Question Mid-size SUV or Crossover for unpaved roads

Dorothy

CPSDarren said:
No need to apologize. Your new post mentioned circumstances had changed and what the newer requirements were. I thought it was perfectly reasonable. We all have gone through this when choosing a car, or a carseat, or almost anything else. Sometimes we just want re-assurance that our top choice is a good choice- nothing wrong with that!

I think the Flex will be fine for inclement weather and light off-roading (like gravel, dirt or sand). Heck, most cars with less ground clearance will be fine for a lot of this type of use. If you have deep snow in rural areas, winter tires are almost a requirement for any vehicle. If you are worried about wear and tear on the front end, you can always add a front end bra or clear bra to protect from scratches and chips.

Yeah, these big purchases are nerve-wracking! I could spend 15 minutes trying to decide what cottage cheese to buy, so, um, yeah... ;-)

Can you put the clear bra stuff on the body under the doors to protect that paint?

Sent from my phone using the app :)

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Yeah, these big purchases are nerve-wracking! I could spend 15 minutes trying to decide what cottage cheese to buy, so, um, yeah... ;-)

Can you put the clear bra stuff on the body under the doors to protect that paint?

Absolutely. In fact, some cars come with a plastic shield from the factory on the parts below the doors. If not, some clear bra pre-cut kits may include that area. For the ones that don't, a professional installer can certainly custom cut from sheet to cover it. That can get pricey, though, depending how much else you are covering. I only did the hood of mine. I personally don't care as much about the plastic facia, but every car I've owned has ended up with stone chips on the metal hood and that really bugs me, especially if it starts to rust lol. Others, especially exotic car owners, cover almost everything with the top-of-the-line products to the tune of thousands of dollars, then replace it after a few years if it dulls, scratches or yellows!

Dorothy

CPSDarren said:
Absolutely. In fact, some cars come with a plastic shield from the factory on the parts below the doors. If not, some clear bra pre-cut kits may include that area. For the ones that don't, a professional installer can certainly cut from sheet to cover it. That can get pricey, though, depending how much else you are covering. I only did the hood of mine. I personally don't care as much about the facia, but every car I've owned has ended up with stone chips on the hood and that really bugs me lol. Others, especially exotic car owners, cover almost everything with the top-of-the-line products to the tune of thousands of dollars, then replace it after a few years if it dulls, scratches or yellows!

Thank for the info!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
No problem. Be careful of dealer installed clear bra. Just make sure you call around to installers listed on the manufacturer's certified list for comparative quotes and also make sure what product the dealer is using.

If they use a lower quality product and you don't get a manufacturer's warranty, you may be disappointed in a year or two when the dealer doesn't stand behind it because they used a contractor and tell you to contact them...

Dorothy

CPSDarren said:
No problem. Be careful of dealer installed clear bra. Just make sure you call around to installers listed on the manufacturer's certified list for comparative quotes and also make sure what product the dealer is using.

If they use a lower quality product and you don't get a manufacturer's warranty, you may be disappointed in a year or two when the dealer doesn't stand behind it because they used a contractor and tell you to contact them...

Thanks, again. :)

luckyclov

Random, but I had to send DS1 (9) under a (parked) Flex today to get a library book DS2 threw out the car window (we were also parked) during a tantrum. He has a pretty substantial-sized head and was able to scoot under and out without much of an issue. Take it for what its worth, but that's pretty decent clearance, IMO.;)

I guess...don't rule it out yet, if that's what you REALLY think you'll be happy with.

I totally thought of this thread when I game him his orders to retrieve the book...I should have taken some pics. LOL.

Dorothy

luckyclov said:
Random, but I had to send DS1 (9) under a (parked) Flex today to get a library book DS2 threw out the car window (we were also parked) during a tantrum. He has a pretty substantial-sized head and was able to scoot under and out without much of an issue. Take it for what its worth, but that's pretty decent clearance, IMO.;)

I guess...don't rule it out yet, if that's what you REALLY think you'll be happy with.

I totally thought of this thread when I game him his orders to retrieve the book...I should have taken some pics. LOL.

Well, I certainly haven't noticed any rocks or holes the size of a child's head, so we should be okay. ;-)

Very funny! I appreciate the, uh, heads up. LOL!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC