News News station in detroit- crash

hope41more

On the news today (don't have the link), a family was driving in a van, mom and 1 year old rf in back, dad driving and teenager in passenger. Mom is napping, teen is napping, dad falls asleep, mom wakes up when baby starts crying because car is going 112 mph. She wakes dad, who startles, van flips several times. Teen is ejected, serious condition. Mom and dad both in critical. Rear facing 1 year old? Doesn't even have a SCRATCH. THIS is why I erf. Survived a 112 mph crash unscathed!

ADS

Brianna

Oh no :( I hope teen and parents pull through. 112 mph and the baby was fine- this is just amazing

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

embassykh

Was the 13 year old not wearing a seat belt? I am praying everyone pulls through.

If the 1 year old was RFing, would it kill them to mention it? Maybe even make a big deal about it? Seems like that could make an interesting story for them.

Why don't they do that? It could help so many people who just have no clue they should RF past 1.

I was googling to see if anyone mentions a carseat and came across this one. Maybe it's already been posted, but OMGosh. :crying:

http://www.wvec.com/my-city/suffolk/6-injured-when-vehicle-overturns-in-Suffolk-147721215.html

Last edited:

Avery'sMama

CPST Instructor
This crash was in my county. I will be interested to see if one of our CPST's responded. Probably, because the two crash reconstructionists are both CPST's. I work with them often. If I find out more information, I will post. I worry a lot about my DH falling asleep at the wheel when we do late night family drives. Scary. :(

mamakc

1) the 1yo surviving is AMAZING. I want to know what seat they were in.
2) I have fallen asleep at the wheel as a teen. I woke up going over 95mph. By some miracle I didnt crash and I had the sense to stop and take a nap after that. So obviously this scenario does happen. I'm wondering, what would be the best course of action for a passenger in this situation? Try to put the car in neutral (possibly having to unbuckle) and attempt to steer? Or just sit back and pray? Lol Startling the driver awake seems to have resulted in a poor outcome in this case. :(

-Krista
DD~5 Monterey /youth booster
DS~3~ Maestro / radian
DN~1~ Radian xtsl

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC