Did I do the right thing?

Mama2J

Here's another one of my work conversations I like to get myself in trouble with. ;) One of the girls started telling us about how her son has this car seat with the bar that comes down, and he still fits in it ok but the buckle won't reach anymore, so they pull the bar down and leave it unbuckled. So I said that most of those seats are only supposed to be used up to 40 pounds, and that in a crash, it would not hold him, and without being buckled would be even more dangerous. She said, Oh really, well I'm not sure how much he weighs. (He is 5 and big, I'm thinking at least 50 pounds.) I said, I'm really worried about what would happen to him in a crash; please buy him a booster seat. She said she would check Walmart.

I'm all for extended harnessing, but I was thinking that he would be safer in a booster than this outgrown, unbuckled OHS. I did not mention getting a higher weight harness seat, because she would not have spent the money, and I wanted to suggest something that she might be willing to do. The general opinion in the office is that I have way overpaid for my gigantic carseat, so I didn't want to go there. What would you have done?

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I probably would have done the exact same thing in your situation. I also (if the opportunity arose) would have checked the seat out as I am a tech and explained why she needed to switch it that day. ;)

mommy2env

*I* think your right, you suggested something that she might do. She should be able to afford a booster, or get it from the health department. Maybe you should mention the HWH, she probably wont buy one but you did *your* part in informing her.

The other day, I went to the market and parked next to a car with an OHS that was broken. Yes the shield was broken, I couldnt believe my eyes. So I wrote a note and put it on the window of the drivers side. I wanted to see if they would read it so I went and sat on some tables that were in the area. When the family came out they did notice the note. The father (Im guessing) read the note, and actually went into the backseat to check the carseat. I was so glad that at least my note made him take a better look at the seat. I hope he went to buy a new one.:(

amy919

*I* think your right, you suggested something that she might do.(

Exactly the reason I would have suggested the same thing. Not what I would do for my own child, mind you, but in this case, I think a booster is safer that an incorrectly used OHS.

southpawboston

right. so many times the safest outcome is one in which a person can be convinced to make a sacrifice, to get into a situation that is safer than the current situation. if you had tried to talk her into a regent, the advice would go unheeded and her DS would most likely continue to be riding around completely unsafe. but by suggesting a financially less burdensome and "more palatable" alternative, you are increasing the likelihood that the child will be put into a much more safer setup than he is currently in. :thumbsup: i would have made the same suggestion.

EDIT: thining about it more, the APEX would also be a great alternative HWH to a regent, albeit still a tad more expensive than a booster.

skipspin

I think I would have done something similar.

"Oh, well a booster would be much safer and easier than what you are using now. He must be squished in that seat and it's not safe at all. If you don't think he'd sit the right way in a booster and needs something in front of him the Apex is a great seat that he could still be buckled into...)

Connor's Mom

right. so many times the safest outcome is one in which a person can be convinced to make a sacrifice, to get into a situation that is safer than the current situation. if you had tried to talk her into a regent, the advice would go unheeded and her DS would most likely continue to be riding around completely unsafe. but by suggesting a financially less burdensome and "more palatable" alternative, you are increasing the likelihood that the child will be put into a much more safer setup than he is currently in. :thumbsup: i would have made the same suggestion.

EDIT: thining about it more, the APEX would also be a great alternative HWH to a regent, albeit still a tad more expensive than a booster.

:yeahthat:

Mama2J

Thank you all! For a while I was questioning myself that I would tell someone to buy a booster. I was listening to her and picturing this child riding around like that, and part of me thought maybe I should stay out of this. Then before I knew it, I was telling her to buy a booster. Well I hope she buys one soon!

He is a pretty tall kid, so I think he would need a Regent or Radian hwh seat. I'm thinking he would not last much longer in one like the Apex, then they would be back to the potential for misuse. So I figured at least a booster he can use until he is ready for a seatbelt by itself.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
her son has this car seat with the bar that comes down, and he still fits in it ok but the buckle won't reach anymore, so they pull the bar down and leave it unbuckled.

You were absolutely correct! At the regional NHTSA conference there was a workshop on crash testing -- they compared an unbuckled OHS vs. buckled.... The dummy was ejected & the head was torn loose by the bar :eek::(

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I agree with everyone else and think you definitely did the right thing by suggesting a booster. It sounds like the kid is plenty big enough and old enough to be in a booster. It would be so much safer than what he is in right now. I just don't understand how anyone could think it would be safe to let a kid ride in a seat that isn't buckled. :confused: :eek: :confused: Please update us when you know more!

Mama2J

Update: She bought him a backless booster, and gave the OHS to someone for their 2-year-old. Not ideal, but at least he's out of the OHS and buckled. I just hope the new owners of it know when to stop using it. Thanks for all your thoughts on this!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC