Question Driving kids who have been out of boosters for years.

agave

Next month, I'm staying with my parents while the kids go to swim lessons. A friend and her 2 kids 8, she will be 9 some time in July and 10 1/2 are staying with my parents. I may be taking them too the pool when my kids are at swim lessons. I know as of 2 years ago neither was in a booster. The 10 yr old I'm pretty sure is over 4' 9" I think the 8 yr old is very close. They did NOT get their height from their mom.

I drive a '06 Sedona, from the search I did it looks like a lot of kids 5 step early in the 3rd row. I'm pretty sure if I bring up boosters I'll get very odd looks. The only seatless kid I've ever had back there was 10 and was an unplanned ride in a park with little traffic and a 5 mph limit. I didn't get a good look at the belt fit but her legs where definitely long enough. If they need boosters, I can't ask the mom to pay for it, she's super broke, just graduated and looking for a job/place to live.

So I would have to spring for the $13 walmart seat if I decided to pick the fight. I have no use for the booster and would if I where to buy it I'd let her keep but they are also missing a head rest in the car so that might cause new problems.

What would you do?

ADS

Joyofbirth

Can you afford the boosters? If so, I'd buy them.
I wouldn't transport kids without a booster who need one. I made my very petite niece who lives out of town ride in a booster in my car. She's been out of one for a while. If I get questioned or weird looks, I just I'm much more comfortable this way. I also say I have weird seat belts in the back and I barely fit without a booster LOL.
I would ask her if she would use them if you give them to her. If she wouldn't, I would sell them or donate them to a women's shelter or a local family who needs them but can't afford them.

agave

I was thinking of getting 1 $13 backless and sticking it in the seat. My parents have an old Dr scale that measures height I think I'll go measure my kids and see if I can get the rest of the kids in line.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'd pick up a Literider or Amp, maybe even 2. Tuck them in your cargo area and leave them there - for that week and beyond. In the next couple of years your 4yo will be at an age where there will be occasions when having it handy will be helpful... like if you have to do an emergency pickup of a friend from school or whatever.

For that particular scenario, I would throw one back there and expect the 8yo to need one but likely not the 10yo, based on the info in your post.

I always keep a spare backless tucked somewhere, it has come in invaluable. There's also the fact that I know in a pinch I can use it for a preschooler on up - not ideal, but better than nothing in an urgent situation.

Kat_Momof3

see if you can test them in the van before you transport them. Not sure what car she has, but if it's small and older, they may fit there, but not in your car.

Ninetales

Odd looks or not, no one rides in my vehicle if they won't ride safely. I'd just buy a couple of inexpensive NBBs to keep in the van, and when they get in check belt fit. If they 5-step, great! If not, you have the backup boosters.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
agave said:
I was thinking of getting 1 $13 backless and sticking it in the seat. My parents have an old Dr scale that measures height I think I'll go measure my kids and see if I can get the rest of the kids in line.

Their overall height is irrelevant. What matters is how they fit in the seat and how the belt fits. Given that, I agree with this:

Ninetales said:
Odd looks or not, no one rides in my vehicle if they won't ride safely. I'd just buy a couple of inexpensive NBBs to keep in the van, and when they get in check belt fit. If they 5-step, great! If not, you have the backup boosters.

agave

Kat_Momof3 said:
see if you can test them in the van before you transport them. Not sure what car she has, but if it's small and older, they may fit there, but not in your car.

She drives a mid 90's CRV. My 3rd row is not adult sized at all so there is a chance.

I'll pick up a lightrider and talk to their mom before we go anywhere.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
My friends 10 yo easily 5 steps in my 06 sedona, and has for a couple years. My niece at 8.5 also 5 stepped in it.
In general, i'm okay with letting big kids who are not in boosters normally, not be in boosters in my car, as long as they are of legal age. Legal is my minimum, I figure anything beyond that is parental choice.

bnsnyde

My worry is that if something happened and a big kid got internal injuries from the seatbelt...and I knew better.

Of course here (like many places) basically no kids over 7 use a booster, so I feel like I'd refuse to drive anybody who didn't 5-step, though it's never come up yet. Carseats being my thing and all...:) I just would feel hypocritical and wrong for saying Ok, ride along even though you don't really fit the belt 100% correctly.

babyherder

I'd get a cheap backless for the 8 year old. If the 10 year old 5 steps I'd be fine without a booster but otherwise, backless for her too. Just show them how the seatbelt is supposed to fit and explain that until it fits correctly they need to use the booster to help it fit right.

essnce629

I have an extra Literider and an Amp to use in these situations. CA law just changed to 8 years old in a booster, so all of DS1's friends (8 yrs old) have been out of boosters since they were 6. Any kid that goes into my car must sit in a booster. I just tell them the seat belt doesn't fit them properly without a booster and it's not safe so they have to use a booster. I've had no problems. DS has a friend that is already 10, but is the same size of DS and definitely doesn't pass the 5 step test. He always rides in a booster in our car and I showed him how without a booster the seat belt touches his neck and is unsafe. He said that yeah, in his own car he doesn't use a booster and the seat belt crosses his neck. :(

Kat_Momof3

too bad that doesn't have them go ask their parents to give them their booster back :( I'd try to encourage them to do so.

agave

Ok the kids had an unplanned ride with me. I also had 2 extra kids in backless boosters that are used to having the shoulder belts behind them. I got dirty looks for making them use their boosters right but they did well with little protest. Then I got ditched with the 8 and 10 yr old. I knew I was getting the 8 yr old got her buckled in the back center I'd say the belt fit was borderline OK but I'm not an expert. I jumped in the driver's seat and found a 10 yr old sitting in my passenger seat and their parents gone. Her feet where flat on the floor and the lap belt was a little high. I was stuck with them so I drove. The 10 yr old's lap belt actually looked a lot better once she settled into the seat. I had to stop her from turning around and talking to the other kids. We actually had a pretty good conversation about why she should be in the back seat and her sister should probably be in a booster. She said she never expected to be in an accident I told her a few stories about accidents I was in that I could not have predicted or prevented. So 4 kids in my van where not ideally restrained but most likely safer than with their parents and there where several opportunities to make it educational.

Now for the questions. I don't think the literider is going to have enough leg support for the leggy 8 yr old about 65 lbs. If I'm shopping for a backless at Target or Walmart what works best for big kids? How is the turbo? Girly colors are a bonus.

How do you convince a mom that grew up in Africa without seat belts that boosters are necessary?

I also need something that does a good job of describing what a booster does and why the shoulder belt is important. Wit needs to be well written bad spelling and grammar will loose credibility.

Mommy!

Your car/you are driving, hence your rules! I have family members that get upset when I insist their kids are boostered in my car but its my car and I say safety rules.

You are not forcing them to ride in any booster or seat belt; if they/there parents have an issue, the parents can transport them!

Mommy!

:eek:
How do you convince a mom that grew up in Africa without seat belts that boosters are necessary?

That's a tough one; our good friends and neighbours (immigrated from Pakistan 5 yrs ago) used to let the kids ride around unbuckled, including the 2 year old, no seatbelt or anything. After we'd known them for a couple of years they started to improve, put the 3 yr old in a booster, 5, 7, 11 olds in seatbelts, and one day they mentioned to us that back home wearing a belt was dangerous because if you were stopped and hijacked all family members, especially kids, had to be able to get out fast to save themselves! :eek: Or be able to hit the ground if shot at, not be restrained in a seat at window level! :eek: Or a firebomb etc..

It gave me a new insight, I used to wonder what went through their minds, driving around with kids unrestrained. As much as I don't agree with it and am a fanatic about safety myself, I imagine it must be hard for them to change their point of view instantly. As far as how to convince someone, all I can think of is trying to understand the situation they came from, sometime's its not just a matter of they don't use seats and belts back home but a real reason they don't (like my neighbours). Hopefully they will come around and understand the difference in society standards in North America.:)

babyherder

In this country driving is the most dangerous situation we put our children in. In other places that might not be the case. But since it is the most dangerous thing here I properly restrain kids. Maybe in other countries I wouldn't, depending on the situation and other risks.

Mommy!

Don't get me wrong, I always restrain properly. Our 6 year old just moved into a booster recently. I just found it a shock when they told me their perspective.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC