS standards. There have been recalls in the past for missing stickers, and recalls due to incorrect stickers. So this is definitely a compliance issue.

I'm going to email somebody at Diono and have them look at this thread. I imagine you will get some quick follow-up once the appropriate person becomes aware of your complaint. It's possible that you've somehow slipped through the cracks and just haven't been passed to the right person. If you're comfortable emailing me through the forum, then I will provide the Diono person with your specific information. (Email is preferable to PM because I can reply to email easier on my phone.)

eta: I have already sent the email in case your file can be found based on the information you already provided.

tam_shops

I've been meaning to call Diono about my stickers falling off after YDS through up in the seat for weeks.

And, the fact that my boot is cracked/coming apart.

And, my spare cover which I've now used twice falling apart at the crotch strap.

AND, now my Angle Adjuster lost it's ability to hold YDS's seat up and that it's now touching my Toyota seat, which isn't aloud!

Good to know that I'll have to phone multiple times, so I can put it off a couple more weeks into the summer when I'll be around a little more to deal with it...Sigh!

tam

dragonfly8

I have to comment, that Diono customer service is less than helpful. I've given up on them, after numerous emails and phone calls over the winter, my concerns were completely ignored.

I wish you all luck, maybe you'll have more than I did.

It's really changed my thoughts on the Sunshine Kids turned Diono reputation:thumbsdown:

catzwoman28

I noticed last week that my boot was cracked for my radian , took a picture and emailed them , got an answer requesting the picture ( coultn't send it from their website ) within 2 hours, 1 hour after sedning the picture they promised me a new boot which arrived on Wednesday. I am very impressed with their custmer service at this time.
Sorry you are having troubles Janaya .

Janaya

Thanks Trudy!
I'll try to do the online thing with TC later today. Being a single parent and working 50+ hrs a week (in the middle of 13 days straight now) my time is VERY limited and I just simply can not get to everything that needs my attention every day.
I really thought that calling TC when I had quiet time in the house would be better because I could actually talk to someone. Obviously that was also a complete waste of my time.
I really am just beyond frustrated at the way this has gone.

emailing you now:)

Hi Janaya,

I have 2 suggestions. The first is to go to the TC website and file a defect complaint on there. That will at least get it sent to somebody in the defect division rather than somebody answering the phone who doesn't have any training in child restraints.

It IS a compliance issue as labels are required to be permanently affixed to the child restraint by CMVSS standards. There have been recalls in the past for missing stickers, and recalls due to incorrect stickers. So this is definitely a compliance issue.

I'm going to email somebody at Diono and have them look at this thread. I imagine you will get some quick follow-up once the appropriate person becomes aware of your complaint. It's possible that you've somehow slipped through the cracks and just haven't been passed to the right person. If you're comfortable emailing me through the forum, then I will provide the Diono person with your specific information. (Email is preferable to PM because I can reply to email easier on my phone.)

eta: I have already sent the email in case your file can be found based on the information you already provided.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC