Can your child undo or buckle their Radian

ninejr

I would like to teach A to buckle and unbuckle her radian. It is an older 2010 one if that makes a difference. Any tricks for a child to buckle or unbuckle?

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

ADS

katymyers

How old is your kid? My boys can do the chest clip and they both 'help' with the buckle and pulling the adjuster strap tight and they are two and three

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
My 5 and 7 year olds can both buckle and unbuckle. I can't really think of any tricks...they just do it.

ninejr

katymyers said:
How old is your kid? My boys can do the chest clip and they both 'help' with the buckle and pulling the adjuster strap tight and they are two and three

She will be 5 in August, she can buckle the chest up, but can't undo it.

mamakc

My 5 year old has been able to buckle it for a couple years, and within the last year learned to unbuckle it. My 3.5 year old just bucked himself into it for the first time yesterday, actually.

-Krista
DD~5 Monterey /youth booster
DS~3~ Maestro / radian
DN~1~ Radian xtsl

amanny

My 4 year old can unbuckle the top and "red part", and can buckle completely as well. The 6 year old can only buckle and unbuckle the chest clip.

canadiangie

Both of them have been able to since about two years old. They both had good manual dexterity and strength early on. At one point it was almost an issue -- especially with my youngest, but she's a stinker. I've had a million seats and they've been able to do them all. I thought buckling a booster might be tough for my oldest, but no. My 21 m/o is pretty close to releasing her chest clip...

I'm just not sure you can teach it. I mean you can do hand over hand to teach the actual motion, but if she isn't strong enough she isn't strong enough. I think you will know pretty quickly if she's physically able to. Just sit with her one evening and give her one on one time, and see how she does.

skylinphoto

Just a few days ago I had to put my 6 year old in our radian (he normally rides in a hbb..but I had to have cybex replace a part)...and he is just now at 6 able to buckle and unbuckle the radian.....sometimes. lol. He has slightly poor muscle tone though.

amyd

My 4 year old can buckle the clip and knows how the crotch buckle goes but can't do it by himself. I don't know if he can unbuckle. I haven't tried teaching him because I'm not sure I trust him.

bnsnyde

4 and 5-year-olds do, yes.

But I can't even tighten the one. Dives me batty and I'm switcing to a Frontier soon hopefully before winter. The other one tightens. So maybe it's the angle of the seat; one makes the harness get caught, since it's two different seating positions. Both are FF now.

On my Prosport, my kids can both loosen, buckle and tighten!

tam_shops

My 6yo has been buckling/unbuckling his MA and the RN for a few years now. He started w/ the chest clip, then could do one buckle and eventually do up both buckles, as long as he was in light clothing. At some point in there, he could push the button to release it also.

My 3yo, is just starting to do up the chest clip now. For some reason, I'm sure my older guy was doing it before this, as he was doing it (well) by the time his baby brother came along! LOL

Best of luck!

tam

Pixels

My 4yo has been buckling and unbuckling the chest clip forever. I think she was right about two when she undid the chest clip while I was driving. She has just started buckling the crotch strap within the past few weeks. The first side is easier than the second. It's easier if the harness has been loosened rather than left at the proper tightness. She knows how to unbuckle but she doesn't have the strength to actually do it.

abbi_n_nadia

My 5yo dd is just now able to buckle her fr85 harness. She can usually only do one side tho and can't get the second angled the right way to click it in. And she has just figured out how to unbuckle. She's been able to do the chest clip for a few years tho. My 2yo can close her chest clip but can't undo it or the buckle thank goodness!

ElfJewel

Ian can buckle and unbuckle his. I don't know if there are any tricks, he just can. I didn't teach him.

ninejr

christineka said:
For my kids, the trick is to buy the longer crotch strap. It's easier to undo than the shorter one.

Wait, there is a longer crotch strap for the radian? That would make my night. Do I need a whole new harness? Does the longer strap work on the sunshine kids radians or just Diono?

christineka

Wait, there is a longer crotch strap for the radian? That would make my night. Do I need a whole new harness? Does the longer strap work on the sunshine kids radians or just Diono?

It's just a longer crotch strap. I have sk radians. I assume they make the longer crotch strap for the diono seats as well because I know it was a popular replacement part.

amelia222

My dd just turned 3 and can buckle herself if I loosen the harness first. She has been doing up the chest clip for I guess around a year but she's never tried to undo it and I'm not about to teach her how. There's no way she could press the button to undo the buckle though, she has crazy good dexterity but next to no grip strength.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

emntheboys

Alex is in an older Radian and he can completely buckle and unbuckle himself now. He's only been able to do it since about Feb though.

laurengt

My son is 2.5 and can buckle/unbuckle the chest clip. We also have a 2010 radian, FWIW. I have never seen him do it on our late 2011 Radian, but that one is in DHs car so I rarely see him in it, not necessarily that he can't do it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC