Considering new seats all around. What would you pick?

mamakc

We downsized to one car, our 2000 corolla, currently trying to sell our 7 seater. We have two children and are done so it will be fine. However, I watch my niece so I need to pretend I have three. We don't want to try our luck again playing the used car lottery to get something bigger for a part time kid when we like the one we have.

Another thing you should know: I'm lazy. I don't want to buckle all three if I don't have to. ;) I don't want to adjust seats every time if I don't have to. Etc. lol Dd can buckle and unbuckle most car seats, but HATES continuous harnesses. They trip her up big time. Ds can buckle britax-like buckles and the original maestro buckle but not the new one. Having them share seats means a lot of seat adjusting and help buckling. It is seriously cramping my style. Lol

Right now I have an ok set up. Rf radian behind passenger, ff complete air behind driver. Ds goes in the radian dd in the ca. Unless dn is with us then ds gets bumped ff and if dd is with us she goes in a youth booster in the middle. I'm comfortable with this bc dd is in school and almost never gets bumped to the booster. The only problem so far is that the radian blocks my blind spot check point, but I can't put it behind the driver, there wouldn't be enough room. Also DD can't buckle herself in the booster it's too tight of a fit.

When school let's out next week I will always have all three with me. So I am interested in starting completely from scratch. Dn will be 2 this month and I would be willing to ff her but I think her mom wants to keep her rf. : love: So I will in my car too. I want dd & ds ff harnessed.
The car has no LATCH, has contoured seats (and I HATE tilting seats...whine lol), three shoulder belts, two removable head rests, and three top tethers. Radians are very difficult to install ff.

Stats:
Dd 5.5 yo 42" 43lbs 15" torso
Ds 3.5 yo 38.5" 37 lbs 14" torso
Dn 23.5 mo 32" 28lbs 14" torso

If you read this novel thank you. If you have ideas, double thank you!

-Krista

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
How do you feel about the My Ride? Thinking that if you want to keep DS RF you could get a RF MR center with your RF RN outboard, and then have lots of room to get in a FF seat on the other side - maybe a Maestro. That would be relatively inexpensive if you already have the Maestro, or if the CA will fit there.

That's my go-to compact space setup lol, the RF RN - RF MR combo.

mamakc

I don't think ds will fit in the myride by height. If so it would be barely. I would rather he be ff. I get claustrophobic in that car with rf seats center up between the driver and passenger. Plus I can't see over them to back up.

Eta: I just measured him he is 23.5" from his bum to the top of his head. Will he fit rf in a myride?

-Krista
DD~5 Monterey /youth booster
DS~3~ Maestro / radian
DN~1~ Radian xtsl

mamakc

Brianna said:
RN RF behind the driver seat with AA?

That is how the rn is now on the passenger side, the driver seat needs to be able to go back farther to accommodate dh than having it driver side would allow. With the aa, installed center, both front seats can go all the way back, it's amazing really, but again I can't see around it when it's center.

Here's one example of why we need a mini radian

-Krista
DS~3~ Maestro / radian
DN~1~ Radian xtsl

Brianna

How much farther back does DH need it, and can you brace in your 2000? I assume no advanced air bags.

mamakc

What about that new graco seat? Is that going to puzzle well like the mr? Maybe that & rn ff for ds & dd and....??? Rf for dn?

-Krista
DS~3~ Maestro / radian
DN~1~ Radian xtsl

embassykh

I'm confused. Why would your DS RF in the Myride, if you went with Carrie's suggestion? Wouldn't he stay in the RN? Maybe I missed something.

mamakc

embassykh said:
I'm confused. Why would your DS RF in the Myride, if you went with Carrie's suggestion? Wouldn't he stay in the RN? Maybe I missed something.

Jeesh I don't know I'm confused too. Lol starting fresh has my head spinning.

So.... Here is what I want. I need seat suggestions for this arrangement: DD -ff passenger side, DS -ff center, DN -rf driver (in something much smaller than a rn...so that leaves the rn open for dd or ds) I know none of my current seats fit ff next to the rn. I have a maestro, ca65lx, and avenue or rf next to the rn if it's ff center.

Your heads are spinning too now, right?

-Krista
DS~3~ Maestro / radian
DN~1~ Radian xtsl

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
My suggestion was to keep your DS RF in the RN as he is right now, put your niece in the MR, and then something FF for your DD. Sorry that got confusing somehow.

I didn't suggest anything that involved a FF RN since you said it didn't install well.

I will come back later and try some more suggestions - just wanted to clarify what I was talking about lol!

mommycat

I thought the radian and Complete Air puzzled well when facing same way? I was going to suggest you try FF radian outboard, FF CA center and a narrow rf seat other outboard.

mamakc

mommycat said:
I thought the radian and Complete Air puzzled well when facing same way? I was going to suggest you try FF radian outboard, FF CA center and a narrow rf seat other outboard.

I can probably get the ca center and rn outboard but the big challenge there is finding a rf seat that would fit.

The rn in a challenging install. Not impossible, but it makes me not want to do it more than once lol

-Krista
DS~3~ Maestro / radian
DN~1~ Radian xtsl

mamakc

Sigh. I'm just not finding the ca to be 3 across friendly at all

-Krista
DS~3~ Maestro / radian
DN~1~ Radian xtsl

mommycat

I wonder if a FF MR (oops not MA) center would puzzle with a RF CA? I know it fits well with the Radian facing the same way.

mamakc

I have the calx so maybe that's why it's not puzzling like I'm told the ca does. The base is flared and doesn't like to sit close to anything. I'm really ready to part with it, dd hates the continuous harness.

Here is a pic of the current set up, to provide a picture of the space I'm working with. The outside seats are as far out as they can get and the youth booster barely fits.

PicsArt_1339210033000.jpg

Do the britax seats play nice both directions with a ff radian? Like would ff ma, ff rn, rf ra possibly work?

-Krista
DS~3~ Maestro / radian
DN~1~ Radian xtsl

mommycat

I have never seen an lx so i dint know for sure but that sounds like it could be the problem. Not sure about the new Britax seat designs either. I haven't bought a new convertible in a couple of years.

Katy

Not sure this helps since you want 2FF, but I know a RF radian (center) puzzles nice with a rf CA65LX (pass outboard). I didn't have the AA at the time though. The radian fit just fine in between the seats. It bought a lot of space to put a FF seat on the drivers side.

mamakc

I definitely want two ff bc I want the only rf-er behind the driver so it doesn't block any blind spots. It's too difficult to put the rf-er in the car in the center. So behind the driver it is.

If I put the rn ff outboard, something that puzzles ff center for ds (myride? Marathon? Classic or new?), what rf seat (smaller than the rn height wise) would fit rf next to it?

Would dn fit in a cco?

-Krista
DS~3~ Maestro / radian
DN~1~ Radian xtsl

Kat_Momof3

PicsArt_1339210033000.jpg

where are the headrests in the corrolla? the little girl in the center looks like her eyes/tops of ears are at or just below the top of the vehicle seat and that she's going to need the support from the headrests

I get that you are using the dreamtime now, but this problem is going to come up again as the kids get older.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC