Sigh... What would you do?

kat216

Long time lurker, first time poster. :) Thanks to this forum I am completely sold on carseat safety and ERF, but I'm not sure what to do about a sticky situation.

My SIL has a history of carseat misuse--I've given her info fromcar-seat.org before, but she basically ignored me. However, this recent development just takes the cake... She posted a photo on Facebook of her 4 YO daughter in a Frontier, with the harness so loose you could even see one of the straps because it was so far down her arm, and the buckle way down by her belly. Meanwhile, her 13 MO boy is of course already FF with loose straps so twisted I don't even understand how my SIL would think that's okay! I am so scared for those kids, but I'm afraid my SIL will either blow me off again or just think I'm being a judgey witch... :( What would you do?

ADS

monstah

Are you friends with her on Facebook? I might post a link or video on there but not directed toward her. Maybe one this week and another one two weeks from now, etc. Let her do what she will with the info but I wouldn't single her out.

When I first started spreading the word about ERF, etc. I ended up with a SIL who didn't speak to me again for a full year. No exaggeration. And we had a good relationship before I sent her an email or two. :eek: So tread carefully!

jnamommy

Unfortunately, sometimes you can't do any more. You can mention it to people once or twice, but if they are not receptive, you can't force them to listen. And then you have to decide how much you are going to let it bother you.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Welcome to CSO. :D You will become obsessed like the rest of us in no time. :p

Some people just don't and won't get it- no matter how many times you try.

Mugsmom

:yeahthatsad:

Our good friends have 2 kids. They turned their first child forward facing after a year old because he was "lonely". They told me I'm just being overly cautious by ERF and I might as well put my kids in a bubble. The dad also told me that booster seats just exist for Graco to make money. Funny thing is, I've never even brought up proper (or improper) carseat use with them. They're just not keen on wanting to do ANY research on it other than skimming the manual. They believe what they believe and refuse to think otherwise.

opaque1997

Sigh - I feel for you - I was just coming to vent because I'm sooooo tired of people feeling the need to fight with me over things. Case in point - old friend posts on fb - hey LO is 10 months but built like a line backer -I think I'm going to get him out of his infant seat and put him ff (I think in her mind that was the only option). I post - hey AAP recomends 2 years old - if he is out of his infant seat you can get a convertible that does both! - She tells me his legs would be squished. I respond with links to pics - but also state - its a parental decision.

Then today (this was months ago) - I posted on babycheapskate wall because someone was asking about an after market product. I stated I"ll check with some techs but I believe that may be unsafe - she (original she above) chimes in with - come on - it doesn't go under the straps - and see this link here (which ironically talks about not doing this exact thing - sigh) states padding is just fine and some seats already have it - etc 1) stay out of it - and 2) get educated.

I think some people want to do what they want to do and they get overly defensive when you disagree with strong evidence.

CrazyBoysMamma

If you live near your SIL maybe you can find a seat check event and invite her to go with you? I have finally convinced my SIL to go to an event because she needs a new seat and I'm working an event that involves free stuff...:rolleyes: Aaaannnnndddd I'll refrain from further comment, I'm just happy my niece and nephew will be safer in the car.

Simplysomething

I don't know. The most concerning thing are the loose straps. I wonder how she thinks the seat works. But, sadly you'll eventually learn that some people don't want to hear any different, no matter the intention. I've stopped looking in cars of family.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC