Cars with 4 or more Tether Anchors?

mom2many

We currently have an 04 Quest. Really like it, have had no complaints at all. Except that it looks like we're about to outgrow it.

Our current setup: 1 center captain's chair, FF Marathon. 1 center captain's chair, RF Marathon (tether with D-ring to front row seat), and Regent in center of back seat.

It looks like we're going to be adding another one to the crew, likely in a FF Marathon.

So...long story short, I need a vehicle that offers 4 (or more) tether anchors. I'm not ok with installing the Regent without a tether; my daughter's only 4, and had serious developmental delays, so she's not at all ready to move to a BPB. And my daughter in the RF Marathon, I really need her in the front seat for access reasons (again, lots of SNs).

So far, I've found that the Sienna has 5 tethers. I think some Odyssey's do as well...but only certain years?

Basically, anything available in the US with 4 or more tethers, please let me know! DH isn't too keen on another minivan, even though I'm working on him. But if I can show him how few vehicles there really are that will work for our family...

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
The Honda Pilot has 6 TAs (2 with Lower LATCH anchors), but the 3rd row is a PITB to access, especially if you have seats installed in the 2nd row.

The Honda Odyssey has:
All-'98 - 5 TA positions (not preinstalled)
'99 - 2 TA positions in 3rd row (not preinstalled). Can be used by 2nd row if 3rd row is folded.
'00 - 2 preinstalled, plus 3 more TA positions.
'01-'04 - 3 preinstalled (two of those have Lower LATCH anchors), plus two more TA positions.
'05 - 3 preinstalled (two of those have Lower LATCH anchors).
'06-'07 - 5 preinstalled (three of those have Lower LATCH anchors).

The '04-'06 Toyota Sienna has 4 TAs in the 7 seater and 5 TAs in the 8 seater. All of those positions also have Lower LATCH anchors.

mom2many

Thanks, Ulrike, I knew that this would be the perfect place to ask! :)

Yeah, I can't see how we could get the Pilot to work. With two Marathons in the 2nd row...no idea how we'd get two kids under 4 to climb in the back and get them buckled. I wish they'd make it just a *bit* bigger and give some better access to Row 3. Oh well, if wishes were fishes!

So the list is still the Odyssey and Sienna...

teekadog

My Mazda5 has 4 tethers, one in each rear seat. When we first started car shopping we didn't look very hard at the 5 because we are expecting baby #3 and couldn't figure on how to get a kid to climb into the tiny 3rd row and get buckled... Then when we test drove it and put our MA in it, I fell in love. I'd had test driven the Odyssey and the Sienna a couple times and was getting sick of actually climbing into back of the van to reach the kids to buckle them. With the small size of the 5, I was able to just stand outside the sliding door of the 5, lean in and easily buckle dd in her ff MA in the 3rd row, even with a rf MA right in front of it in the 2nd row. That sold it for me. So don't discount the Pilot yet, or anything else, until you try it out.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
The Ody works well for us, because the kid(s) in the back row are the ones who can buckle themselves. The Pilot didn't work nearly as well, because access to the 3rd row was extremely difficult with CRs installed in the 2nd row. Third row passengers either had to climb over the 2nd row or climb in through the back hatch. Also, leg room in the 3rd row is extremely limited.

If you're considering the Mazda 5, check out this thread first.

I definitely agree with the suggestion to try before you buy. Sometimes vehicles that appear to be very similar on paper are actually quite different when you actually climb into them.

mom2many

Hmmm...leg room is another biggie...our eldest has extremely long legs. At 4, she's the height of most 6-7 y/o's.

The other concern is those in the back won't be able to buckle themselves. Our 2nd oldest has some pretty significant muscle issues and can't manage the buckle. So I do have to have decent access.

Interesting thread on the Mazda 5...have to think about it. I'm concerned, though, since DH are really tall too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC