3rd seat for RAV4? Or 3 across?

kszal

Our babysitter has a 2008 RAV4. From reading other threads I'm not sure if we'll be able to get 3 across in that car.

Does anyone know if you can get a 3rd (rear) seat for the RAV4? if so, which kid should we put in the back? And in which seat?

I would rather not have the babysitter use our car (MDX) but we can if no other option.

Our kids are
4.5 yrs, 33 lbs, 41 inches
2.5 yrs, 30 lbs, 39 inches
(will be) 3 months

Currently we have the older 2 in that car, in a Recaro and Radian, both FF (unfortunately we have troubles with carsickness if RFing). We have a coccoro and a snugride that we could put the baby in.

Thanks for any advice! (also, if I should put this Q in the car seat rather than the car forum, pls let me know)

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I can't think of a safe way to put those three three across in that car. You can get a third row, I believe; it's really only suitable for rear-facing. So I'd put the baby back there.

It apparently costs a few thousand dollars to get the third row and get it put in. Switching cars might be more practical.

bubbaray

I'm not sure that the 2008 had an available 3rd row. I know 2009 and newer did/does.

I have a 2010 RAV4 and IMO there is no safe way to get 3 across in the second row. JMHO.

crunchierthanthou

I'm not sure that the 2008 had an available 3rd row. I know 2009 and newer did/does.

I have a 2010 RAV4 and IMO there is no safe way to get 3 across in the second row. JMHO.

I've been able to get three across. It was two Radians side by side (they were R100s, but I don't know that it matters), and a Chicco Keyfit passenger side outboard. I about fainted when I got a proper install with that wonky center belt.

I would expect a CCO would fit in the spot where the KF was, and the driver's side Radian worked rf, too.

bubbaray

I've been able to get three across. It was two Radians side by side (they were R100s, but I don't know that it matters), and a Chicco Keyfit passenger side outboard. I about fainted when I got a proper install with that wonky center belt.

I would expect a CCO would fit in the spot where the KF was, and the driver's side Radian worked rf, too.

I am not comfortable with installing on top of that center belt. I'm only familiar with the 2009 and newer 2nd row. Even if I could fit 3 across, IMO it is not safe to install over top of the female end of the belt. JMHO & YMMV.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I am not comfortable with installing on top of that center belt. I'm only familiar with the 2009 and newer 2nd row. Even if I could fit 3 across, IMO it is not safe to install over top of the female end of the belt. JMHO & YMMV.

I feel the same way. The ONLY thing I'm comfortable with is a BubbleBum center (just fits between the anchors) and an RSTV or another seat (narrow booster or something reinstalled every time, like baseless infant seat) that fits without overlapping the anchors driver's side, with another narrow seat passenger. That won't work with the ages/sizes posted, at least until the eldest hits 40 lbs. and can ride in a backless appropriately.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC