Local child falls from truck, dies

bnsnyde

An 11-year-old was killed nearby after falling out of a truck. No details yet.

So sick that this was allowed to happen.

It shows the need for restraints at all times, and I don't know the whole story.
Due to his age maybe it's not a carseat story (maybe he 5 stepped), but OK, a restraint issue, at the least.

I just have a bad feeling about the circumstances that could lead to this.
And yesterday a toddler was run over in her drive (MI, I think?) in a backup situation, so I'm really pushing for backup cameras!

ADS

MonkeysMom615

It frustrates me SO MUCH that riding in the bed of trucks is LEGAL here (so long as all the seats in the cab are occupied). I see it all the time and even though it's not "legal" to do it on the highway you see it all the time and nobody ever pulls them over. :( I don't know how many more kids and adults have to be injured or killed before they finally over turn that law.

That poor kiddo. :(

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Was he maybe riding in the truck bed? So dangerous, yet it's allowed where I live. :( It used to not be allowed I believe and then something changed in the last couple years to allow it in certain circumstances. So now I see people all the time with their kids loose in the back at the lake. And in the boats they are towing. The kids sit in the boat seats while the boat is being towed from the campground to the dock. :thumbsdown:

MommyShannon

So sad. I wouldn't call it a freak accident though. He wasn't buckled in and he hung out the window to some point to fall. It's an avoidable tragedy.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
OMG how horrific. DD just started using a booster and I've started drilling into her head that she is never to unbuckle unless the driver says it's okay to do so. Looks like I should be reiterating this with my teen as well since she has a tendency to unbuckle as we're pulling up to stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I'm sorry, but I'd still call it a freak accident.

Of course the child shouldn't have been leaning out the window, but under the circumstances (car barely moving) MOST people (who aren't as obsessive about seat belts as we are on this board) wouldn't have thought twice about it. It's not like he was flailing out the window while his mom zipped down the street at 30 mph. He was trying to signal to get his sibling's attention.

Of course it's a good reminder that leaning out the car window is never a good idea. I've always enforced a strict "all body parts inside the vehicle at all times" rule myself, in addition to seat belts.

hedgefun

So sad :( Prayers for the family.

I would categorize it as an accident too, especially if the car was barely moving. According to a post I read on a non-car safety related site (riders4helmets), a fall from as little as 3 feet can cause brain injury and an impact around 4mph can fracture the skull. Of course I'm not a doctor or an expert, that's just something I read... but I was surprised at how little it would take to fracture the skull.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
According to a post I read on a non-car safety related site (riders4helmets), a fall from as little as 3 feet can cause brain injury and an impact around 4mph can fracture the skull. Of course I'm not a doctor or an expert, that's just something I read... but I was surprised at how little it would take to fracture the skull.

Do you have a link to that post? Was it an Equestrian site? http://www.riders4helmets.com I'd like to pass the info on to a long board rider I know...

hedgefun

bnsnyde

Wow, I didn't know the details. Very sad.

I notice nearly every car at school pull away with the kids NOT buckled. I usually see them buckle after the car is well, well on its way. Much past 5mph. Nearly every single car does this.

We don't budge until the kids are buckled. Am I in the minority or something? I was shocked. I know we're over the top obsessed with restraints to the max (like others here). :) But do people really just pull away w/o a buckle, and let their kids do that?

I feel the most dangerous part is merging out into the road from the school...

hedgefun

bnsnyde said:
We don't budge until the kids are buckled. Am I in the minority or something? I was shocked. I know we're over the top obsessed with restraints to the max (like others here). :) But do people really just pull away w/o a buckle, and let their kids do that?

It sounds like maybe he unbuckled while the vehicle was moving, so it could have happened in an instant before the driver had a chance to tell him to re-buckle.

But no, I don't pull away with people unbuckled.

jacqui276

That is really sad.. I couldn't imagine being that family and dealing with that loss.

According to a post I read on a non-car safety related site (riders4helmets), a fall from as little as 3 feet can cause brain injury and an impact around 4mph can fracture the skull. Of course I'm not a doctor or an expert, that's just something I read... but I was surprised at how little it would take to fracture the skull.

I agree, it is amazing how easily a skull can fracture. There was a child on a unit that I worked on that passed away due to a skull fracture/brain swelling from jumping on his bed and hitting the side of his head on a wall. I had another patient that had a skull fracture from falling off the back of the couch onto a hardwood floor and it was bad enough that he had a visible dent on his head where he hit it. I have a mini heart attack when I see my nephew leaping off furniture.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC