Clek Oobr or other booster....?

tl01

I need a booster for DS1 for DH's car. It isn't a huge car so safety is paramount. His car does have LATCH though. I was thinking about the turbobooster with safety surround but now I'm thinking Oobr. DS1 is 58 lbs and about 49 inches tall. He is pretty proportionate now with regard to legs and torso. He's on the last slot or second to last slot on his frontier 85.

Should I go for an Oobr? I'd get it in drift. I'm wondering if that fabric is cheaper or something bc of the price difference. I'm not interested in any of the Paul Frank stuff. A different booster?

ADS

monstah

My DS is a tad bigger than your DS and is close to outgrowing the TB (it's possibly even outgrown, I put it away last fall). So of those two, I'd go with the Oobr. It's pretty tall and I love how the head rest is pretty much identical to a vehicle headrest, only with side wings.

I have drift or shadow, I can't remember. It's black. :p And is still like new after more than a year. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

tl01

Any idea of how much taller the Oobr is than the TB? Crazy he could almost outgrow a seat before I even graduate him to such a seat type full time;).

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Although the docs seem to indicate only 1", I'm thinking it's more than that-either that or it's one of those seats kids gain height in. Bridget has oodles of time left in the Oobr, but has almost outgrown the TB...

VoodooChile

Drift is the non-Crypton fabric, which is why it's less expensive.
ETA: From the Foonf section of their website: "Drift is the only Foonf edition that is NOT tailored with Crypton® Super Fabrics. Drift is a sporty edition constructed of automotive, anti-bacterial fabric without a moisture barrier."
Dd isn't big for her age (last I measured, about 46" and 46ish lbs) and she has tons of room in her Oobr. I'm sure it'll go to ds LONG before she outgrows it.

monstah

ketchupqueen said:
Although the docs seem to indicate only 1", I'm thinking it's more than that-either that or it's one of those seats kids gain height in. Bridget has oodles of time left in the Oobr, but has almost outgrown the TB...

I think so. DS's shoulders were almost grazing the bottom of the red guides in the TB in my DH's Explorer when I took it out in the fall. The Oobr is in my Freestyle and he has at least a year or two of growing room in my car still. And that's taking into consideration the fact that he started growing like a weed again recently. I never actually compared the two directly though.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'd go out to the garage and do it (we have both sitting there) but, uh, I'm not supposed to go downstairs much less be lugging seats around. :(

tl01

Guess we need a trip to the store to test it;).

I wish the black one was a Crypton super fabric. I want it to wear well but none of the other ones appeal to me.

monstah

Crazy. I just tossed the TB in next to the Oobr 3rd row of my Freestyle and had DS run out for a quick picture. (Please excuse his PJ's, lack of shirt and mohawk. :p It's bedtime and HOT here.)
Both seats are on the highest setting. I'm glad you made me do that because I wasn't expecting the results. :)

ETA: I have a black Oobr too. LMK if you want a close up of the fabric. It's been DS's full time booster for over a year and still looks like new. We eat & drink in the car and all I have to do is wipe crumbs off of it occasionally.

Last edited:

canadiangie

Isn't there a new black leather with cream stitching one? (not saddle,mwhich is brown, but black)

Guess we need a trip to the store to test it;).

I wish the black one was a Crypton super fabric. I want it to wear well but none of the other ones appeal to me.

tl01

Crazy. I just tossed the TB in next to the Oobr 3rd row of my Freestyle and had DS run out for a quick picture. (Please excuse his PJ's, lack of shirt and mohawk. :p It's bedtime and HOT here.)
Both seats are on the highest setting. I'm glad you made me do that because I wasn't expecting the results. :)

ETA: I have a black Oobr too. LMK if you want a close up of the fabric. It's been DS's full time booster for over a year and still looks like new. We eat & drink in the car and all I have to do is wipe crumbs off of it occasionally.

So, it looks like your son has about 2-3 inches in torso height on the Oobr. Does that seem right to you? If my son had three inches of torso growth room, would that seem reasonable? How do you feel about the gap between the headrest and torso part of the seat? Is there a better taller booster?

crunchierthanthou

canadiangie said:
Isn't there a new black leather with cream stitching one? (not saddle,mwhich is brown, but black)

Are you thinking of the Peg booster? It has a leather option with contrast stitching. LATCH, too. :love:

monstah

tl01 said:
So, it looks like your son has about 2-3 inches in torso height on the Oobr. Does that seem right to you? If my son had three inches of torso growth room, would that seem reasonable? How do you feel about the gap between the headrest and torso part of the seat? Is there a better taller booster?

I think that's about right. And 3 inches of torso height for a 6 year old seems plenty to me. I never thought twice about the gap. I adore the rigid latch.
I can grab a tape measure and do a little better tomorrow. DS just ran out to the car with no shoes on for me before getting in bed so it was super quick and I only took those two pictures.

What's interesting is to look at the top of the car. The Oobr is actually against the ceiling and being pushed forward because of the curve in the ceiling. I don't think I can actually use the Oobr on that top setting. So *potentially* the Turbo might last just as long in my third row.

tl01

I think that's about right. And 3 inches of torso height for a 6 year old seems plenty to me. I never thought twice about the gap. I adore the rigid latch.
I can grab a tape measure and do a little better tomorrow. DS just ran out to the car with no shoes on for me before getting in bed so it was super quick and I only took those two pictures.

What's interesting is to look at the top of the car. The Oobr is actually against the ceiling and being pushed forward because of the curve in the ceiling. I don't think I can actually use the Oobr on that top setting. So *potentially* the Turbo might last just as long in my third row.

That's quite kind of you to offer but not necessary. My car seems tall inside so I guess I should make sure I can use the Clek to its full potential.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC