DH wants to get a minivan - only have one DC

niccig

Our lease is up middle of next year - Subaru Tribeca, and we're talking about possible replacements. DH wants to consider a minivan, an odyssey or a sienna. Part of me would love the sliding doors, and all the other conveniences. A friend's minivan has adjustable cup holders that had me in a swoon :love: But we only have one DC, and probably aren't having any more - that could change, but for now we're really happy as we are. DS is 2.5yo. A part of me says it's too much car for 2 people, it'll mostly be just DS and me. We do haul things in our Subaru on weekends for the house/garden. And when family visit, the car is full - 5-6 people and cargo. My parents visit for 3-4 weeks twice a year and we all go in one car. DH is also talking about future carpools and DS's friends.

I don't get the best gas mileage in my car (17.4), and we would like better than that. DH's car is a 2004 Prius, so compared to that every car is a guzzler. I do like my friend's minivan, and can see the value of it - they only have one DC, but are planning on DC#2 and her husband uses it for work cargo. I don't care about how a minivan looks or the soccer mum image - you just have to look in my car to see the carseat to know I have a kid. I just wonder if it is too much car for us, even though I WANT sliding doors! If it got better mileage than my current car, I could be persuaded

ADS

southpawboston

if you don't really want a minivan and think it's too much vehicle for one child but you also really like the idea of sliding doors (as you've mentioned you do) and being able to haul lots of stuff around in the back, consider the mazda5. it's a "micro" van. seats 6, and with the third row folded down, holds a huge amount of cargo. so on the rare occassions when you have to haul around 5-6 people, you can (although the third row is probably not very comfy at all). the whole car is barely larger than a prius, but a bit taller. it also gets 27 mpg highway.

also consider the kia rondo. same concept of the mazda5 (three seating rows in a compact wagon), but no sliding doors.

lovinwaves

Well Safety is the #1 reason we got the Odyssey minivan. It really is a luxury minivan. I can't tell you how much I love the sliding doors. It makes putting my children in their carseats easier because I don't have to worry about door-dinging the car beside me. To me the Odyssey doesn't fit the typical minivan stereotype. It is very sleek, stylish, sporty, and luxurious :)

We have had our minivan loaded with adults, and they ALL sat very comfortably even in the third row.

I often question Dh about our van.."Did we really need this minivan honey?" His response is always "SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY!" So he obviously does not regret the decision.

The Ody gets the best gas mileage by the way ;)

lynsgirl

Well Safety is the #1 reason we got the Odyssey minivan. It really is a luxury minivan. I can't tell you how much I love the sliding doors. It makes putting my children in their carseats easier because I don't have to worry about door-dinging the car beside me. To me the Odyssey doesn't fit the typical minivan stereotype. It is very sleek, stylish, sporty, and luxurious :)

We have had our minivan loaded with adults, and they ALL sat very comfortably even in the third row.

I often question Dh about our van.."Did we really need this minivan honey?" His response is always "SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY!" So he obviously does not regret the decision.

The Ody gets the best gas mileage by the way ;)

:thumbsup: I have an 8-passenger Sienna, so it's not exactly the same, but my sentiments *are* the same! :love:

lovinwaves

:thumbsup: I have an 8-passenger Sienna, so it's not exactly the same, but my sentiments *are* the same! :love:

Oh yes, I have just as much :love: love for the Sienna as well. Now THAT was a hard decision.... Especially coming from my beloved Toyota 4-Runner that I owned for 5 years.

Tiffanie

Oh I would so love a Sienna :D But until I hit the lottery my Windstar will have to do :lol:

If you personally do not want it, I wouldn't get it. But I do say ever since I got my minivan, which I was originally 100% against at first because I never drive an automatic let alone a minivan, I am extremely happy to have one for safety reasons. :D My kids are safe, I can stash so many groceries in there it's crazy and when my friends and I go somewhere we can all take one vehicle. Always works out to a plus somewhere :)

Btw, I doubt I'll ever give up my power sliding doors now :ROTFLMAO:

Caryn

We took delivery on our new '07 Sienna (8-passenger) one week ago. I tried my best to get us into an SUV to avoid the whole "minivan" thing, but after seriously considering safety, gas mileage and the number of comfortable seats, we went with the Sienna.

I am LOVING it. The power doors (which I wasn't going to get) are a huge bonus. The various seating arrangement options are great, and there is loads of cargo room (we have 2 kids, one on the way, and they're all in the second row).

The gas mileage is OK for a vehicle of this size. 19 city and 26 highway. Since we're usually doing short runs around town it's not a big deal. I was not willing to compromise on safety to save a little gas.

magoose

One of the vans we own is a Toyota Sienna 8 seater. It makes sense for our family as we have a lot of kids. I think it would be big if you have one child. I am also very familiar with the Honda Odysee and it is very similar to the Siena. The new van of the yr seems to be the Kia Sedona but I am not familiar with it. Rates no.1 safety and no.1 quality/reliability. Bad news is ranks no.6 out of 9 for gas milage and value. Anna

magoose

You might want to look at the Mazda 5 some one mentioned. It is supposed to have the best gas milage and appears to be a smaller mini van. Anna

ateammom

This past weekend I looked at a Saturn Outlook, the new SUV. It doesn't have sliding doors like the minivans, but it did have really nice captains chairs in the 2nd row and a nice sized 3rd row. Anyone else have this vehicle? I too can't decide! I love the idea of the room and the sliding doors, as well as the gas mileage (I currently have a beast of a Durango that I'm trying to sell; lots of room but needs lots of gas) but I am not crazy about driving a van.

lovinwaves

This past weekend I looked at a Saturn Outlook, the new SUV. It doesn't have sliding doors like the minivans, but it did have really nice captains chairs in the 2nd row and a nice sized 3rd row. Anyone else have this vehicle? I too can't decide! I love the idea of the room and the sliding doors, as well as the gas mileage (I currently have a beast of a Durango that I'm trying to sell; lots of room but needs lots of gas) but I am not crazy about driving a van.

Have you driven the Odyssey or Sienna?
I would suggest you do that before deciding you don't want a minivan. The Odyssey is super sporty, and is fun to drive considering it's size and purpose.

mommy2env

Have you driven the Odyssey or Sienna?
I would suggest you do that before deciding you don't want a minivan. The Odyssey is super sporty, and is fun to drive considering it's size and purpose.

:yeahthat:

You should drive one before you rule it out. I wasnt so thrilled about driving a minivan, but once we drove it we fell in love :love: I have an 06' 8 passanger sienna that I love to drive. I actually feel cool driving it :cool: LOL, never thought I would.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I'm thirding (or fourthing?) the Mazda5 suggestion. I love mine (with one exception, which would be unlikely to be an issue for you with only one chid).

1. It's smaller than a minivan - my two friends have a Town & Country and a Sedona, and it's very noticeably smaller all around.

2. There is little to no cargo space with the rear row seats up, but folded down there is plenty for a family of 3.

3. It gets 28mph on the highway, 24 (25?) in town.

4. I swear its turn radius is the same as my VW Golf's!

5. It's got the sliding doors, which I love, and so far I've had absolutely no problems installing car seats in the center row (Marathon FF and Husky w/recline bar and both SBP and LBP).

6. It's very well-priced, considerably cheaper than the other minivans. (My base model was $16,500.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC