Display seat

lovemy2kidstw

I'm in toys r us & they have a maestro display seat in Henderson pattern on sale for $50. Is it safe for them to sell it & should I say something?

ADS

aschofield

There is no way *I* would ever buy a display seat, but I'm sure there isn't any legal reason why they can't sell it assuming it isn't obviously damaged.

hope41more

aschofield said:
There is no way *I* would ever buy a display seat, but I'm sure there isn't any legal reason why they can't sell it assuming it isn't obviously damaged.

What if someone dropped it? In and out of cars, thrown on the pavement.... I'm not buying it. Only those that wouldn't know about carseat safety would buy it, at which point they ate taking advantage of them and putting their kids at risk. Perhaps you could say something to the manager? Maybe SHE isn't schooled in carseat safety, and wouldn't list it for sale if she DID know about it?

desisue0131

I know someone who drives truck for Walmart. The way things get treated during shipping to the store would make you cry. Most stores dont even let those seats off the shelf. Maybe babies r us does but but my local walmart wire ties them down to the shelf.

jacqui276

A lot of the stores here have the seats tied down to shelves (although our BRU does not). I have bought 2 display seats that were up on shelves and tied to the shelf so honestly didn't have any issues with it and don't regret it (one from Walmart and another from Zellers). I don't think that having bought those seats means that I know nothing about car seat safety. :rolleyes: If they are ones that come down for people to toss around and play with, I may be a bit more nervous about it.
I have seen TONS of display seats for sale here when the seat or pattern is being discontinued so I doubt that it is illegal or anything to sell them. I would inspect the seat quite thoroughly before purchasing it though.

hope41more

jacqui276 said:
A lot of the stores here have the seats tied down to shelves (although our BRU does not). I have bought 2 display seats that were up on shelves and tied to the shelf so honestly didn't have any issues with it and don't regret it (one from Walmart and another from Zellers). I don't think that having bought those seats means that I know nothing about car seat safety. :rolleyes: If they are ones that come down for people to toss around and play with, I may be a bit more nervous about it.
I have seen TONS of display seats for sale here when the seat or pattern is being discontinued so I doubt that it is illegal or anything to sell them. I would inspect the seat quite thoroughly before purchasing it though.

Sorry, I didn't mean that you didn't know about car seat safety. I meant buying the ones at bru, which aren't hied down, get tried in several cars, and maybe tossed on the pavement in frustration, probably shouldn't be sold. I would totally consider one from a store that does not allow people to handle the seats (like target). Sorry if My earlier post came of snooty.

lovemy2kidstw

Well I didn't say anything because I was in a hurry. I just remember another thread where CPST's have asked about display seats & the stores wouldn't sell them to a CPST to use for training purposes. They said they had to send them back to the manufacturer to be destroyed. If that is the case then why would it be ok for them to sell them to the average person for daily use? I wouldn't buy one personally. When I first saw it I thought maybe it was just an open box return, but it had the 'price as marked' display sticker on it. Like all of the other display seats.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Different stores have different policies. I'm sure a store that sells floor models would be happy to sell it to a CPST if it were available for sale. Some stores have seats MARKED as display-only, and they can't sell those.

I would buy a floor model as long as it had all its parts, didn't appear to have damage, and still had the registration cards attached in good/excellent condition. But that's just me.

jacqui276

Interestingly enough, for the first time after reading this post, I saw some car seats at Walmart marked as "display only, not for sale". They were tied down as well. Things must have changed there since I bought my display seat (and stroller) there 8 1/2 years ago.

Kobain's Mommy

I believe someone on here that has works/ed for BRU/TRU said they get a shipment in, take one out of it's box and put it on the shelf for display.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC