Question bucket seat question

brelza

A group of moms I know got into the discussion of "all those babies with dangling feet" in bucket seats.

One works at BRU & stated that her friends little girl's feet dangle over the edge and the mom keeps saying she hasn't outgrown it.

The woman I was talking to keeps saying they have to get a new seat because her feet dangle about 4" over the edge of the carrier.

I stated everything I read was as long as the little girls head isn't within an inch of the top of the carrier she was ok. That the 1" rule is what is important not where her feet are.

To which she replied all the videos and papers(I guess BRU training information) say feet should not be dangling over an infant carrier. It's permitted in a convertible seat only.

So is the 1" rule dismissed for dangling feet? I didn't think so. Anyone have info to shed some light on this? :thanx!:

I want to know for my own information as I'll never be able to convince the other woman that what she thinks isn't the way it is...if she is in fact not correct in her train of thought. I'm pondering also, if this is what they are training BRU employees, where the employees get trained. If they are giving out incorrect information, it's a scary thought!

ADS

Brianna

I would ask them what page of the infant manual you can find this information on, or where else the manufacturer has stated this is unsafe.

IIRC, it used to be that some car seats were outgrown when feet hung over the edge, but I've never seen it in a manual.

brelza

I would ask them what page of the infant manual you can find this information on, or where else the manufacturer has stated this is unsafe.

IIRC, it used to be that some car seats were outgrown when feet hung over the edge, but I've never seen it in a manual.

That's the thing, she isn't going by the manual or anything like that...according to her she's going by the training materials she used when being trained to be a BRU employee. Maybe the stuff is really that old and they are using old info?

What is IIRC? :eek:

Brianna

If I Recall Correctly.
I can tell she's not going by the manuals ;) Car seat rules are specific to each car seat, and outdated blanket advice simply doesn't apply anymore. There's nothing I can link you to that says "It's no longer unsafe for baby's legs to hang off infant seats", there's just no longer a prohibition in the manual.

brelza

If I Recall Correctly.
I can tell she's not going by the manuals ;) Car seat rules are specific to each car seat, and outdated blanket advice simply doesn't apply anymore. There's nothing I can link you to that says "It's no longer unsafe for baby's legs to hang off infant seats", there's just no longer a prohibition in the manual.

I was thinking have I been telling those to come to me the wrong stuff? But I didn't think so. I know blanket statements generally DON"T apply to all the seats out there but the 1" bucket seat 'rule' seemed pretty universal for what is available around here and a pretty safe test for whether a bucket seat is outgrown.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC