Wet swim suits in my seats!

VoodooChile

And I mean my kids' seats, of course.
So here's the deal. My kids are taking swim lessons at the outdoor pool here in town, and there's really no place for them to change. There's one (disgusting) bathroom with no privacy. And they're not going to change outside (dd is school age and sees kids from school there). I do not drive a van so changing in the car would be a comedy of errors. So today we drove home in soggy (not soaked) suits. Is this going to ruin their seats (Cobalt RXT and Oobr)?

ADS

T4K

Is it hot? Because I dry off in about 15 minutes drip drying outside. Can they read a book for a few minutes before taking off?

I know I know, not practical but it's what we do.

MommyShannon

I just make sure they are drying off a few minutes before we leave. Their suits are just damp by the time they get in. I do crack the windows for a little after too to make sure they dry.

skylinphoto

When we go to the beach and my kids are in wet swimsuits in the car...I take their rain jackets (thin material) and put em under their butts. Its thin enough for me not to worry and waterproof. Plus, the jackets are normally kept in our car anyway.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I would get the Diono piddle pads, as well as doing my best to dry them off. Also if there's a way to shower them or hose them down with regular water, that would help. I doubt the wet will ruin the seats, but the pool water chlorine might fade the covers.

BananaBoat

We (the whole family including DH & I) change suits at the outdoor pool & beach with the towel trick. Wrap large towel around oneself, take suit off with one hand while holding towel with other hand. Put on undies or dry suit the same way & voila! Done. If your kiddos can't manage by themselves, you can hold the towel like a curtain for them. There's no where to change at the beach & I'm not going to take half the ocean & sand into my car!

T4K

After I've sun dried for a bit, I do something similar to Suza. Except it's easy with a dress. After the swimsuit is somewhat dry, I slip on a dress, take off my suit, and slip on my undies.

bnsnyde

We go from pool to van dry off a bit on the way...no way I'm changing anybody. And we stop swimming in December b/c obviously when it's FREEZING, dripping wet isn't so nice.

We are a bit cold by then, but still, no way we're changing.
I had this day dream we'd go into the showers and the kids would get bathed and dry clothes. 2 birds with one stone. No way.

The seats get damp and dry right away.

Crys22B

Same for us here! So if there's a somewhat private area at your pool this is what we do: I just get a big beach towel hold it up in front of my boys and have them change really fast! The towel totally covers them so they aren't seen. That's what some of the other moms were doing so our boys didn't feel too embarrassed about it. Idk if chlorine water messes up fabric but I didn't want to chance it.

Baylor

I have a huge beach towel and I wrap it around them loosely to make changing room and they take off suit and just slip into loose shorts then into car.

auto correct hates me

SavsMom

At the beach I usually just open both doors on one side of the car and hold up a towel so dd can take off her suit and throw on a big t shirt and shorts....takes just a couple extra minutes but saves her seats from getting super soaked.

cryswilkins

For girls I would get a thicker terry cloth type cover up that they can put on over the damp suit. For a boy I would probably do the towel trick.

Sent from my iPhone, please excuse my typos.

thtr4me

I would do the towel trick for a quick change into tees and undies for the drive home. I have limited rear passenger room, but can strip DS out of pants quite easily with him standing in front of his seat. He has frequent potty accidents, so I have had to do this quite a few times.

tam_shops

I have an [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Pop-Up-Tent-size-inner/dp/B004DTAJAK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1340072769&sr=8-3&keywords=pop+up+tent"]instant pop up tent [/ame]and we all change in there.

I wouldn't put a suit w/ chlorine all over it into the car seat, I'd worry it would bleach the seat, the same way it bleaches your bathing suit.

tam

VoodooChile

Thanks everyone! Today dd is wearing a dress so she can shimmy out of her suit bottoms and put on underwear, and then take off her top. Then she'll hold up a towel so I can swap out ds's trunks for his underwear and shorts. I hope it works!
Thanks again!

canadiangie

Cargo area of Pilot?

Have a towel spread out and their clothes right there. Throw them in, close the hatch, they get dressed, then hop over the 2nd row into their seats.

The cargo area of my Pilot does triple, maybe even quadruple duty for a wide range of things. From picnics to pottying... (but never at the same time! :love:)

leighi123

I hold up a towel by the door and ds takes his suit off and gets right in his seat - naked! We go right home and he hits the shower.

I also made him a towel with a hold in the middle, like a big poncho, he can change under that without anyone seeing

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC