Help with special needs 11yo.

zactayaus

I am not special needs trained. On Saturday we had a mom of a special needs 11yo girl. The girl was not with her mom at the event but mom wanted her seat checked. The girl is 4'4" and weighs 55lbs. She is riding in a Columbia Medical Orthopedic seat. Model #2000. DOM 02/2008. Mom says she has plenty of room to grow in the seat but the problem is getting her in. The child basically has no muscle tone and she's very long and skinny and she can not help to get in the seat at all. They have been unbuckling her seat every time they need to take her some where, rotating the seat around so that they can just set her in the seat, rotating it back around and then installing while the child is in the seat. The seat is on the passenger side captains chair of a 2011 Toyota Sienna. They've tried 2 different vests but mom couldn't remember the name of them and mom said they didn't give her enough support. Any suggestions? Is there any type of special needs seat that can swivel for ease of getting a bigger child in the seat (similar to an orbit seat)? Any other suggestions would be welcome to. We have mom's info and would like to get back to her sometime this week.

ETA: If there is anyone in my area (NJ) that is special needs trained and would like to help that would be awesome or if someone knows of who I could get hold of in my area that could help please let me know.

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
There is a vehicle seat that swivels. You could install the car seat, then swivel the vehicle seat of boarding. I saw it at a car show, or something. Find a company in your area that does vehicle modifications for handicap people.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
What is the child's projected longterm weight weight gain? Even at 55#, she is getting heavy for transfer, and her family may want to consider wheelchair transport.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
What is the child's projected longterm weight weight gain? Even at 55#, she is getting heavy for transfer, and her family may want to consider wheelchair transport.

I was thinking the same thing. Does she have a wheelchair? How do they move her around at home, etc?

zactayaus

I was thinking the same thing. Does she have a wheelchair? How do they move her around at home, etc?

I'm not sure but I would assume she has a wheelchair. I really didn't know what questions to ask cause like I said I'm not special needs trained and we did not know she was coming to the seat check event. I have all of mom's contact info so I can ask her more specifics. I know she has 11 kids total, 2 are her own and the rest are either adopted or foster kids and most have special needs. In the van she also had a graco tb for her small 13 year old who has spina bifida, a ff scenara (not sure who that seat was for as another tech checked that one) and an SR22.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I'm not sure but I would assume she has a wheelchair. I really didn't know what questions to ask cause like I said I'm not special needs trained and we did not know she was coming to the seat check event. I have all of mom's contact info so I can ask her more specifics. I know she has 11 kids total, 2 are her own and the rest are either adopted or foster kids and most have special needs. In the van she also had a graco tb for her small 13 year old who has spina bifida, a ff scenara (not sure who that seat was for as another tech checked that one) and an SR22.

Honestly, with that many kids, and that many special needs kids, I'd try to connect her with an experienced special needs trained tech. Not that you won't be helpful for her :eek: but it sounds like there could be some possibilities for moving kids around, possibly other kids who need new/different seats, etc. that would be easier to visualize for a tech who has been trained in special needs.

zactayaus

Honestly, with that many kids, and that many special needs kids, I'd try to connect her with an experienced special needs trained tech. Not that you won't be helpful for her :eek: but it sounds like there could be some possibilities for moving kids around, possibly other kids who need new/different seats, etc. that would be easier to visualize for a tech who has been trained in special needs.

I 100% agree! I just need to find somebody.

S

SarJeanp

This is basically the main reason I just registered here today. I registered years ago when my daughter was an infant but couldn't remember the login. Kira will be 7 on the 4th and is completely hypotonic. It is SO difficult to get her in and out of the carseat. She is 39-40 pounds, about 41 inches and rear facing in a Britax Marathon. I need something with a lower profile. Husband thinks we need to turn her forward facing as her indian styled legs are pretty cramped. I say we cannot, since her head/neck are completely floppy, that would be all bad. That chair in that Mazda van would be SO perfect, but a new vehicle at this time is not within our means.

TyAndCheyMommy

Ok- with the turning seat there is one MAJOR thing to remember. You have to unbuckle the car seat each time in order for it to turn from the vehicle. The child you are talking about is already to heavy for LATCH- therefore the seat would need to be one that could easily be installed each time.
I actually would recommend a different style car seat- for example CONVAID just came out with one called the Carrot 3. There is a "five point harness" that is strictly for positioning the child. Then you utilize the vehicle seat belt just like a booster seat. That way you would not have to reach behind the and seat trying to install it properly each time.

Those turning seats are close to $6k depending on the type of vehicle.
With a family that large (I have one as well with multiple disabilities) the best thing that I have found is a small handicapped accessible bus.

bethng

The Spirit has swing away side supports and a low profile so it may be a seat you might want to look into. I just fitted a special needs child into it and it was a fantastic seat. A$1500+ though to you would need to look into getting an Rx for it and a letter of justification from your PT/Dr so see if DDS or medicaid will pay.

zactayaus

Ok- with the turning seat there is one MAJOR thing to remember. You have to unbuckle the car seat each time in order for it to turn from the vehicle. The child you are talking about is already to heavy for LATCH- therefore the seat would need to be one that could easily be installed each time.
I actually would recommend a different style car seat- for example CONVAID just came out with one called the Carrot 3. There is a "five point harness" that is strictly for positioning the child. Then you utilize the vehicle seat belt just like a booster seat. That way you would not have to reach behind the and seat trying to install it properly each time.

Those turning seats are close to $6k depending on the type of vehicle.
With a family that large (I have one as well with multiple disabilities) the best thing that I have found is a small handicapped accessible bus.

Thank you so much for posting about the Carrot 3. I have spoke with mom and sent her links on the seat and she is very excited and thinks that this will be exactly what they need for now. She is going to see if insurance will help cover the cost of the seat. I sure hope it does cause that's one expensive seat!

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
This is basically the main reason I just registered here today. I registered years ago when my daughter was an infant but couldn't remember the login. Kira will be 7 on the 4th and is completely hypotonic. It is SO difficult to get her in and out of the carseat. She is 39-40 pounds, about 41 inches and rear facing in a Britax Marathon. I need something with a lower profile. Husband thinks we need to turn her forward facing as her indian styled legs are pretty cramped. I say we cannot, since her head/neck are completely floppy, that would be all bad. That chair in that Mazda van would be SO perfect, but a new vehicle at this time is not within our means.

What model Marathon do you have? You are either rapidly approaching or already passed the rear-facing weight limit, so you do need to either forward-face her or get a different seat.

The Graco MyRide and Recaro ProRide have significant recline forward-facing, although both have fairly high sides so aren't all that easy to get kids in and out of.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC