Question Coccoro RF height limit or 1" rule?

gigi

What do you go by and why?

Does anyone have a written statement from Combi about disregarding the stated height limit in favor of 1" rule?

Last edited:
ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
IIRC, the Coccoro manual (at least the original one) didn't actually refer to the 1" rule.

I asked the Combi CPST about it when she said to just follow the 1-inch rule. I'm sure I have it in an email from her, but I don't know if it was ever posted somewhere publicly.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
1". I don't even know the stated height, and I own and use a Coccoro. If she has more than 1" of shell her head will be contained and safe.

Wendy

canadiangie

What is the length limit? I just assumed it was 1".

Personally I prefer more than 1" of shell.. more like 2-3".

I'm curious about the CCO's limit. It is such a short seat for a convertible..

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
My long-torsoed daughter outgrew the seat by the 1" rule before she was 36", so I didn't need to worry about making a parental decision. Based on my conversations with the rep, I would have used it beyond 36" if there was still room.

I actually prefer to have more than an inch of room (at least 2), but I used the Coccoro until DD had an inch specifically because I used the European routing because it would reduce downward rotation. In fact, when I didn't see mention of the 1" rule in the manual, I secretly hoped that meant you could use the seat even beyond 1" like a lot of European seats, but alas, no.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
It would be a pretty short-torsoed 36" child that would still have an inch :) My kiddo outgrew it at 34".

Brigala

CPST Instructor
My long-torsoed daughter outgrew the seat by the 1" rule before she was 36", so I didn't need to worry about making a parental decision. Based on my conversations with the rep, I would have used it beyond 36" if there was still room.

I actually prefer to have more than an inch of room (at least 2), but I used the Coccoro until DD had an inch specifically because I used the European routing because it would reduce downward rotation. In fact, when I didn't see mention of the 1" rule in the manual, I secretly hoped that meant you could use the seat even beyond 1" like a lot of European seats, but alas, no.

:yeahthatsad: - Could have written this post myself.

gigi

I believe my child will still have room in this seat at 36". She is currently 12 months, is 31" and has about 4" above her head in the T35. I need to replace the T35 soon (height limit is 32") and I'd like this seat, but not if I have to stop using it when she hits 36". Interesting point about the euro routing and downward rotation...that makes me feel better about it.

Perhaps I should call Combi and ask, but I never know if the people that answer the phones know what they are talking about.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I wouldn't stop using a T35 at 32" if a child had four inches above their head. You probably have six months left. Nor would I stop using the Coccoro at 36" if Laine had more than 1" above her head.

Wendy

gigi

My T35 manual has a bolded, all caps MUST in the section describing size limits - "child MUST be under 32 inches". I feel like if it weren't important they wouldn't have been so adament about it.

SeattleRain

Well they're bolding it because they don't want you to put your 35lb 7 year old in it and call it a day. Unless your 7 year old is the size of an 18 month old.

April

1". I don't even know the stated height, and I own and use a Coccoro. If she has more than 1" of shell her head will be contained and safe.

Wendy

:yeahthat:

I don't have the slightest idea what gracies overall height is.
Posted via Mobile Device

djma

I wouldn't stop using a T35 at 32" if a child had four inches above their head. You probably have six months left. Nor would I stop using the Coccoro at 36" if Laine had more than 1" above her head.

Wendy

My T35 manual has a bolded, all caps MUST in the section describing size limits - "child MUST be under 32 inches". I feel like if it weren't important they wouldn't have been so adament about it.

Sounds like the Graco Size4Me70 issue. We have people discounting it as a seat because of the stated rf height limit, but people saying you just need 1" above their head. Why is it so different for infant seats vs. convertibles??

Wendy - as a parent, would you use the new graco convertible past the 40" rf limit?

Not being snarky, hope it's not coming across that way, just really confused as to why there seems to be 2 completely different opinions for infant seats vs. convertibles.

gigi

SeattleRain said:
Well they're bolding it because they don't want you to put your 35lb 7 year old in it and call it a day. Unless your 7 year old is the size of an 18 month old.

IMO if that were the case, they could have gone with the 1" rule in bold, added an age limit, or used a different height limit. They must have stated it for a reason and they selected that height specifically.

I mean, why is it okay to disregard the manual here but not in other ways (say by adding thin aftermarket harness covers or the very thin, new style bundle mes)? Both of those options *seem* safe to me, but it wasn't tested that way and graco says no...so I wouldn't do it.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
djma said:
Not being snarky, hope it's not coming across that way, just really confused as to why there seems to be 2 completely different opinions for infant seats vs. convertibles.

For most people it's not an infant seat vs convertible issue. It's a matter of who believes what.

If a manufacturer is adamant that a seat not be used beyond a certain height, as a tech, I let people know that. I also let people know whether a company rep has stated that the seat can be used beyond that, knowing that manuals are written to the lowest common denominator, and they often have to dumb things down.

Dmcj13

As a parent and a tech I do feel comfortable using all of those seats above the stated limit, if there is oodles of room above the kiddo's head. If my kid is 42" and has six inches above their head, it makes absolutely no sense to stop using the seat, however I might discontinue use if there was only 1.5" of shell. As a tech dealing with other parents I let them make the call.

ETA: I'm pretty sure I will be buying a Size 4 Me when they get new colors, height limit and all, so the limit wont stop me from buying a seat either.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Wendy - as a parent, would you use the new graco convertible past the 40" rf limit?

I absolutely would. I couldn't tell you the height limit on any seat I own because I firmly believe it really doesn't matter. Seatbelt geometry (boosters) and torso height (harnessed seats) is simply just more important.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC