Thoughts on Dorel company

kelcast

I was planning on buying a saftey 1st guide 65 for my 6 month old until I can afford a Radian and then give it to my in laws as a back up seat for her but then I read this article and I'm having huge doubts. I already had the safety 1st all in one for my oldest and I HATED it but I was willing to give the guide 65 a chance. What are your thoughts on this article http://dailymomtra.com/2011/03/07/dorel-the-car-seat-company-that-doesnt-care-about-safety/

Last edited:
ADS

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I think the article is one person's personal issues with a company. Her information is incomplete and inaccurate. I would not put much stock in it at all.

The Guide 65 is completely different than their 3 in 1 seats. I think you will be pleased with the Guide 65. Don't let one person's vendetta against a company sway you.

Marvin711

Interesting food for thought. I generally have a bad taste in my mouth for manufacturers that seem to be concerned about the bottom line and making money over the safety of my child. So that said if some of these facts are true, would be hard for me to trust a company that seems to be super slow on notifying consumers of problems. However, look at Diono and the superLATCH issue...
Unfortunately all the companies are in business to make money! I think choosing a seat that fits your car, your child and is properly installed is still most important factor. Then you can take the public image/past trustworthiness of manufacturer into account
Just my two cents!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
We've discussed this before. Rather than retyping my thoughts, I'll paste them. ;)

LISmama810 said:
Well, her assertions about US standards are misleading and simplistic. No, US seats might not meet foreign standards, but seats from other countries don't necessarily meet ours either. That doesn't mean they're worse, just different.

I agree our standards could be improved, but not because of her argument that we drive faster than 30 mph. That proves that she doesn't quite get it.

She also implies that it's Dorel seats that barely meet the standards, when really she has no idea.

As for her Dorel-specific arguments, she has some valid and some invalid points.

The 10-year-old recall? On it's face it looks atrocious, but there's more to it. If you read Dorel's response to NHTSA, the company had a lot of valid points. Yes, the straps degraded, but I'm not convinced they were a safety hazard. It was NHTSA--not Dorel--who dragged its feet on that issue.

The statement about rear-facing being inconvenient is concerning, but in all fairness, that was issued from their European division in response to a study in England, where they only rear-face until about 9 months. That doesn't excuse it, but it's also unfair to overlook Dorel's contributions in the US. They had 35-lb RFing seats when most companies still went to 33 max. They also came out with one of the first 40-lb seats on the market.

As for them coming out with more seats while other companies take a long time, Dorel is the only manufacturer to have an on-site testing facility. I imagine that allows them to speed up their process.

Also, the number of recalls doesn't concern me at all. I don't see recalls as a negative thing. I'd rather know about a defect than not know about a defect. Just because a company hasn't had a recall doesn't mean there isn't something wrong.

That's not to say I don't have issues with Dorel. I actually have quite a few of them.

They do have some unsafe (IMO) products that should be recalled and haven't been. (Namely the Scenera with the harness-slicing spikes.)

I have an issue with their marketing, particularly of the AOE (and especially the older version) as "the only seat you'll ever need" and the 100-lb weight limit that many people assume is for the harness. The fact that that seat is allowed as a booster at all is an atrocity.

I have a big problem with their insistence that their RF convertibles be used at 45 degrees. Not from a practical standpoint, per se, but I truly believe that is more dangerous for an older kid than using it more upright.

I'm personally having issues with them right now because some people were reporting that customer service told them they could remove the harness covers from their Complete Airs. I was a bit incredulous about that, so I called and was told the same thing. Rather emphatically, in fact.

Then Dorel held a technical update and said there were structural changes to the seat and if the seat came with those covers, they must not be removed.

Now they're refusing to give me a refund on my destroyed seat because they don't authorize removal of the covers. And their rep is telling me there were no structural changes.

So, bottom line: I, personally, will not buy Dorel products (anymore :rolleyes:) I also won't hesitate to recommend them to other people when appropriate. I feel the company is shady, but I don't feel their products are inherently unsafe. Just like I won't buy a Nestlee Crunch Bar: I don't feel the candy will kill me, but I won't support the company.

Mysweethoneybee

I know a family that was in a roll over crash. Their kids were in Sceneras and while the Sceneras didn't fair well the kids were kept perfectly safe. A few bumps and bruises, but I doubt a Radian or Britax would have kept them any safer.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I have a lot of issues with the company, but I take each car seat on a case-by-case basis an choose the one that fits my car, my child, and my budget the best with a high priority on extended rear-facing.

And if that seat happens to be a Dorel seat, so be it.

I get on here and defend Diono from angry people all the time, not because I think they always handle things right, but because I don't think it makes sense to stop using (or refuse to buy) a car seat that has a great track record just because the company pisses people off or hires stupid PR or CS reps. I've heard of bad information and occasionally bad products coming out of Britax, Diono, Dorel, and Evenflo. The only company I think I've never heard anything bad about is Clek, but they don't have a complete enough line-up of car seats (for every child/car/budget) to ditch all the other companies. And, frankly, if they got as big as the other companies I'd start expecting things to slip through the cracks. It's the nature of the industry.

mommaon112903

I agree with LISmama810's previous reply/thoughts about this. She is or I should say was on another forum that I belong to..she has quite the opinion and that is ALL it is, an opionion on Dorel.

cowgirlsmommy

I've been to the Dorel factory. They really do work hard on their seats. I think many people have a hatred towards a certain company or seat. I was mad at Sunshine Kids before for some of the responses I had received but figured out the problem with my car that was causing an incompatibility. As it turns out, with the new angle adjuster, the seat is fine in my car now. I love my Britax seats but I know people who would never want to go near one because of a bad experience. Car seats are man made. There is no way to make sure every single one pops out 100% perfect. Most companies will look for a quick fix to problems that do pop up even if it's not the fix all people would've chosen. Also think of the fact that we know 9 out of 10 car seats are being used incorrectly so when someone says something isn't working on a seat, it's really easy to think they're doing something wrong instead of the seat being faulty. With a car you can take it to a dealership where they can verify the problem. With a toy or other product someone from the CPSC can come out to your home and see the issue and take action if necessary. Unfortunately, when a car seat problem pops up there aren't people from the NHTSA or Safe Kids popping up on the doorstep to verify the issue. If a car seat fits your child, fits your vehicle, fits your budget, and you feel completely comfortable with the install, get it.

kam1011

The Guide 65 is very different from their old 3-in-1's. I agree with everything everyone said, both sides of the issue. You have to be confident in the company and trust them to act in the interest of the safety of your child, both before and after the sale of the seat. There are two companies that I won't buy from, one that I never would from the start and the other that I have owned seats by them already, but I will never again. That's for me. (Notice I'm not naming names or publicly bashing any company!) Trust is important. Go with your gut.

glockchick

There are two companies that I won't buy from, one that I never would from the start and the other that I have owned seats by them already, but I will never again. That's for me. (Notice I'm not naming names or publicly bashing any company!) Trust is important. Go with your gut.

You know you can't get away with that. We wanna know who and why. ;)

Kobain's Mommy

I have 3 Safety 1st Complete Air seats but will never own a 3 in 1 seat. We love our CAs. Right now have one is in my van for a back up seat. I have on in my dad's truck RFing. My kids don't ride with my dad much, but it's a seat can quickly be adjusted for either kid. My dad hates 2 seats installed at one time unless the kids are using them, so he's got a Meastro in the box (with a topper) of the truck in case he'd need to take both kids. The third one is in my mom's car for DS RFing.

tam_shops

I object to her complaints about expired seats not being recalled. Seats have an expiration date for numerous reasons and eventual failure of things like the straps is a known problem w/ all seats. My Graco SS1 had a crotch strap adjuster that needed replacing after 1 child, these things happen...

As for the Canadian comparison, it's not quite accurate. Canada does not require that car seat companies use a top tether, they simply require a lesser amount of head movement than American regulations do. And, the only (easy/affordable) way car seat companies can achieve that is to add a top tether. Further, it's not (necessarily) that Canada does now allow the same seats here, often it's that the American companies can not be bothered to test them for her (smaller market) and/or label (Canadian cm/kg and French) and then write a new manual (french and again cm/kg), plus tether requirements, for here. We also do not allow Swedish seats here, yet no one would argue that they are a lesser product. I know that's just semantics, but it suggests to me she didn't do her homework.

As for those 3 in 1 seats. Not a fan, never been a fan, and can add them to a long list of seats I don't like and would never buy, but that's not what you're looking at.

Have you thought about a Scenera in the mean time and/or your old 3 in 1 RF. Then you don't have to spend as much until you can afford what you want.

tam

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC