Maxi Cosi Rodi XR (lots of pictures + video)

PikkuMyy

I decided to take the plunge and order a Maxi Cosi Rodi XR for my son. We picked it up from the UPS hub yesterday and I'm very pleased with it so far! Elias is just booster training but he's already doing 10x better than a few weeks ago!

My son is almost 5.5 years old. He's approximately 46 inches tall and hovers between 43 and 45 lbs. Last I checked, his torso was about 16.5 inches long. The car in which the pictures were taken is a 1998 Lexus es300.

IMG_2088.jpg

The box looked a little beaten but once I got it open, everything was intact.

IMG_2096.jpg

First, we tried it as a no-back booster. It's difficult to tell from the picture but the lap belt wasn't even on his hips, it was very far forward on his thighs. Shoulder belt fit was better than any other NBB I've stuck him in for pictures.

IMG_2098.jpg
IMG_2099.jpg

Next, I went to put the back portion on the booster. The manual said these things on the sides were supposed to "click in." Well, they don't. However, the black things catch onto a lip so it stays on.

IMG_2102.jpg

The seat and back attach in a similar fashion as the Graco Turbobooster but this seat seems much more sturdy. I don't see it falling apart the same way.

IMG_2103.jpg
IMG_2104.jpg

It also has a recline adjustment. The first picture is NOT reclined. The second is reclined.

IMG_2100.jpg
IMG_2107.jpg

All put together!

IMG_2101.jpg

You can see where the side wings adjust if you look at the back of the seat. However, the manual says that you can push/pull on the sides from the front and adjust them that way.

IMG_2105.jpg

This is what the belt guide looks like.

IMG_2109.jpg

The lap-belt fit is great with the back attached!

IMG_2110.jpg
IMG_2112.jpg

Looks like a nice overall fit too!

IMG_2114.jpg

I like the side impact protection it provides.

IMG_2118.jpg

Side impact wing exposed.

ADS

PikkuMyy

IMG_2119.jpg
IMG_2120.jpg

Head wings exposed.

IMG_2121.jpg

Lowest

IMG_2122.jpg

Highest

IMG_2123.jpg

The seat barely fits in my back seat on the highest setting.

IMG_2124.jpg

There's definitely a gap between the vehicle and booster seat with the head restraint in place, but nothing in the manual prohibits a gap that I could find.

IMG_2125.jpg

When the booster is in recline mode, it looks like this from the back.

IMG_2126.jpg

The seat sits flush against the vehicle seat with the head restraint removed. It works for now but the head restraint will have to go back on eventually because this booster requires vehicle support.

IMG_2129.jpg

Elias fell asleep on our way home from a friend's house last night. I actually ended up moving the head rest down a notch from where I had it for the pictures above. I didn't take pictures of the weird cupholder but you can sort of see it in this picture. It snaps in on either side.

Here's my 5 year old's video review ;) :

Kat_Momof3

well I LOVE how it fits your vehicle, your kid... IMO, it's the perfect seat for you guys!

awesome!

and he is TOO MUCH!

PikkuMyy

well I LOVE how it fits your vehicle, your kid... IMO, it's the perfect seat for you guys!

awesome!

and he is TOO MUCH!

Thanks! I'm glad I ordered it, even though I sort of took a risk. Returning it would not have been free. He sat it in again today and I'm in love! It's working out sooo much better for us than the TB that I'm *almost* ready for him to be a full-time booster rider. This, coming from someone who once said (half-jokingly) that my kid would be in a harness until middle school. :p

He *is* too much some days. He keeps me entertained. That's for sure! lol

Kat_Momof3

well, I bet the harness would still be more comfy on longer trips since he clearly is a car sleeper :D but the booster fits him great and the guides seem to be less angled than I remembered... hmm... if I could have waited, I might have gotten one of these for Ruthie for her dad's car... ah, well.

PikkuMyy

well, I bet the harness would still be more comfy on longer trips since he clearly is a car sleeper :D but the booster fits him great and the guides seem to be less angled than I remembered... hmm... if I could have waited, I might have gotten one of these for Ruthie for her dad's car... ah, well.

I absolutely would not take him on a longer trip without the FR85. The FR85 has amazing leg support and Elias likes to cross his legs on longer rides. His head does flop forward when asleep in the FR85 but he has never complained. Actually, the FR85 will probably go back in my car full time once the school year ends next week and he'll get to ride in the new booster every once in a while. I couldn't use the FR85 when carpooling because it covers the outboard buckle stalks. I've been putting it in for the weekends and long trips but using a Maestro (and Nautilus before that) during the week.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
OK, so talk to me again about the sturdiness... So it attaches like a Turbo but NOT as flimsy feeling? I hate that about the turbo. I HATE how the back falls off. Urhm...

I.do.not.need.more.boosters.

christineka

OK, so talk to me again about the sturdiness... So it attaches like a Turbo but NOT as flimsy feeling? I hate that about the turbo. I HATE how the back falls off. Urhm...

It looks like the rodi xr may attach in more places than the rodi. The rodi doesn't fall apart as easily as the turbo, but it's easy to take it apart and put it back together. I use it backless half the time now. (My second child somehow grew torso since I bought the rodi and suddenly is too tall.) It's a great seat, though. I really like it. My kids really like it too.

PikkuMyy

The construction as a whole feels sturdier and heavier. I haven't deliberately tried to make the back fall off, but I'll see how easily it comes off tomorrow and I'll get back to you. ;)

ETA: I had to go to my car for something so I took it out for a minute. When I picked it up by the back portion, the tabs on the side held on strong. Then I went to hold it by the front of the seat portion and it went flat. The back was still attached though and the recline feature was keeping it from flopping off completely. Once I moved the recline foot forward, the back practically fell off. Personally, the front of the seat would not be the first place I'd think to hold to carry the seat. Either way, I felt that the back was easier to attach onto the seat than the Turbo when I was putting it together the first time.

Last edited:

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
The video is killer, I love it!!!! Best explanation of proper booster riding EVER! :love:

Thanks for all the pics!

PikkuMyy

Thanks everyone! :) Elias is certainly a character. He always has been! Now I'm thinking I should post the "Maxi Cosi Rodi XR unboxing video gone bad." He was *supposed* to be filming me but turned the camera on himself half-way through. lol He looooves taking videos of himself with my phone or his Leappad. However, if you put him on a stage, he gets silent.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC