Help me understand backless booster safety...

diaperjoys

Years ago when I was on this board it was often said that each "step up" in car seats (rf to ff, harness to hbb, hbb to lbb) was a substantial "step down" in safety. That stuck with me, and now, as we're getting ready for a month long trip, I have the creeps about letting my boys use backless boosters - but logistically, I don't see how to get the backs of three high back boosters into our luggage.

Anyway, please do educate me - are backless boosters still considered substantially less safe than a high back? The easiest thing would be to outfit the boys with LiteRiders, but I'm not sure that is a wise/safe decision.

Our boys will be newly 9yo, almost 8yo, and 6.5yo at the time of our trip, and they all use high back boosters here at home. We're flying across the states, then hanging out at the grandparents for nearly a month. The vehicle we'll be using there is an '01 Odyssey, if that makes any difference - no high tech side air bags.

Thanks!

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
There are conflicting studies out of CHOP (I think): the newer study shows that there is no safety difference between backless and high back boosters. I have concerns about that study design in that they didn't differentiate between dedicated boosters and the many questionable combination seats used as boosters. I can certainly believe that a Harmony Literider is "safer" than an Alpha Omega in booster mode, but have a harder time wrapping my mind around the idea that a Vivo (for instance) does not provide any advantage over that Literider.

Blabbering aside, I would have absolutely no qualms about physically and developmentally typical 8/9yos in backless boosters, and would probably be fine with a well-behaved 6yo in one as well.

Lemonade

My tech class, which was a month ago, was taught by some CHOP staff. They did tell us that HBBs provided more protection. When looking at the crash videos I was stunned at how much the booster, LBB or HBB, did. For an average sized 8/9 year old I would definitely think a LBB would be fine. And probably the 6 yr old too. I have a very small 6 yr old so my point of reference is just off for that age group. Another packable option in a ride safer travel vest - not sure if that would be something to consider. Packs even smaller than a LBB.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC