Anyone have a Kia Sedona or know anything about them??

becca011906

Senior Community Member
What do you think, they seem to get good ratings not great but good. Safety ratings are great though, what about car seats??? We plan to test drive one this weekend but i was just wondering. Also hows the reliablity of kia's me and dh weren't sure??? Thanks!

ADS

bethng

What do you think, they seem to get good ratings not great but good. Safety ratings are great though, what about car seats??? We plan to test drive one this weekend but i was just wondering. Also hows the reliablity of kia's me and dh weren't sure??? Thanks!

I had a 2002 sedona EX for 4 years and it was a wonderful van. Just a few months ago we turned it in for a 2006 model. I wanted the stow and go seating. We have two dc's in the van. One in a captians chair rf and one ff in the 3rd row. Both installed easily. I have had no complaints with either van.

becca011906

Senior Community Member
I think we are going to be looking at the EX modle, wish i could find one with the dvd player installed but haven't had any luck yet... I'm mainly worried about the radain installing well/easy in there b/c it looks like the stalks are stiff on the seat belt is that right?

Also how many tethers are there in the 3rd row? is there LATCH back there at all? Thanks so much!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I looked up the LATCH manual entries for the Sedona for you. :) All Sedonas from the '02-'05 model years (original design/body style), and the '06-'07 models (current version), have full sets of LATCH (lower anchors and tether anchors) in the second row outboard and third row outboard seating positions. :thumbsup: The tether anchors are located on the rear of the seat at the bottom. The LATCH manual says the maximum weight for LATCH or tether anchors is not provided, and the inner lower anchors from the outboard LATCH positions may not be used to do a center LATCH installation.

Hope this helps, and happy vehicle shopping! :)

Melanie

I have an 04 Sedona, it's always having problems. I read somewhere that the 06/07's are suposed to be better though.

Mine has 25,000 miles on it...I can't tell you how many times it's been to the dealership. Mostly for minor things...the cd player quit working, the plastic molding on the seat broke, the plastic holder for the gas cap broke, the hatch light quit working. I'm currently having my first real mechanical/safety problem that Kia is still trying to figure out after about 4 visits...sometimes it loses power and either almost dies or actually does die.

The gas mileage is terrible....the best I get is 18. It's usually closer to 13 for around town, short trips w/the AC on.

I should also say that I got it 1 year old with 8,000 miles. It had been a dealer demo so I'm sure it had been driven hard. BUT, I didn't expect to have so many probems so soon.

Car seats have installed easily. I've had a roundabout, decathalon, boulevard and snug ride in most of the seating positions. One nice thing is that the bottom latch anchors have a little indentation in the seat fabric so they are super easy to get to. Mine has lower & upper teathers in the middle seat and upper in all 3 positions for the 3rd row (i think)

becca011906

Senior Community Member
thanks so much jean, i only have the '05 latch manual so i wondered if it was differant for the '06-'07 models (which is what we are looking at). So that's 4 full LATCH that good...

So when they say that, i mean to refer to your car seat limits or do you go with the 40# limit???

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
You're welcome. :) My interpretation is to go by the LATCH limits in the carseat manual, unless by any chance there's something more specific in the Sedona's manual.

Synchro246

My '03 has been great. A couple of minor problems, but nothing big. I read that newer ones have reliability up near Toyota and Honda.
My latch is the EASIEST install EVER. Serisously, it takes me all of thirty seconds to get a ROCK SOLID install of our boulevard & maybe a minute on our SS1. I am looking to down-grade to a sedan, not because I dislike the van, just because I don't really need a van. If I needed a van Hyundai/kia would still be a front runner :thumbsup:

bethng

The gas mileage is terrible....the best I get is 18. It's usually closer to 13 for around town, short trips w/the AC on.

)

ya, my gas mileage sucks too. Its about 17. But really, after owning two of these vans, thats my only complaint. Maybe I got lucky but my 02 never had any issues. Just routine maintainence. My new one is doing well too ...but only had it about 6 months. My dc's install very easily. One is with the LATCH and one with the seatbelt.

magoose

I have an 04 Sedona, it's always having problems. I read somewhere that the 06/07's are suposed to be better though.

)

They changed the way they are made in 2006. I am looking to buy a used one but am not interested in ones made before 2006 because of reliability concerns. So I guess I will not be buying a used Kia as I need an older van because of $. The 2007 is supposed to be great no. 1 safety and quality. Gas milage is still bad no.6 out of 9. The 2007 is no. 1 editors pick www.cartruckindex.com
Anna

becca011906

Senior Community Member
well we looked at them, test drove them, they are what thier price is IMO, they are pretty basic... the fabric is pretty lower grade, the dealer ship had about 10 used '06 that just didn't seem to settle well with me, i mean why so many ??? they didn't really answer me either. and of course all the used models were only LX so NO options, nothing was power except the windows and locks, no power seats or doors or anything eles. they did have an '07 new with all the options for a mear 27K, sorry but for that i would get an odysse, ya know??? I just wasn't impressed with them at all.

magoose

Ugh well that doesn't sound good. I guess the best way to find out if it is good for your family ultimately, is to do what you did and go and test drive the vans. Anna

well we looked at them, test drove them, they are what thier price is IMO, they are pretty basic... the fabric is pretty lower grade, the dealer ship had about 10 used '06 that just didn't seem to settle well with me, i mean why so many ??? they didn't really answer me either. and of course all the used models were only LX so NO options, nothing was power except the windows and locks, no power seats or doors or anything eles. they did have an '07 new with all the options for a mear 27K, sorry but for that i would get an odysse, ya know??? I just wasn't impressed with them at all.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC