Question Help with MA install (lock offs)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
How hard should it be to close the lock offs? My thumb is super sore, it was really hard to close. I'm scared I'm going to bust it; that the belt will pop out and snap it. The 2nd one is easier, but still reasonably difficult to close, because the first is holding the seat in tight and I can press the seat down further without holding the belt tight like I need to do when closing the first.

I was thinking the belt should be looser than it is now, then the lock off would give it that last smidge of tightness. But if I do that, the seat is too loose. If I had a 2nd person, I could them to press the MA in, and then I wouldn't need to keep the belt super tight as I'm doing up the lock off (right now the belt is basically helping me keep the seat down tight). But DH is keeping the littles busy and TechnoTeen isn't home to help.

So it's good and tight, just scared that I'm going to bust a lock off.

Hopefully I haven't explained this too poorly....

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Also, I originally installed with a noodle and realized I was around 45-46* so I took the noodle out. The blue line is slightly past parallel, so according to Britax, that should be slightly more than 37.5*. My plumb bob app (calibrated to the plane of the vehicle) tells me the seat is anywhere from 35-37* depending where on the inside back I measure. So let's pretend it's only 35*, is that too upright for a 5.5 month old? Good head control; sits unassisted, rolls both ways, etc.

tiggercat

Assume you mean a new gen seat with the blue lock offs? They're a bear to close is the belt is tight. However, if you close them with the seat a bit tight, you can still pull the belt tight through them. Which also means they sometimes let the install loosen over time :/
Oh and the angle would be fine for one oft kiddos at that age.
Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Okay, I can try that. And yes, blue lock offs. As for the loosening over time, maybe I'm better off dealing with the tilt. The tilt bugs me though.

But if the lock off won't bust as it is now, then I've got them done up and everything is tight.

tiggercat

TechnoGranola said:
Okay, I can try that. And yes, blue lock offs. As for the loosening over time, maybe I'm better off dealing with the tilt. The tilt bugs me though.

But if the lock off won't bust as it is now, then I've got them done up and everything is tight.

If it's tight, I'd leave it and just check tightness once in a while. I've never seen/heard of this type popping open.
Another tip- when closing them, I use the palm of my hand to push it closed rather than my fingers.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Thanks. And I realized now I can get it in with the seatbelt and no tilting, but it's not tight enough. Once I get DH to tighten it more, it's the tightening of the belt around the latch plate that pulls the seat towards the latch plate, not the locked belt that does it. We probably need both of us so someone can press seat in straight while other tightens but I'm not leaving the baby in the house alone or sitting her up on the garage floor. LOL

tiggercat

TechnoGranola said:
Thanks. And I realized now I can get it in with the seatbelt and no tilting, but it's not tight enough. Once I get DH to tighten it more, it's the tightening of the belt around the latch plate that pulls the seat towards the latch plate, not the locked belt that does it. We probably need both of us so someone can press seat in straight while other tightens but I'm not leaving the baby in the house alone or sitting her up on the garage floor. LOL

Put her in a stroller? ;)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
tiggercat said:
Put her in a stroller? ;)

Ha ha, apparently I'm too tired to think of something that smart! ;)

DH said he likes the lock off install better anyway. It ends up being tighter than we can get with the belt alone in that position.

kirst

First and second lock off? I thought you only used the lock off closest to where the seatbelt buckles. Correct me if im wrong!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
First and second lock off? I thought you only used the lock off closest to where the seatbelt buckles. Correct me if im wrong!

Nope, you're not wrong. I was just coming here to laugh at myself for using both then later rereading the instructions and realizing I only needed one and having to redo it all. :p I was using two because I was used to it from the True Fit.

And can I say I wanted to throw this seat out the window. I ended up having to use the noodle as without it was slightly less inclined than the blue line which is looks just a little too upright for when she sleeps right now. DH cut the noodle shorter so it fit between the belt points better and it's just slightly more reclined than the blue line now.

Basically our centre seat with the seatbelt from ceiling that you create with a point in the seat, bites for seat installation. And I have no choice as the booster has to go outboard since they don't work in the centre. And this seat is little wider than what I really needed but I didn't have much choice as anything else was as wide or wider.

amyd

kirst said:

I thought this too. I may be getting that confused with the old Britaxes though.

amelia222

Why do you need to use the lockoff? Don't your belts lock? I seem to remember your vehicle looking newish when you posted pics the other day of the new seats.

amyd

amelia222 said:
Why do you need to use the lockoff? Don't your belts lock? I seem to remember your vehicle looking newish when you posted pics the other day of the new seats.

I think she was finding that the seat was tipping of she locked the belt.

cupcakepirate11

Technically you can use both lock offs it was in the original ma 70 manual that I have they only recently changed it.

As for the lock off there is a trick to shutting it, run your finger down one side pressing on the corner. I saw it in the britax installation video, changed my life! Well not really but made my finger less sore that's for sure

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Good information! There is at least one part that's not accurate for the 2nd gen MA. It says:

As such, Britax recommends that the lock-off farthest from the buckle be used.

And my manual states to use the lock-off closet to where the belt is buckled.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC