12 year old on school bus Help!

mcurry24

We have a 11.5 year old, 97 lbs who has CP and weak neck/head control and varying torso control. To give you an idea of height. He has just recently outgrown his Brtiax Frontier(not the 85) with an almost 21 inch torso and has one more slot in the Roosevelt to go although his head is even with the top of the seat. The School district is being cooperative but lacks knowledge as to what to transport him in. They want to use a harness and while he doesn't need true neck and head supports he does need the support that the headwings and sides of a booster/carseat provide. I am at a loss as to what seats to direct them towards. I am not willing to transport him in a wheelchair as I have seen how they transport others and while good intentioned they tend to make sure the chair is secured while not so much understanding that the child needs to be secured as well and I will not be able to be present every day to make sure he is secured correctly. Any suggestions.. We have discussed having a shoulder belt mounted and using a Booster Seat with a Harness 86Y type or a vest... not sure that this would work... need answers ASAP before they purchase something that will not be suitable. All suggestions are appreciated thanks.

Also for personal use what is the tallest Booster Seat with Deepest Headwings and preferable ability to latch seat in so it doesn't move around.

Thanks

Last edited:
ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
An 86-Y doesn't need a shoulder belt. In fact, if there is one, it has to be taken out of the equation with a locking clip. You would need a tether anchor though. However, Ez-on also makes specific bus harnesses which don't even need that. A booster is usually not needed with a child his size in a harness/lap belt on a bus, and may not be a good idea for safety (may increase head excursion in a tight space...) I'd contact Ez-on regarding vests for the bus.

For personal use, the tallest booster with LATCH I'm aware of you actually already own-the Frontier, in booster mode. :)

AustinMusic

As he weighs under the 105lbs one option might be the Safeguard STAR Special Needs. Safeguard specify a maximum torso height of 20 inches for the STAR Special Needs so clearly he is borderline with a torso of “almost 21” inches. Even if he fits however, he may outgrow the seat fairly quickly. The other possible option is to install the Roosevelt in the bus although that may not be practical if constant removal and re-installation is required.

Although neither of the above may last that long as a solution, they might buy you enough time to research better, more permanent options.

One might be the Merritt Manufacturing Churchill Booster. Although technically a backless booster, the range of support accessories can provide plenty of options with regard to support and positioning. The seat is approved for occupants weighing up to 175lbs.

Besides the Churchill other options available are the Columbia Medical 2500 Therapedic™ IPS Car Seat and 2400 ‘Spirit’ APS Car Seat. These are both forward facing harnessed seats with various support positioning accessories available. The seats can be used up to 130lbs.

As Ketchupqueen recommended I would also contact E-Z-On Products as they can make custom vests (I have no idea on ordering or cost howver). With correct fitting a vest can provide excellent support. We use the 102 Model Vest in the rear seat of our family car and are very happy with the amount of support it provides (we use it with the Floor Mount rather than the vehicle seatbelt). The only problem with using a vest is that head support maybe lacking.

I hope this helps provide some options.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC