Got our Blaze ProSport! With pics and a question!

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
We scored a Blaze ProSport and it arrived today! :love:

3 yrs 9 months, 35 pounds, 40":

(sorry for the iPod pics, I couldn't find my regular camera until the end)

3cfca36b.jpg

This is on the lowest setting, I moved him up to the 2nd click.

And all the way up:

e9c646c1.jpg

Checking the booster fit in the car, it was great! Lower than it looks - he was complaining about being there- hence why he's not a booster rider to begin with. :D
6db02d1f.jpg

And installed (in my 98 Honda CRV), making faces was the only way he would cooperate. :)
6-14-12013.jpg

I have one concern though - the open belt path puts the shoulder belt DIRECTLY over the harness opening for the right side harness:

6-14-12004.jpg

6-14-12002.jpg

Is there anything I can do? If I move it up a click, it puts them WAY above his shoulders and his head is completely out of the headwings. I can't put it in the middle (with the lap belt) because there isn't a tether for the center seating position. :thumbsdown:

It's going to go in DH's car full time anyway, and his car is lap only in the center and does have a tether so it's not a huge deal, but I was planning on using it in my car for a couple weeks just to get a feel for it.

Last edited:
ADS

Pixels

Recaro says that having the shoulder belt over the harness like that is fine.

I don't like the lap belt fit in booster mode. Too high.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Recaro says that having the shoulder belt over the harness like that is fine.

I don't like the lap belt fit in booster mode. Too high.

Interesting, thanks!

The picture is pretty deceiving - he was mad at me for taking pictures and trying to unbuckle, it's actually nice and low... no matter since he's not a booster rider anyway (and man, threading the belt is fairly annoying anyway - I doubt I'll ever use it in booster mode!).

Pixels

You added another picture since my first reply. I think the harness on that side would be better routed under the shoulder belt rather than over.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
You added another picture since my first reply. I think the harness on that side would be better routed under the shoulder belt rather than over.

Yeah sorry I found my camera so I added some better pics ... I don't think I could even do that though - you'd have to unthread the harness, thread the shoulder belt, and then rethread the harness all while partially installed?

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
Since I wouldn't buy you one you got one on your own huh? LOL!

Why does Sam look so much better in it than Ben? Maybe because he is taller.... I love the fit on Sam!
What harness height is he on?
I'm still trying to love this seat.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Since I wouldn't buy you one you got one on your own huh? LOL!

Why does Sam look so much better in it than Ben? Maybe because he is taller.... I love the fit on Sam!
What harness height is he on?
I'm still trying to love this seat.

I convinced DH haha! Since you left me hanging and all! :p

He's on the second harness slot still, with maybe 1/2 inch of torso growth before he needs the next one? I like it so far, except where the seat belt is sitting. I'm not in love with the open belt path.

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
I convinced DH haha! Since you left me hanging and all! :p

He's on the second harness slot still, with maybe 1/2 inch of torso growth before he needs the next one? I like it so far, except where the seat belt is sitting. I'm not in love with the open belt path.

that was the slot Ben needed in the house, but he needs the 3rd installed. I can't believe my car eats up that much height!!!! He doesn't exactly have a long torso either, when he was still riding in his RA50 over a week ago he was still using the 2nd harness slots for RFing! Grrrrrr! I'm going to have to play some more I think.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
that was the slot Ben needed in the house, but he needs the 3rd installed. I can't believe my car eats up that much height!!!! He doesn't exactly have a long torso either, when he was still riding in his RA50 over a week ago he was still using the 2nd harness slots for RFing! Grrrrrr! I'm going to have to play some more I think.

Here's another picture... maybe less room than I was thinking, actually:

6-14-12009.jpg

The next slots are really far up though, I wish they had added one more position so they were closer together!

jess71903

Ambassador
I have a PS and love it!

If I were you, I'd unhook that side of the harness and let the shoulder belt go on the other side of that side of the harness. Recaro has approved that too.

Did yours come with the butt pad? I use mine when I first move up to the next slot to boost him up a bit, then quit using it when I feel like it's not SO far above anymore. It doesn't make a huge difference, but it does help a bit.

scariestone

The straps look nice and far apart or is that just an illusion because the covers are so large? I hated the FR85 because the dang straps were so close together that it was leaving horrible red marks on DS's neck when he was only 2.5. This is the seat though that if you have a larger kid you can run out of harness right?

Marvin711

I'm thinking I need to try one of these out! He looks to have miles of room before he outgrows harness. We need another harness to booster combi seat! I really like the overall look of this seat.

jess71903

Ambassador
The straps look nice and far apart or is that just an illusion because the covers are so large? I hated the FR85 because the dang straps were so close together that it was leaving horrible red marks on DS's neck when he was only 2.5. This is the seat though that if you have a larger kid you can run out of harness right?

I don't know how it compares to the Frontier as far as harness width goes. The strap covers are nice and big, though, and DS has never had any problem with red marks.

There was a problem with harness length, but they fixed it. You can get a longer harness for older seats, but I think the newer ones come with it.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Did yours come with the butt pad? I use mine when I first move up to the next slot to boost him up a bit, then quit using it when I feel like it's not SO far above anymore. It doesn't make a huge difference, but it does help a bit.

It did come with a butt pad - I didn't even try him with it because I figured he didn't need it. I always pull inserts out right away haha. Well, since my kid was like 2+. I might try that though! I flipped it to unreclined mode and that gave him even more room under the 2nd harness slot... gotta love my small torso kid haha.

I think they're pretty far apart! His other main seat is a Frontier and we don't have any issues with it at all though ... here's a recent pic of him in the Frontier, I guess maybe they are a tad closer together?

c7251acaacbc11e1b2fe1231380205bf_7.jpg

I'm thinking I need to try one of these out! He looks to have miles of room before he outgrows harness. We need another harness to booster combi seat! I really like the overall look of this seat.

I like it a lot so far! My only complaint (and this is so lame haha) is the lack of a cupholder. He *always* wants water in the car and it's annoying that he'll throw it on the seat next to him and then can't reach it, or want to hand it back and forth to me. There is a little mesh pocket on each side, but it's not big enough for even the small cups we have.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
For anyone else who is curious, I emailed Recaro with a photo of the shoulder belt covers the harness slot and they sent this response:

The engineer doesn’t see any issue or problem with your pictures. However, you can consider using a locking clip to secure the belt allowing the shoulder portion to lay loose against the harness strap. Make sure the harness is at or above your child’s shoulder.

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
I would have to use a locking clip anyway since my stupid latch plates don't work (grrrr) I played with it a little bit today and I did get more harness height when I installed with the seat belt instead of latch, and when I took out the padding that made the harness a smidge below when using the 2nd slot. So I just re-installed with Latch and put it with the 3rd with the extra padding. I think when he grows just a bit more it will look better.

T4K

EmmaCPST said:
I like it a lot so far! My only complaint (and this is so lame haha) is the lack of a cupholder. He *always* wants water in the car and it's annoying that he'll throw it on the seat next to him and then can't reach it, or want to hand it back and forth to me. There is a little mesh pocket on each side, but it's not big enough for even the small cups we have.

Just install a MyRide rearfacing next to him. :cool:

ETA: Forward facing would probably be easier but that's our set up and it's nice!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC