What do you do for motion sickness??

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Apparently Kaylee gets car sick regardless of what direction she is facing. Up until now, it was only rf'ing, of course, that is how she has ridden for the most part. We switched to FF about a month or so ago in anticipation of our cross country drive and she never puked regardless of distance. She did fine on the drive out (Oklahoma to California over 2.5 days), but on the way back, she got sick. And I'm pretty sure it was motion sickness as she was fine when we'd take her out of the car, and nobody else got sick. So when I had to change the cover on her seat, I installed it rf'ing. She continued getting sick, but she was much easier to deal with since I was facing her (I was in the same row). We ended up giving her adult dramamine (split into smaller dose per the instructions), and she quit puking. We gave it to her every few hours for the remainder of our trip and it worked. My question is, if you have to give your child meds, what do you give? How long of a drive before you give meds? I don't like to give meds, but I don't want her miserable in the car either. 20min seems to be her magic number. Rides shorter than that, she does fine. But if she is going to be in the car for 20min, she pukes. Problem is, we are 20min from EVERYTHING except daycare. That is only a 5min drive. I don't want to have to get her meds anytime we have to go to town. :(

ADS

MommyShannon

This thread had some interesting info about possible allergies causing car sickness. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=223995
The biggest thing for DD2 is cool air on her face. I haven't had to go the medicine route since she has gotten a lot better since turning 2. I'm starting to wonder if her ears were part of it though. She has always been healthy and never had an ear infection until almost 2. At that time though she had a ton of wax build up they removed and treated an ear infection. It's possible she didn't have great drainage prior and a little fluid making it worse all along.

mam521

Have you thought about static belts for the car?

For my son, I had to remove the headrest so he could see out the back window. After that he was fine.

babyherder

I'm more likely to get carsick on an empty stomach. If we're going on a long ride I always make sure to have a snack like crackers or pretzels. If I start to feel motion sick, I eat and it generally helps.

I always get motion sick when the vehicle starts and stops frequently and/or abruptly. Stop and start as gradually and gently as you can.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC