Clek's response to 2014 LATCH issue

jubgulia

They answered:

clek Hi Julia-- Good question! This new rule has no impact on current seats (or seats manufactured in 2013). Foonf can safely be used forward-facing with LATCH installation up to 48 lbs or to the weight restriction listed in the vehicle’s owner’s manual, whichever is lower. This will continue to apply for these models beyond 2014. Child restrains manufactured after 2014 must adhere to the new labelling requirement, which changes the weight restrictions for the LATCH System to 65lbs (combined weight of seat and child), but will still defer to the weight restriction listed in the vehicle’s owner’s manual, if lower. This revised ruling was put in place to provide some consistency on LATCH use across vehicles and child restraints, in order to reduce potential misuse. In 2014, the Clek Foonf will be compliant with the new labelling requirements. It will be a lighter weight design to maximize LATCH use as per the new regulation and will continue to be safely used up to 65lbs with the vehicle belt installation method. Hopefully this helps.

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Hmm. The foonf weighs, like, 30 lbs. For it to comply after 2014, it would have to weigh 17 lbs to be usable with LATCH for a 48-lb kid. That's a lot of weight to shave off the seat.

tam_shops

If you're adding the weight of the seat and can't go past 48# and I'm reading that right, then that pretty much makes (all) latch virtually useless. If that's the case, it's an avenue for misuse and what's the point of it anymore? I use seat belt install for my guys and am now glad I do...

tam

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
The total LATCH weight--child plus seat--cannot exceed 65 lbs. The 48 lbs they're citing is their current LATCH limit for the weight of the child only.

bubbaray

irishmama3 said:
So then with a vehicle like Honda that states 40# limit, it would be 40# combined seat and child?

That's how I would interpret it.

So, hypothetically, with say a Frontier, that is a pretty tiny child that could use LATCH

I also don't understand what impact this may or may not have on LATCHable boosters.

Irishmama

Well, sheesh, that would make LATCH pretty useless in a Honda. I wonder if the LATCHable booster would only count the weight of the booster, since the anchors would only be holding the booster and the seatbelt would be holding the child?

canadiangie

Well, sheesh, that would make LATCH pretty useless in a Honda. I wonder if the LATCHable booster would only count the weight of the booster, since the anchors would only be holding the booster and the seatbelt would be holding the child?

The frontier for example is about 24lbs (if google is correct), which means it would never be latch'able in a Honda since the minimum weight for a child is 25lbs.

(unless I'm misunderstanding things, which is highly probable at this point)

Marvin711

I could be misinterpreting but I would say that since Honda limit is currently 40#child and doesn't take weight of child into consideration that it shouldn't be a problem to go combined weight of 65#??? They would have to be taking the weight of seat into equation at this point to say only use to 40#, right??
I see this being a giant mess...

Marvin711

Marvin711 said:
I could be misinterpreting but I would say that since Honda limit is currently 40#child and doesn't take weight of child into consideration that it shouldn't be a problem to go combined weight of 65#??? They would have to be taking the weight of seat into equation at this point to say only use to 40#, right??
I see this being a giant mess...
Ooops!! Meant they don't currently take weight of seat, not of child!

tiggercat

canadiangie said:
The frontier for example is about 24lbs (if google is correct), which means it would never be latch'able in a Honda since the minimum weight for a child is 25lbs.

(unless I'm misunderstanding things, which is highly probable at this point)

Well no, because 65-24=41, and Honda's limit is 40. So follow the lower limit, which is 40lb and you're fine.
If you have a 30lb seat, then 65-30=35, Honda's limit is 40, follow the lower limit, which is 35.
That's how I read it, anyway.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
Maybe I'm missing the entire point, but is it possible that vehicle manufacturers could be required to test anchors to 65lbs once this starts, so that all vehicleswould have LATCH rated to 65lbs, however that 65lbs would cover both the seat and the child?

It would sure make things much easier. Every vehicle and carseat starting in model year 2014 would have a 65lb limit, across the board, the only confusion being factoring in the weight of the seat.

Pixels

The new regulation is for child restraints only, not for vehicles. Seats manufactured in/after 2014 will be labeled right on the seat with the maximum child weight allowed for LATCH install. That max child weight, plus seat weight, mist not be more than 65 pounds.

Vehicle LATCH limits are unchanged by the new regulation. You will still have to find the vehicle limit and the restraint limit (which will be clearly labeled at least) and use the lower limit.

babygirlsmom1005

Not like there isn't a already high misuse rate >.<

Really, is the average Joe really going to understand what is happening and know how much their car seat weighs? IMO, most people will see the 65 lbs and think that they can use LATCH up to 65 lbs - not factor in car seat + child.

This should be getting easier for the average person to do, not more complicated. I foresee a huge huge mess (especially those that will think it is retroactive).

:(

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
babygirlsmom1005 said:
Not like there isn't a already high misuse rate >.<

Really, is the average Joe really going to understand what is happening and know how much their car seat weighs? IMO, most people will see the 65 lbs and think that they can use LATCH up to 65 lbs - not factor in car seat + child.

This should be getting easier for the average person to do, not more complicated. I foresee a huge huge mess (especially those that will think it is retroactive).

:(

The seats will have labeling stating the max weight of child allowed with LATCH. You go by that or the vehicle LATCH limit, whatever is lower. Not sure that 65# will even be mentioned? I thought it was only the max child weight that would be listed.

So it sounds to me like you can still misuse if vehicle manufacturers fail to disclose their limits like is common now, or if people don't realize that their seat has a limit and that their vehicle has separate limits that may be different. Unless I missed something and vehicle manufacturers are in on these changes too!

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm hoping the current 40-lb vehicles will just go ahead and defer to the seats after this. It would only make sense.

If a seat weighs 30 pounds, meaning the child weight is 35, that's totally cool with Honda. But a seat weighing 10 pounds, with a child weight of 55 pounds, isn't? It's all the same total.

hedgefun

LISmama810 said:
I'm hoping the current 40-lb vehicles will just go ahead and defer to the seats after this. It would only make sense.

If a seat weighs 30 pounds, meaning the child weight is 35, that's totally cool with Honda. But a seat weighing 10 pounds, with a child weight of 55 pounds, isn't? It's all the same total.

When you put it that way, Subaru's wonky child+seat limit doesn't seem so strange anymore... :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC