Question Which carseat for 3 yo and 10 mo RFing? Accident replacement, need ASAP

trinalb

We need to replace our SK Radian XTs after an accident. I am just curious if we are still best off to go with Diono RXTs or if there is a better option for us. I want to continue RFing both kids as long as possible. Is there such a thing as a seat that RFs and then works as a booster (without the infant stage) that might work better for bigger kids? DS is 3y8m and around 39 inches and 39 lbs. DD is nearly 11 months and around 28 inches and 23-24 lbs. We're in Canada.

Also, does the new RXT have the exact same footprint/height as the old SK version or are there any differences? Are the covers completely interchangeable?

Would also love if someone could point me to a picture thread of the new RXT colors as I've searched and haven't had any luck. I would like to see if the colors are as crazy bright as they appear on the Diono website or seem a little toned down in others' photos ;)

Thanks!

ADS

Brianna

RXTs are your best bet if you would like to RF as long as possible. I believe the XT covers will fit on the RXTs. There's a slightly different shape of the Diono seat due to the booster mode and hip area that slides out. Which colors are you looking at?

Usually the Diono Radians don't make a good booster, and won't last long as a booster. Just plan on buying a dedicated booster down the road.

trinalb

RXTs are your best bet if you would like to RF as long as possible. I believe the XT covers will fit on the RXTs. There's a slightly different shape of the Diono seat due to the booster mode and hip area that slides out. Which colors are you looking at?

Usually the Diono Radians don't make a good booster, and won't last long as a booster. Just plan on buying a dedicated booster down the road.

Thank you! Our SKs are Bentley (tan/brown) and Flora (green floral). If the covers aren't compatible enough we would probably just go for the same basic patterns (Rugby and Spring) but I wouldn't mind getting other colors if we can interchange the seats. DS says he just wants brown again but I think he is just used to it and doesn't want to change. I think he would love the blue (Cobalt) if we actually got it. For DD I am considering the purple but don't love it so I might just stick with Spring and try to sell the extra cover or just keep it as a back up. When I showed DS the photos his first reaction was, "But it doesn't have a sun!" I'm a little bummed about that, too! The sun is so much cuter than the ugly read Diono lettering :rolleyes:.

I know when I chose the covers we currently have that I had decided against the nylon mesh based on some things I had read about it being difficult to keep clean and leaving patterned marks on tender skin. Any input on that or any of the current patterns? I tend to be ridiculously indecisive and any help is appreciated! :D

CuddlyMonsters

We have the Purple RXT and the material is nice and soft. My DS and DD have both ridden in it without complaint.

My 9 month old DD is RF in a Peg Perego Convertible and I love the fabric on it. It is nice and soft but yet breathable. Technically my 3 year old DS could still ride RF in that seat.

Boosters are relatively cheap, so we will cross that bridge when it comes to it. Most seats are good in one area but not the best in another. IE the RXT is not the best booster out there as people have issues with the wings...

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
In Canada, your only option to continue to RF your son is a Radian (either RXT or R120 - headwings or no headwings). We don't have the Peg infant/child seat yet, and the Foonf isn't out. So if you want to RF him, get a Radian. At his age I would be totally comfortable FF him. There are only a couple of FF harness-to-booster seats I like, so if that's at all on your radar, let us know.

The Diono seats are about an inch wider but I don't remember if that's the whole base or what. Do you have a tight spot to fit into?

Honestly - if you love your Radians and want to keep them both RF, they're your only real option. If you wanted something different for your younger child you do have a bit more choice there.

Spring is lovely (almost the same as Flora in print, same type of fabric). Plum is gorgeous in person, and the same type of fabric as well. I think they got rid of the mesh covers? But I could be imagining that. Do you have somewhere local to buy from, or will you need to order? Snugglebugz.ca is a great place to order from. http://www.snugglebugz.ca/radian-rxt.html

Nimommyof2

I have the plum carseat for my daughter she loves it, the fabric does feel soft. I also have the R100 which is nice as well but only Rf to 40lbs.

trinalb

In Canada, your only option to continue to RF your son is a Radian (either RXT or R120 - headwings or no headwings). We don't have the Peg infant/child seat yet, and the Foonf isn't out. So if you want to RF him, get a Radian. At his age I would be totally comfortable FF him. There are only a couple of FF harness-to-booster seats I like, so if that's at all on your radar, let us know.

The Diono seats are about an inch wider but I don't remember if that's the whole base or what. Do you have a tight spot to fit into?

Honestly - if you love your Radians and want to keep them both RF, they're your only real option. If you wanted something different for your younger child you do have a bit more choice there.

Spring is lovely (almost the same as Flora in print, same type of fabric). Plum is gorgeous in person, and the same type of fabric as well. I think they got rid of the mesh covers? But I could be imagining that. Do you have somewhere local to buy from, or will you need to order? Snugglebugz.ca is a great place to order from. http://www.snugglebugz.ca/radian-rxt.html

Do the Radians not work well as a FF harness or something? I kind of got the impression you are trying to steer me away from it; maybe my imagination? I am very much a maximum safety person so I would like to keep both kids RFing for as long as possible. The Radians have been a bit if a pain to install but we've been happy with them otherwise.

I wouldn't say our space is super tight but there's not a huge abundance of extra room, either, IYKWIM. Currently DD is centre back (2nd row) and DS passenger side outboard in our 2001 Nissan Pathfinder.

Do you know if the old covers fit the new seats well? Just wondering if I can expect to use them as secondary covers or if I should get our first pattern choices (Spring and Rugby) duplicated rather than get different patterns. The blue says "micro-denier nylon and mesh"; is that different than the old seats? How does it compare?

I can't see them in person and will likely order from SnuggleBugz as long as they have the patterns I want in stock; I have been happy with their service before. Any recommendations for or against other Canadian retailers that carry Radians?

Thanks for all the help!

amyd

The Radians are fine FFing seats. My older son uses his FFing now. I think what Pixelated was getting at was that most of us wouldn't necessarily choose one if we were just going right to FFing though since the booster aspect is essentially useless to most children. If you want to continue to RF him, that's great. A Radian is your only option. It will be fine as a FFing seat as well.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The Radians are fine FFing seats. My older son uses his FFing now. I think what Pixelated was getting at was that most of us wouldn't necessarily choose one if we were just going right to FFing though since the booster aspect is essentially useless to most children. If you want to continue to RF him, that's great. A Radian is your only option. It will be fine as a FFing seat as well.

Sorry, that is exactly what I was meaning. I really like the Radian FF for my daughter, but if I was buying one right now to FF her, I would get something else that would last into booster time. The Radian doesn't make a very long-lasting booster, and for some not a well-fitting one either.

I'm sorry I don't know specifics of fabrics but on the Snugglebugz page the red and blue look a bit shiny so I suspect they're some other material than the Flora-type you're used to.

Once you do switch your son FF, put him in the centre. Even though he's older, he's less protected while FF and if you can, give him the most protected spot.

I have only ordered from Snugglebugz; they typically have good stock of things. Where are you? There might be something else closer, but I've only had good experiences there. I've heard TJs is very hit or miss though (Vancouver/Victoria).

trinalb

I believe the Canadian XT model was identical to the American XTSL. If that's true, then your XT model covers will fit on the RXT. Here's a thread http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=202235

Thank you!!! :)

Once you do switch your son FF, put him in the centre. Even though he's older, he's less protected while FF and if you can, give him the most protected spot.

I have only ordered from Snugglebugz; they typically have good stock of things. Where are you? There might be something else closer, but I've only had good experiences there. I've heard TJs is very hit or miss though (Vancouver/Victoria).

Thanks for the reminder to switch DS centre when we FF! It will likely be awhile but hopefully I will remember when we do.

I am in northern B.C. What is hit and miss with TJ's; the service? I was considering using them as well. Last I checked SnuggleBugz didn't have any of the Cobalt blue in stock. Maybe Jamtots service? What about DearBornBaby?

amyd

I've had a good experience with DearBorn, although I know others have not. I ordered a seat from Junior Baby as well and have no complaints with that transaction either.

canadiangie

I had a few good experiences with Dearborn, until I had a really bad one. Haven't been back since.

I try to shop locally (Lily Moss Baby in Calgary is my new fave), but if online shopping works better for me I'll only shop snugglebugz. :)

trinalb

I have nothing local to me that sells carseat besides Walmart. There is a store 45 minutes away that sells Diono seats but they are out if stock with nothing expected until the end if the month. I would rather stick within my province if I can (B.C.) but will go with SnuggleBugz if others are unreliable. I need quick shipping!

Has anyone used Active Baby, Jamtots or TJ's? I got DS's XT from AB but I don't remember how long it took.

Alison's Mom

I'm in Vancouver so have shopped at TJs in store, but haven't ordered online. I liked the salesperson when I bought Dd's infant bucket there 8(!) years ago, but had one strange-ish experience there since, and I know some people that don't like them. I would shop there again.

Mingie

CPST Instructor
I've shopped online with Jamtots and had no issues. I've never purchased a car seat from them but they had fast shipping. I recently ordered a seat from Snugglebugz though and I'm on Vancouver Island. It was here in just a few days. And the shipping was free.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

SynEpona

Even if I was living in BC again, I'd still buy from Snugglebugz -- they're the sponsor of this section of the forum, they've got great service, and speedy shipping! I ordered a seat during the postal strike and got it in one business day I think. It was basically 'next day' shipping, incredibly fast (and they used FedEx since CPost was not an option).

Of the seats in our collection, 3 of the last 4 we've bought have been from Snugglebugz. Very happy with each transaction, and will be ordering angle adjusters shortly, as DD is nearly 12mths.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC