Question Seatbelt Fit with LBB in 2011 Tuscon

vermontmoms

My boys usually ride in a HBB (SK Monterey) in our 2011 Tuscon. On Sat we needed to fit three almost 9yr old boys in the car so we put 3 LBB Montereys in the back seat.

All boys fit and were comfy but when I looked at the belt fit, the shoulder belt was a finger to two finger widths in front of the collarbone on the two outboard kids. I didn't think this was ok so mine are back in HBBs.

Does the shoulder/collarbone have to touch the seatbelt? If yes, then our boys will be in a HBB in this car for at least another year. The belt comes out of the side of the car by the door on this car which causes a big gap from the seat back. A kid would need to be pretty bulky to fill this space. Would the harmony literider LBB be a better LBB option since it has the seatbelt guide strap?

Thanks for your help!
Jen

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm pretty sure I remember wondering this back in the olden days, and coming to the conclusion the belt has to touch the chest, the shoulder isn't really a worry. Are there no belt guides on the Montereys? (I had a mom at BRU with a neck-rub issue and I told her to go home and search for it, but I wasn't sure if it even came with one :eek:)

vermontmoms

joolsplus3 said:
I'm pretty sure I remember wondering this back in the olden days, and coming to the conclusion the belt has to touch the chest, the shoulder isn't really a worry. Are there no belt guides on the Montereys? (I had a mom at BRU with a neck-rub issue and I told her to go home and search for it, but I wasn't sure if it even came with one :eek:)

There are no belt guide straps on our montereys when using just the lbb. That is why I thought the literider would be a better lbb option. We mostly use the monterey in hbb mode which has belt guides and works great in this car. Howeve it would be nice to be able to transport three kiddos in this car for short outings in lbb mode. I am thinking we will need 2 new lbb b/c without a belt guide the seatbelt is so far out it only touches the child's sternum and then the gap starts and widens as you get to shoulder. To me the shoulder strap offers minimal protection in lbb mode b/c of the gap btwn it and the child.

bubbaray

I am using the Monterey as a LBB in my vehicle due to the headrest issue. It also does not touch DD1s shoulder but does touch her chest. It is not ideal, but the lower belt fit is awesome so I'm leaving it.

ETA Jools, there is no belt guide strap for the Monterey in LBB mode.

vermontmoms

bubbaray said:
I am using the Monterey as a LBB in my vehicle due to the headrest issue. It also does not touch DD1s shoulder but does touch her chest. It is not ideal, but the lower belt fit is awesome so I'm leaving it.

ETA Jools, there is no belt guide strap for the Monterey in LBB mode.

I agree the lower belt fit is great. But I am concerned if we were hit from the side the child would be ejected or seriously hurt b/c the shoulder belt is hardly touching the child. Also in a forward collision the child would experience much more forward head excursion b/c the belt is not tight against them.

These are my concerns about using it in lbb mode. Maybe it doesn't matter as much as I think it would. But it sure looks unsafe. I will post a pic when I can and show how much space is btwn the belt and the kiddo.

Would the lbb with the shoulder guide strap help reduce the gap? Or would it still be an issue b/c of the seatbelt position in the car?

Thanks for everyone's help...I am trying to get use to my boys reduction of car seat but it just seems like they are just so unprotected with each step we take toward seatbelt only. I know at 9, they have made it longer than most in a hbb but I still worry.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC