3 across - vw passat 2XRadian + booster (Canada)

mel_t

Hi there,
we currently have a 2008 Passat with 2 radians and a graco snugride set up 3 across (snugride in the middle, both radians FF) my daughter is about to outgrow the snugride, so we are looking to move our 7 year old to a booster, and keep the baby and the 4 yo in the radians. Suggestions for best booster to buy? I am in Canada.

thanks!

ADS

tam_shops

Which Snugride seat do you have?

There is a 20# one, 22# one, 30#, 35.

Is there *extra* space between/around the seats?

Are the Radians (RN) installed w/ seat belt or latch?

It will give us a better idea about how much space you have.

And, do you have head rests where you'll want the booster to go?

If you have head rests I like the Monterey, NO idea if it will fit in your car, or not.

Clek is good if you do not have head rests.

The Graco Turbo Booster is affordable and well liked.

tam

mel_t

hi tam_shops - thanks for your reply

to answer your questions:

Which Snugride seat do you have?
There is a 20# one, 22# one, 30#, 35.
>>I believe it is the 30# one. it was made in 2007

Is there *extra* space between/around the seats?
>>no, the seats are pretty much "squished together" (to quote DH)

Are the Radians (RN) installed w/ seat belt or latch?
>>they are currently installed with latch

It will give us a better idea about how much space you have.

And, do you have head rests where you'll want the booster to go?
>>there are headrests, but I believe they can be taken off, so that's flexible.

I was looking at an older model Monterey that is on sale (Sunshine kids, which is now diono, I believe). I am having a hard time determining if the monterey is narrow enough to fit. we could have the positioning of the seats flexible (i.e. which one goes in the middle) but I'd prefer to keep the baby in the middle to keep the older ones apart.

tam_shops

When doing a tight three across, my first suggestion is always to use seat belts to install *all* seats b/c it can buy you an inch or two of space, which makes all the difference in the world.

My second on is to consider a Frontier if you can swing the space and/or money b/c dealing with a seat belt (doing it and/or undoing it and/or having the child crawl in/under it by leaving it done up) is a serious pain! The external seat width of the Frontier (19") and your Graco SS1 (19") are both the same--though I'm not sure if that includes the width of the base which in my experience is wider. Obviously, otherwise almost all 7yos are more than ready to go into a booster seat, so there is no safety need, simply an ease of use and even convenience reason to think about trying that as an option. And, that would also come from my own experience of dealing w/ an occasional 3 across in my car for car pooling and it being a serious pain and taking a few minutes to buckle my son's friends in while pushing/pulling/poking my hands and face where it otherwise doesn't belong!

As for your question and the most practical and cost effective thing to do at this time, boosters. The SKJP/Diono Monterey booster is 18" wide. Make sure you try (all/any seat) before you buy, the Monterey is known for having some incompatibility issues w/ the belt guides (it falls out and can be annoying). I like the SIP of the Monterey, but do not like the belt guides or that having a head rest is required, even thought it's a given that it's a good idea, required makes it more serious in my mind. All the booster measurements are found here. TurboBooster is 16" wide. And, of course I would put a 7yo in a high back booster, rather than a no back booster. And, the Britax one is 17" wide.

Also, just b/c one is 16" vs 18" doesn't mean the 16" one will and 18" one will not fit, it's more complex than that. Sometimes the wider seat will fit b/c of the way the arm rests sit/fit.

Finally, I would look at how and where your seat belts buckle and place the booster in the place that is least likely to create an accidental unbuckle on the part of the booster seat beside a car seat. I have a friend that just moved her 3yo centre w/ boosters both outboard. He'd been there for a day or so before she realized her son had accidentally unbuckled the car seat and she'd been driving like that...I simply had her flip the belt stalk of the car seat backwards so it wasn't in the way AND put the prickly side of a velcro strip on the button so he'd feel if he was pushing the wrong button again.

Hope that helps!

tam

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC