Vehicle suggestions

Jenelle

I currently have a 97 suburban so use to loads of space, but it's on it's last legs and the mileage is killing me. I'm a single mom so I'm looking for something newer and reliable or under warranty (but not brand new) as I just do not have time for maintenance.

I have 3 kids - 8 years(49" & 58lbs), 6 years(47.5" & 56 lbs) and 2 years (34.5" & around 30lbs). Currently I have 2 graco nautilus' and 1 Evenflo Symphony 65 e3 (FF due to sensory issues). I'd like to keep them in 5 point harnesses as long as possible and safe, though I realize my oldest is getting close to outgrowing it.

I was originally interested in the Ford Edge, but i'm reading it's pretty hard to get three across. I would be willing to buy new carseats to fit in the Edge if it were doable so i'm also open to suggestions for carseats. I'm now looking at the Flex as the space and mileage appeal to me.

I'm open to sedan (if I can find 3 carseats that work for my kids), crossover, and SUV suggestions but have ruled out a minivan already. What's important to me is good mileage, decent space (I have a BOB jogging stroller that goes everywhere with us) and safety.

Thanks for the help!

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
QuassEE said:
Is the Mazda5 too "minivan"?

When we were looking at minivans, we went to look at a Mazda5. The Mazda salesman practically begged us to go buy an Odyssey or Sienna instead. (Just because the Mazda5 wouldn't meet our particular needs.)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The new Kia Sorento is similar in size to the Mazda5 and has an optional 3rd row, decent mileage (with the 4-cylinder 2WD option) and decent safety ratings. Other small SUVs with a 3rd row available include the Dodge Journey and Toyota RAV4. If you avoid the V6 and AWD versions, mileage will be relatively good in all of them.

At the very least, with a 3-row vehicle you could put the 8 or 6-year old in the third row and not have to worry about 3-across.

The problem is that most compact SUVs really lack on your decent space requirement and midsize SUVs generally fall short on the good mileage requirement. It's all relative to how good much space and mileage you need, of course.

Jenelle

Is the Mazda5 too "minivan"?
Yes. I'm just not a fan

The new Kia Sorento is similar in size to the Mazda5 and has an optional 3rd row, decent mileage (with the 4-cylinder 2WD option) and decent safety ratings. Other small SUVs with a 3rd row available include the Dodge Journey and Toyota RAV4. If you avoid the V6 and AWD versions, mileage will be relatively good in all of them.

At the very least, with a 3-row vehicle you could put the 8 or 6-year old in the third row and not have to worry about 3-across.

The problem is that most compact SUVs really lack on your decent space requirement and midsize SUVs generally fall short on the good mileage requirement. It's all relative to how good much space and mileage you need, of course.
Sorento is a good option, I like what I can get for the money. But space for storage is limited. Still worth adding to the list to check out! Mileage, anything that gets better than what i get now lol. I think I get 11-17 mpg!!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Most of the larger midsize SUVs that have more space behind the third row are going to get considerably less mileage, especially as most are standard with a V6, or at least difficult to find without one. Real world, you might get 17mpg city or maybe a bit higher if you drive conservatively, perhaps in the mid 20s on the highway in one of the more fuel efficient models. Unfortunately, to get good cargo space and better fuel economy both, you're back to a minivan.

rara222

I was anti-minivan until the 2011 Odyssey came out and I drive it on a whim. I traded my Acura MDX for the Ody and plan on driving that thing for a loooooong long time! I love it!!!! It gets 23-24 mpg unless I do a lot of highway driving, when it goes up to 28-30 mpg. Seats 8 plus a BOB in the back.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC