Question Is an unboostered child a projectile?

mlohry

My 9 year olds best buddy that he basically lives with in the Summer is no longer using a booster. His mom's a good friend of mine and she told me no one else his age is still using one, so... I think he lasted this long in 1 because she saw my son in one. My son of course is still in 1 and they ride together frequently. I've told her my son can only rode with them if he has his booster and I also used the excuse to my DS when questioned why the friend no longer uses one that he is taller and his parents are making that choice.

My concern however is that the friend is not tall enough, he's tall but not close to 4'9 and he doesn't fit right in their car, I've looked. Would he be a projectile to my DS if they had an accident. Technically by our law he's old enough, but just want to protect my DS. Of course in our van the friend rides in 1. I had to get an extra :) my excuse for that is that our van is bigger than their CRV so he doesn't fit as well.

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
That's why we use boosters. Seatbelts reduce injuries, but can cause them if not used properly. It's terrifying, really. So many people think that if you're clicked, you're good, no thought that there's a right way and a wrong way to wear the belt.

I "thanked" as a yeah-that, but since I'm replying anyways, I totally agree with Judi. The belt will not provider optimum protection for the friend, but should keep your ds safe from him. Although I would make sure the shoulder belt is on his shoulder, to restrict lateral movement, as well.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
9 year olds are pretty literal and concrete creatures. . .

I'd print the 5 step test for DS's friend. Have him walk through the steps himself. http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.htm

Also, have friend buckle up w/o the booster and give the shoulder belt a quick tug. Repeat while friend is sitting in a booster. Most kids readily see that one hurts much more than the other.

Finally with parent permission/participation, I'd show him some at crash test video AND discuss what "internal injuries" really means.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC