grandma and a carseat

Shancouchon

We have a high back booster for my 8 year old that we leave in grandmas car for those days that grandma likes to take her out. Normally if she takes my 3 year old I install a car seat (they do not have a clue how to put one in). The other day they were over and wanted to take my 3 year old for ice cream. I wasnt home. My husband asked if they had a car seat in the car, to which they said yes (they dont know a difference between a booster and a harness just think its a carseat). So since they do know how to operate the booster (head adjustment, belt through holder etc) they took her for ice cream in that. She is 3 years 10 months and 33lbs.

How bad is it? Again I wasnt home which is a very rare thing for this to occur

ADS

Brianna

I would never booster a child before age 4, and only very few 4 year olds are mature enough to be boostered as far as staying in position. Until you have her booster trained in a few months or a few years I would keep her harnessed. Maybe next time if you're not there to install a seat, could they take DH's vehicle?

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

jacqui276

For her age and weight I would not be comfortable having her drive in a booster.

Does DH know how to install the car seat if it were to come up again when you are not home?

CMeMeC

I would just tell them not to put her in it again. They didn't know better and I'm sure they meant no harm, so I wouldn't be too harsh. Maybe explain she still needs a harness so they know the difference. If they take her often, maybe you could give them a seat for her and they could just leave it installed and you could check it regularly to make sure it hasn't loosened and she fits properly. I wouldn't put a kid that young in a booster, even occasionally.

Kat_Momof3

they didn't know... the good is that she was over the minimum requirements according to the seat (not according to all of us safety-geeks... lol), they adjusted it properly, and I'm assuming she sat properly.

the bad is that she would be safer in a properly installed and used harnessed seat that fits her. I would just let them know that she isn't big enough/old enough to use that seat and that they need to have XYZ seat for her when they take her.

G

guest1

I would just tell them not to put her in it again. They didn't know better and I'm sure they meant no harm, so I wouldn't be too harsh. Maybe explain she still needs a harness so they know the difference. If they take her often, maybe you could give them a seat for her and they could just leave it installed and you could check it regularly to make sure it hasn't loosened and she fits properly. I wouldn't put a kid that young in a booster, even occasionally.

This. I wouldn't be too harsh since I'm sure they wouldn't do it if they knew better, but I'd make it very clear that it's not to happen again too.

Shancouchon

Thanks ladies! It definitely will not be happening again anytime soon. It was such a freak thing that it even did. My poor DH he doesnt really ever have to handle any of these things since I usually handle making sure seats are right (he doesnt attempt to ever override what I say since he knows I do my due diligence in researching why I want what I want for seats)....for whoever has the kids. He was happy with himself that he asked if they had HER seat. And just figured they were all set. I am happy that she was technically ok per manufacturers instructions to use the seat. They do know how to adjust the head rest, and make sure how the belt is suppose to go across lap. I am lucky I gave them a full test run with the older one and a booster. Sadly I would rather trust them with a booster than with a harness seat they try to install themselves. But regardless - a freak incident and shouldnt happen anytime soon again. Phew

G

guest1

Thanks ladies! It definitely will not be happening again anytime soon. It was such a freak thing that it even did. My poor DH he doesnt really ever have to handle any of these things since I usually handle making sure seats are right (he doesnt attempt to ever override what I say since he knows I do my due diligence in researching why I want what I want for seats)....for whoever has the kids. He was happy with himself that he asked if they had HER seat. And just figured they were all set. I am happy that she was technically ok per manufacturers instructions to use the seat. They do know how to adjust the head rest, and make sure how the belt is suppose to go across lap. I am lucky I gave them a full test run with the older one and a booster. Sadly I would rather trust them with a booster than with a harness seat they try to install themselves. But regardless - a freak incident and shouldnt happen anytime soon again. Phew

That sounds EXACTLY like my hubby. If his parents ask him regarding car seats, his response is always "I have no idea, ask Ashley." Even if he knows, he knows that I'm the one who really puts a lot of time into trying to learn everything that I possibly can about car seats. He also wants no say in choosing the seats that we buy for the same reason.

Kat_Momof3

see, that's exactly why I wouldn't make a HUGE deal out of it... I'd mention... "oops, dh told me you took her in the booster seat. I told him in the future to make sure he installs her seat for you since she's not really ready to use that."

Heck, I might not even say anything... they know how to use a booster, so she was properly restrained as she could be... and they knew she needed a seat... that's more than so many do. They weren't being lazy about it and turning down a harnessed seat, either.

Now that your DH knows, as long as he knows one of the two of you would need to install it for them, you'll be good for any other surprise occurance.

in another year, she'll be 4.5, not 3.5, and fine for that rare run or for booster training for grandma's car (since you aren't crazy about them possibly needing to install)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC