Another one bites the dust!

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Noticed this guy a few months ago in a customer's car (I work for an automotive shop):

f0437f77.jpg

And talked to Grandpa about how expired it is (2003, btw) and we had a pretty fiesty debate about it, at the end it seemed like I had won but I really wasn't sure.... til he showed up today with a new Nautilus for me to teach him how to install for his four year old granddaughter. :love::love::love:

It's nice to win some. :D

ADS

jess71903

Ambassador
It's all about planting the seed. I have to remember that I don't always have to "win" right then and there. If I make them think about it enough to check into it themselves, then I've won.

brelza

How do you approach people? I see an older woman with a young toddler in an OBVIOUSLY expired seat. It's an over the head shield seat that is faded blue material and a grey plastic backing that even is faded from the sun. I really did a double take the 1st time I seen them because I could barely see the little boy behind the shield....and yes he's FF. He is walking but he was still a little unsteady on his feet in May.

What makes it harder is she doesn't speak English well. We've casually said HI to each other and then she'll always smile and go on her way. I've heard her speak to another mom and her English is very choppy. She does on occasion speak a different language to the little boy. I don't know which language it is. I CRINGE every time I see her at soccer practice getting the kid into and out of the seat but I don't know if she'd really understand me well enough to understand the fact that seats expire and he should really be rear facing still.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
brelza said:
How do you approach people?

It's easy at work because it's part of my job... I've never approached a stranger outside of work where most of the customers know me anyway because I work up front a lot too, but I can say hi one of my jobs here is teaching about car seat safety and I was walking through the shop and notices your seat.... etc. It usually goes great and parents just don't know that they were supposed to hook up a top tether or their seat was expired or whatever. I always start with a black and white like oh did you know you can't use LATCH in the center and then I move onto best practice if the conversation goes well and I want to talk about how a kid needs to be RF still or whatever. I've never approached anyone outside of work though... Some friends and acquaintances but that's it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC