Question Convertible seat for a tall and heavy kiddo

kindyll

My daughter is about to size out of her keyfit30 for height, so it is time for a convertible seat. She has been in the 80th percentile for weight and the 90's for height, and I don't predict that changing any time soon. I drive a 2011 Nissan Altima and my husband has a 2008 Mazda Tribute.
She sweats like crazy in the keyfit, so the ProRide seems nifty with its air vents. I also really like the way that the harness adjusts in tiny increments with the turn of a knob rather than having ~4 set harness height possibilities. Unfortunately, I'm reading a lot of negative things about legroom etc, and it only RFs to 35 lbs.
The Boulevard70 has 10 harness heights, which seems like a lot of customization still. It RFs 5lbs longer, but if convertible seats are anything like her infant bucket, she'll size out for height first.
I want to like the radian rxt more, but the head wings don't go low enough for her to use them yet (unless I am missing something?) and the harness isn't as easy to adjust.
Is there something else I should be looking at? Other factors? I don't like her sweating so much, but if the proride is going to make her have to FF sooner than the others, I'll go with something else. Legroom seems cramped in both the proride and all the britax seats. The radian looks more roomy.

ADS

Kegracin

I would just go with the Radian if you want a seat that will last, I agree the harness is a pain but if you tighten it before you click the crotch buckles helps. My DD is 95% for height and up at the top of the chart for weight as well and has a long torso...she out grew the Marathon 70 (same shell as the BLVD70) right around her second birthday. The Radian is a lot roomier then the britax seats DD has a lot more options with things she can do with her legs then before.

You may also want to look at the new clek foonf coming out its pretty awesome other then the price.

Good luck shopping.

armywife12

How is she outgrowing her KF? How old is she? If you want a Radian but don't like the headwings, why not look at the 65SL/R100 or 80SL/R120? The Britax new generation shells were shortened so, while they rf to a higher weight, they don't last as long rf. For a long baby, I'd look at the Radians and Safety First Complete Air 50/65.
Oh, and most children will outgrow their seats in height before weight so that's pretty common

kindyll

She is outgrowing the keyfit for height (almost 30 inches long/less than an inch above her head when seated) and is 8 months old.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If she has less than an inch above her head then she's outgrown it. She's not outgrowing it. You need something ASAP.

Wendy

kindyll

I phrased it awkwardly, she is ALMOST 30 inches and ALMOST less than an inch above her head. I obsessively check the head height every time we get in the seat these days. Regardless, yes, it is absolutely time for something new ASAP.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Ok, whew. The 30" overall really doesn't matter. She'll be safe if she hits 30" and she still has more than 1" above her head. And she'd be unsafe if she didn't have that 1" and her head was over.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC