Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Convertible seat for a tall and heavy kiddo

My daughter is about to size out of her keyfit30 for height, so it is time for a convertible seat. She has been in the 80th percentile for weight and the 90's for height, and I don't predict that changing any time soon. I drive a 2011 Nissan Altima and my husband has a 2008 Mazda Tribute.
    She sweats like crazy in the keyfit, so the ProRide seems nifty with its air vents. I also really like the way that the harness adjusts in tiny increments with the turn of a knob rather than having ~4 set harness height possibilities. Unfortunately, I'm reading a lot of negative things about legroom etc, and it only RFs to 35 lbs.
    The Boulevard70 has 10 harness heights, which seems like a lot of customization still. It RFs 5lbs longer, but if convertible seats are anything like her infant bucket, she'll size out for height first.
    I want to like the radian rxt more, but the head wings don't go low enough for her to use them yet (unless I am missing something?) and the harness isn't as easy to adjust.
    Is there something else I should be looking at? Other factors? I don't like her sweating so much, but if the proride is going to make her have to FF sooner than the others, I'll go with something else. Legroom seems cramped in both the proride and all the britax seats. The radian looks more roomy.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Convertible seat for a tall and heavy kiddo

I would just go with the Radian if you want a seat that will last, I agree the harness is a pain but if you tighten it before you click the crotch buckles helps. My DD is 95% for height and up at the top of the chart for weight as well and has a long torso...she out grew the Marathon 70 (same shell as the BLVD70) right around her second birthday. The Radian is a lot roomier then the britax seats DD has a lot more options with things she can do with her legs then before.

You may also want to look at the new clek foonf coming out its pretty awesome other then the price.

Good luck shopping.

CPS Fanatic

How is she outgrowing her KF? How old is she? If you want a Radian but don't like the headwings, why not look at the 65SL/R100 or 80SL/R120? The Britax new generation shells were shortened so, while they rf to a higher weight, they don't last as long rf. For a long baby, I'd look at the Radians and Safety First Complete Air 50/65.
    Oh, and most children will outgrow their seats in height before weight so that's pretty common
    Caleb Joshua: 8/17/2007; 45.5 inches, 46-47lbs, 17 inch torso; FF in a FN85 and Complete Air Sarah Rose: 05/15/2011; 22lbs, 31 inches; RF in a Britax Roundabout 50 and Combi Coccoro

She is outgrowing the keyfit for height (almost 30 inches long/less than an inch above her head when seated) and is 8 months old.

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

If she has less than an inch above her head then she's outgrown it. She's not outgrowing it. You need something ASAP.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

I phrased it awkwardly, she is ALMOST 30 inches and ALMOST less than an inch above her head. I obsessively check the head height every time we get in the seat these days. Regardless, yes, it is absolutely time for something new ASAP.

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Ok, whew. The 30" overall really doesn't matter. She'll be safe if she hits 30" and she still has more than 1" above her head. And she'd be unsafe if she didn't have that 1" and her head was over.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785