Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member poohbearkrazy's Avatar

Child escape artist

A friend of mine on facebook is having the issue of her 3 1/2 year old escaping his seat. She is getting bad misinformation on facebook. I know there have been threads about this before, but I want to get to her in a hurry and don't have time to search. She say he is pushing the chest clip down... Help!

Thanks in Advance
    Christine:Mommy to: Anthony 10.2, Caleb 8.11, Jacob 5.10, Katelynn our newbie 6/18/13
    and our angel Nevaeh 1/1/07-1/1/07

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member poohbearkrazy's Avatar

Re: Child escape artist

ETA: She's thinking about getting this. Is it safe? I'm not sure it would solve her problem anyway..

http://monkeytyz.com/how-it-works/
    Christine:Mommy to: Anthony 10.2, Caleb 8.11, Jacob 5.10, Katelynn our newbie 6/18/13
    and our angel Nevaeh 1/1/07-1/1/07

I think there was a thread on that a while back. The chest clip is designed to break in an accident. IIRC, it was discussed that the product could prevent that from happening. I would also be afraid that the buckle on the back could cause injury in an accident.

CPS Fanatic

Re: Child escape artist

The almost 3 year old I nanny was undoing/pushing down the chest clip and getting her arms out of the shoulder straps. I found her with her chest clip unbuckled when we got home one time and told her, "No. Not safe." Then I rebuckled her and told her she needed to stay like this while we were driving. She would try to undo the chest clip while I was buckling her to go out. For the next 1-2 weeks, every time she touched the chest clip while I was buckling her I tightened her harness more. It ended up waaaayyy over tightened and she hated it. We worked on her doing the chest clip by herself and not touching it again until I said she could undo it. Then one day I didn't over tighten her harness and she didn't touch the chest clip. Its been a few weeks now and occasionally I remind her "Hands off your buckle." And she stops touching it.