Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Thinking of a nautilus for "spare" seat

It's not quite spare, it's actually going to go into my DS's grandmothers car, and she drives him to school every morning (about a 5 min drive).

Currently we have a Nautilus in our car and a Britax Roundabout, he's pretty much outgrown the roundabout so we're looking to replace it.

Money is not an object, but in the same breath I don't want to spend more than I need for a "rarely used" seat. Was thinking the maestro (liked the weight of it given that we have to take a seat of some sort to Italy this summer) but then having put my DS in it he was already on the second to top slot (he's about 15" at torso) so was thinking it may not last very long.

Is the Nautilus a good second option, it's $140 at Target right now, so seems like a reasonable price, not TOO much more than the Maestro, and gives another 15lbs on weight limit (which given that DS is only about 32lbs now means he'll still be in the harness at 15!)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar
    If it's used every day to take him to school, I wouldn't say it's a "rarely used" seat. But yes, the Nautilus is a great choice.

How old is your son?

Re: Thinking of a nautilus for "spare" seat

Okay, yeah, not "rarely used" but "rarely used" for very long periods of time.

He's 4.

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar
    Yes, Nautilus sounds perfect then, and is probably what I would do myself. There are other options, too, but the Nautilus is easy to use and reasonably priced, so it's sort of hard to improve upon. It sounds like you're already familiar with it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by LISmama810 View Post
    There are other options, too, but the Nautilus is easy to use and reasonably priced
    That's kind of where I was ending up, every other option just seemed too expensive for the true "need" will probably swap the older nautilus

I like the nautilus but it's harness is about the same height as the Maestro. It just might make a better booster than the Maestro later. If he is only 32lbs, chances are he will be outgrowing the nautilus harness before 50lbs anyway.
    ETA: they have around 18" top slots so that last 3" could take a while. I still might choose the nautilus but wanted to point out they will last the same amount of time harnessed.
    ~Shannon
    DD (10) Incognito; DS (8) backless Parkway; DD2 (5) Graco Argos; DD3 (3) RF in Graco Headwise

CPS Technician

The maestro, securekid and nautilus all have about the same top slots. They are all about 18". So the maestro will last as long as a nautilus as long as it is not outgrown by weight first.

The maestro doesn't make a long lasting booster. The maestro can be found for under $80 then when we need a booster later the evenflo bigkid sport/amp or the graco turbo are $50 or less so that is cheaper then a nautilus. I would much rather travel with the maestro then the nautilus.
    Stefanie - CPST in Iowa
    mom to dd 11,/00, ds 11/01, ds 3/06, dd 04/07, dd 08/12 (radian rxt) ds 12/13 (evenflo sureride)

C~9/06 Boostered in FR85 Livia & Maui C~2/09 Boostered in GN Daisy & Julia
    Driving in 2005 Toyota Camry & 1994 Honda Accord