Obssessed with Carseats?

J'sMamaCC

Ok, so since I've found this website, I have become super obssessed with carseats (& ERF) and find myself suggesting people better educate themselves on carseat choices for thier kids...:eek:

Last weekend we were at a picnic & an acquatience of ours wants to put her 5.5yr old from his marathon into a backless boster?!?! I was like, UM- PLEASE don't do that! I suggested the Graco Nautilus cuz it's the only one that came to mind, but she said it was expensive. :confused: I couldn't think of others to tell her so I gave up on that... BUT her new baby is due this fall & she wants to re-use the 5.5yr olds infant carrier seat for baby which I also suggested that was not a great idea becuase it might be expired- which I think might have touched a nerve somehow becuase she walked away :(

Another friend of ours has a 2 yr old (that has been FF since 1) wants to get him to a booster in a year and move her newborn to FF when she does the seat switch, cuz baby will be 1. I told her AAP says kiddos should RF till at least 2 or max weight of thier seat- and she said that's just a suggestion :eek:

My newfound obssession with carseats is making DH batty- I showed him the Clek foonf & told him I wanted it for our DS (who is nearing 7mon) & just about fainted at the price tag :p He said that he'd consider spending the $$ for the Britax, & he liked the Recaro seat (DH's a car nut) and said it's "cool" for DS- :cool: LOL. (He said the moo-cow is more 'girly' even though we have the chaperone in the cow print that DS rides in now) But that the price tag on the foonf was crazy :crying:

ADS

PunkyMonkey

I feel the same way... DH thinks I'm nuts and I'm getting to the point where I'm hiding my car seat purchases :X hahaha...

I think a lot of my friends don't talk about car seat things with me because they know how I am and don't want to hear about it.

I just don't understand how people can think Milestones are cool.. I feel like people are wishing their babies would grow up so quick they can't wait to get out of a carseat and diapers... I am the opposite!

I think its "uncool" to have your kid rear facing longer than 1... people don't talk about it to me because they know how I feel about it. I don't care if that makes us nerdy but SAFETY is and will always be first! :D

J'sMamaCC

Punky- I agree about people wishing away milestones & "hurrying" kiddos to grow up. I got all choked up when my DS hit 6 months & now that he's nearing 7mons I am like WOAH- slow down!!

(Side note- how do you like the Blvd & ProRide? Maybe I can convince DH we need both of those instead of getting ONE foonf LOL :p )

PunkyMonkey

I just sold the ProRide, I loved it but it sat up so high that it ended up being a huge blind spot for me! I had it in an Acura TL and then a new Honda Pilot... I thought it was just my Acura being smaller that it was an issue but it was the same in the Pilot. FF no problem at all (used it for a friend's DD a few times, never for mine!) but RF it was just SOOO in the way and could have to do with my height and other factors but I loved the seat and really tried to make it work for a while!

The Blvd 70 I love... hands down the EASIEST latch install I've ever come across. I mean 2 seconds and it doesn't budge. We have Zebra cover and Onyx which are both great.

Just picked up a Roundabout Classic 50 and a cowmoo cover and going to break our cowmoo virginity tomorrow!!!!! (will post pics I'm sure :D)!

java

I will post random links on fb, but otherwise I have given up! I do not say a word to friends anymore, they won't listen anyway.

I am nuts now though...I can't walk into target or walmart without checking out the seats.

I can't drive down the road without watching for carseats and just hoping to see a rfing toddler irl.

I look at seats in parking lots.

I am never happy with my seats, I want new ones, I wanna try it all!

I actually want a new car that is bigger so I can play with seats that don't fit in ours like the truefit or myride

PunkyMonkey

I will post random links on fb, but otherwise I have given up! I do not say a word to friends anymore, they won't listen anyway.

I am nuts now though...I can't walk into target or walmart without checking out the seats.

I can't drive down the road without watching for carseats and just hoping to see a rfing toddler irl.

I look at seats in parking lots.

I am never happy with my seats, I want new ones, I wanna try it all!

I actually want a new car that is bigger so I can play with seats that don't fit in ours like the truefit or myride

:yeahthatlove: ALL of this (except I bought the bigger car to play with recently!!). I hate when I cannot ID a seat... its always some weird Ferrari car seat or something I have to google hahaha

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Last weekend we were at a picnic & an acquatience of ours wants to put her 5.5yr old from his marathon into a backless boster?!?! I was like, UM- PLEASE don't do that! I suggested the Graco Nautilus cuz it's the only one that came to mind, but she said it was expensive. :confused:

In the carseat world there are a bunch of things I would sweat over before a 5.5 year old in a backless. I'd rather see that child in a high back, but not for safety reasons. The high back would give him someplace to rest his head, adjust the shoulder belt, and put shell around him to remind him to hold still. But I wouldn't have suggested a Nautilus at all. A booster is perfectly appropriate at his age. Provided he's in the weight limit of the booster she choose, that's ok. A backless will reduce injuries by up to 79% compared to the seatbelt alone. Hardly nothing.

BUT her new baby is due this fall & she wants to re-use the 5.5yr olds infant carrier seat for baby which I also suggested that was not a great idea becuase it might be expired- which I think might have touched a nerve somehow becuase she walked away :(

Possibly, and it's a good idea to remind her of the dates, but it's also quite possible it has enough time for the baby to outgrow it (let's assume it's a Graco Snugride 22 and was made in 2006). That would give it until December of this year. So it's very possible she'll get enough months out of it to make it to a convertible. I also wouldn't expect it to self combust on January 1, since a January 1, 2006 Snugride and a December 31, 2006 Snugride both expire on December 31, 2012. That means that the Snugride could go nearly seven years. Now this is an assumption on her infant seat. But Chicco is six years from DOM, and Dorel, Evenflo infant seats (at that time, at least), and Graco were all December of the sixth year. I think Baby Trend is as well. So unless it's a Peg or a Chicco, there's a decent chance it'll be ok for her next baby for a few months.

My newfound obssession with carseats is making DH batty- I showed him the Clek foonf & told him I wanted it for our DS (who is nearing 7mon) & just about fainted at the price tag :p He said that he'd consider spending the $$ for the Britax, & he liked the Recaro seat (DH's a car nut) and said it's "cool" for DS- :cool: LOL. (He said the moo-cow is more 'girly' even though we have the chaperone in the cow print that DS rides in now) But that the price tag on the foonf was crazy :crying:

I agree with your husband. Unless you need a Foonf, there are perfectly good seats available at a much lower price. However you did just get the ok on some pretty expensive seats. Better to ask for the Foonf and "settle" for a Britax (which is significantly shorter, and the Recaro has no leg room and is hard to get kids in and out of) than to ask for a My Ride and then change your mind and have sticker shock to the Britax. :) "Dad, can I have $100?" "Certainly not!" "How about $50 then?" "That's much better."

Wendy

Kel

Don't forget if you get a Foonf, your DH might expect you to use it forever, lol!

I have 6 kids from 12yrs down to 11 wks. And I ALWAYS get board with my seats. I would rather spend less and change seats more often, lol.

I like lots of colors. I'm going after the BLV70 next in Caitlin.

Kel

cmcki737

I know allot of people on here drool over the foonf but for me light and comfy is much more useful and the Graco MyRide 65 is a much better use of money...IMO :)

Kat_Momof3

for the foonf, you gotta show him all the safety info on their site... you gotta show him the typical guy who is into cars stuff... numbers, what's IN the seat, the mechanics of it and what makes it (if you can afford it and it fits your child and vehicle) safer in some ways than other seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC