OnBoard: US cover on Cdn seat?

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I did a check today for some expecting parents who mistakenly bought a US travel system before discovering they couldn't use an American seat in Canada. They re-bought the same seat in Canada, and to make the car seat match the stroller, swapped the covers. I suggested they call Dorel to ask if that was ok, but does anyone know? I didn't know if the padding in the cover would be any different.

And on another note - what a SUPER seat for tiny ones. I couldn't believe how low the bottom slot was, and with three crotch buckle positions!

ADS

tam_shops

I've also used American covers on my Canadian seats.

Not sure you are *aloud* w/ the Clek LBB though, thought Nicole said the approval stamps that usually appear on the shell of a seat are on the cover for the LBB for both the Canadian/American versions of the seat.

tam

aschofield

I asked britax once if I could use an american frontier cover on a canadian seat, they said it wasn't allowed, but didn't say if it would fit or not.

canadiangie

I asked britax once if I could use an american frontier cover on a canadian seat, they said it wasn't allowed, but didn't say if it would fit or not.

It might be because our airbag warning labels present in both English and French. US covers present with either English and Spanish, or just English. I'm fairly certain the dual language on our covers is part of compliance.

Personally I use US covers on my seats. It's the seat brat in me -- I can't resist the cuter patterns. But as a tech I would always suggest parents contact the manufacturer. What they do after that is up to them. During a clinic I would have no issue helping with a CMVSS seat dressed in a FMVSS outfit. I would just document things.

amyd

aschofield said:

They have to tell you that because in order for a seat to be in compliance with the standards it has to have all the labeling in English and French. The American covers have the warning labels in English and Spanish. They'll fit, though.

aschofield

They have to tell you that because in order for a seat to be in compliance with the standards it has to have all the labeling in English and French. The American covers have the warning labels in English and Spanish. They'll fit, though.

I thought that might be the reason, but then found out the money I thought I had to spend on a new cover, I didn't actually have, so I didn't push any further than that... Nice to know they do fit though, maybe for my birthday I'll be able to get one :)

tiggercat

I use American covers on my seats, so long as the foam is on the seat and not in the cover. However, I was once cautioned by an IT that different covers could be enough to make a marginal seat fail canadian testing (she gave a specific example, but I can't share without direct knowledge) so I am honestly not sure what to think.
Sam's RXT is currently wearing purple American clothes.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

snowbird25ca

I am aware of a seat or two which has had differences in the seat pad cover between the US and Canada and that could be the difference between passing and failing the compression/deflection testing in the head area.

I don't know if this is still the case or not though.

tam_shops

I thought I read that each Canadian cover needed to test the fabric separately, even if it's just a colour difference. I remember someone complaining about it and explaining that the differences in dye can affect the density of the fabric, so it is possible that there is some reasoning behind the requirement. And, it was further proven w/ some of the Graco boosters w/ the IIHS testing when the different patterns (fabric) actually tested differently.

But, I don't remember where/when/who that conversation took place, so no idea if there is any validity to the fact that the different covers (not to mention colours) are *actually* tested here, or not...Interesting if there is in fact any validity to any of it...

tam

snowbird25ca

I thought I read that each Canadian cover needed to test the fabric separately, even if it's just a colour difference. I remember someone complaining about it and explaining that the differences in dye can affect the density of the fabric, so it is possible that there is some reasoning behind the requirement. And, it was further proven w/ some of the Graco boosters w/ the IIHS testing when the different patterns (fabric) actually tested differently.

But, I don't remember where/when/who that conversation took place, so no idea if there is any validity to the fact that the different covers (not to mention colours) are *actually* tested here, or not...Interesting if there is in fact any validity to any of it...

tam

I am totally confused as to what you're saying. Fabric has to meet standards regarding flammability - I guess in that regard you could say that it all has to be tested individually. But a seat does not have to be crash tested with each cover separately meaning we get 4 covers while the US might have 12 or 16 covers. Covers have standards, but that is the same in the US.

The Canadian market so far as # of seats sold is in general smaller than the US and that is the reason why we don't get as wide a selection of covers as the US does. It could also be that retailers don't want as wide a selection of covers. Whenever a manufacturer is asked about cover variety, they always respond that it is determined by what retailers request.

There is no extra expense on it's own between making a pink cover and a blue cover - it's all about what they decide to do.

tam_shops

seat does not have to be crash tested with each cover separately

There is no extra expense on it's own between making a pink cover and a blue cover - it's all about what they decide to do.

Thanks Trudy, the fact that they were crash tested was exactly what I had read ages ago and always made me wonder, so great to know it's not true! Disagree w/ you on the cost difference between the pink vs blue cover b/c it would depend on the fabric used and there certainly could be cost differences between the types of fabric ie Onyx vs Rushmore, which even if it's a few cents/meter can add up quickly. As for colour, no there wouldn't be a cost difference between pink vs blue, but the dye for red and black costs more and needs more than the dye for other colours, and again a few cents/meter does add up quickly, multiplied by 100's or 1,000's and suddenly that affects production!

tam

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC